An Amtrak Valentine's Day Incident from the Past

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thirty-three years ago today, we celebrated Valentine’s Day by taking a Pacific Surfliner from downtown San Diego up to San Juan Capistrano to have lunch. Just north of Del Mar, our train suddenly came to a stop. After about 15 or 20 minutes, it started moving again but at 25 miles per hour. An announcement was made that an earthquake had just occurred and that our train was required to travel at a reduced speed until the tracks ahead of us could be inspected for damage.

From Del Mar to San Juan Capistrano, the tracks run mostly next to the shoreline and, since it was a beautiful, sunny day, we got to enjoy some spectacular scenery while our train crept along. Fortunately, we were not on a tight schedule and were not inconvenienced by the late arrival at our destination.

After an enjoyable lunch, we caught a southbound Pacific Surfliner for the trip back to San Diego. By then, our train was running at its usual speed. It seems like only yesterday. Happy Valentine’s Day.

Eric & Pat

I couldn't find anything specific about a February 14, 1988, earthquake, but I did find news reports of a 5.0 earthquake on February 11, which was said to be an aftershock of the October 1, 1987, Whittier Narrows earthquake (which was "only" magnitude 5.9 but caused a fair amount of damage because it was relatively shallow). Definitely possible that what you encountered was the result of another aftershock.

I've been at that earthquake and among other strong ones in southern California. It was a pretty good shake! My last earthquake was in Idaho, close by Stanley, ID which is very rare on its magnitude.
I've been on the Starlight several times in each direction when there were earthquakes around the Bay Area and LA, and everytime we had to stop and wait for the Tracks to be Checked and Cleared, and once underway @ a Greatly reduced speed, arrived Several Hours late @ my destination.

Riding in the Pacific Parlor Car was definitely the way to Roll! 🥰

Back