Anderson to AA?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed...ever since they eliminated most domestic in-flight service, the airport airside restaurants have really grown to fill that 'vacuum'. At one time, there wasn't much more than newstands and bars on the concourses. You had to exit security, when they started that, to find a decent terminal restaurant.
Except for Starbucks, all of the Eating and Drinking Places @ the Austin Airport are Local Joints and we even have Live Music going on!

the airport airside restaurants have really grown to fill that 'vacuum'.

The increase in the variety of different restaurant types has been interesting to watch. Not so interesting has been the increase in the prices for the same food, i.e. at a McDonald's, at a restaurant off the airport's perimeter.

The increase in the variety of different restaurant types has been interesting to watch. Not so interesting has been the increase in the prices for the same food, i.e. at a McDonald's, at a restaurant off the airport's perimeter.
In their defense, airport establishment's cite the 'exorbitant' rental and other fees they pay to the airport operator.

IIRC, a while back, the Pittsburgh airport got their retail tenants to agree to all charge "street prices" for their items. They did this to try to make the airport into a 'neighborhood shopping mall', and attract a lot of extra non traveling customer's to shop and dine there. Since it is no longer a hub airport (US Air), I don't know if that practice still continues or if it fell by the wayside...

IIRC, a while back, the Pittsburgh airport got their retail tenants to agree to all charge "street prices" for their items. They did this to try to make the airport into a 'neighborhood shopping mall', and attract a lot of extra non traveling customer's to shop and dine there. Since it is no longer a hub airport (US Air), I don't know if that practice still continues or if it fell by the wayside...

I think they still do this. Or maybe I'm mixing it up with Portland.

Airport retail is a big money maker for airports, which in turn keeps airline fees lower. I use to be friends with an airport manager at DFW and his main job was retail and restaurants. Over the last 20 years, they've discovered that bringing in local cuisine and retail really made the passenger experience a positive one.

Back