Andrea Doria

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“The Limitation of Liability Act of 1851 limits the potential damage payout to the post-accident value of a ship plus the value of the ship’s freight – but only if the ship owner lacked knowledge of the problem or conduct leading to the accident.”

The current edition, #308, of "Power Ships" magazine has an article about the "Andrea Doria". It simply has to be the most beautifully proportioned ship ever to sail.

Grief, when one sees contemporary "Love Tubs", "Doria's" beautiful lines are are so appreciated.

20190218_095631.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The current edition, #308, of "Power Ships" magazine has an article about the "Andrea Doria". It simply has to be the most beautifully proportioned ship ever to sail.

Grief, when one sees contemporary "Love Tubs", "Doria's" beautiful lines are are so appreciated.
I already mentioned this in another thread, but it's worth repeating. The QE2 conquers all one it comes to beautiful ocean-liners and cruise ships:

shutterstock_686837659.jpg

About3_head.jpg

Ships built as liners tend to look sleeker than boxy modern cruise ships. The liner United States, tied up in Philly, despite its faded paint, is still a thing of beauty. Hopefully it will get some love in the near future.

Ships built as liners tend to look sleeker than boxy modern cruise ships. The liner United States, tied up in Philly, despite its faded paint, is still a thing of beauty. Hopefully it will get some love in the near future.
Wow, that is one sleek ship. :eek:

694940094001_5720161589001_5720150467001-vs.jpg

Sadly, it is very faded right now.... If you watch "Parking Wars" reruns, sometimes you can see it in the background of certain exterior shots at the PPA impound lot.  Amazing liner, Blue Riband holder (fastest Atlantic liner crossing) built and fitted out with virtually no wood to reduce fire hazard....

I enjoyed Mr. Miller's article and photos, as well.  I agree that inside and out, she was a beautiful ship.  I regret that I was never able to sail on her sister, Cristoforo Colombo or the ship that the Italian Line built to replace Andrea Doria, Leonardo da Vinci.  

Cristoforo Colombo carried Michelangelo's Pieta to the NY World's Fair for display at the Vatican Pavilion. They were very concerned about what would happen if the ship sank (well considering it's sister did I get it) so they had a special crate that would float if the ship went down. Replicas were made to test packing methods. The one surviving exact replica from that project resides in Douglaston at Immaculate Conception Center.  I feel like I may have posted this somewhere before, if it was here, I do apologize....

From the Vatican Guide to the Pavilion:

Pieta_2.jpg

Cristoforo Colombo carried Michelangelo's Pieta to the NY World's Fair for display at the Vatican Pavilion. They were very concerned about what would happen if the ship sank (well considering it's sister did I get it) so they had a special crate that would float if the ship went down. Replicas were made to test packing methods. The one surviving exact replica from that project resides in Douglaston at Immaculate Conception Center.  I feel like I may have posted this somewhere before, if it was here, I do apologize....

From the Vatican Guide to the Pavilion:

Pieta_2.jpg
I do remember this.  Thanks for the photo; have not seen that before.  I remember seeing the Pieta at the World's Fair.  It's setting in the Vatican Pavilion was stunning!

The replica at Douglaston:  where is that?  I am not familiar with that location.

Here is Andrea (male) in this ship beauty contest that seems to have started here.

images.jpeg

I remember this so well and the information that you have provided makes my memory that more meaningful.  The article reminds me of the "snaking lines" and the moving walkways.  I had forgotten those.  The serene blue color and lighting where the Pieta was situated:  that is still vivid in my memory    The Vatican's presentation of the Pieta obviously made a deep impression upon me.  The "dawn of a new age" of unity among nations which Pope Paul VI hoped would occur remains more illusive today than it did in 1964.

It's a funny thing how things pop up.I was talking to a class the other night about an old NYS Power Authority powerplant that was replaced by a combined cycle plant It was the Poletti Plant, and he (Charles Poletti,) was the person in charge of foreign relations for the Worlds Fair, and is considered the person most responsible for making the arrangements with the Vatican  that allowed the Pieta to come to NY. One of the apprentices asked who Poletti was, and why was the plant named for him. (Lt Gov, Gov for 1 month, on Board of Power Authority, post war work with the State Dept)

So I remember reading way back in the day, either in Car & Driver or Motor Trend (probably C&D, was more up their alley) an article about conspiracy theories regarding the automobile industry (obviously in a car mag). Anyways, they were saying that the Andrea Doria was intentionally sunk because Chrysler had some to secret prototype or show cars being shipping from Ghia (yes, as in Karmann Ghia) in Italy which were going to revolutionize American car design or at least shoot Chrysler way ahead (why they could recreate them since I assume they had drawings and study models, I don't know....). They were destined, well, headed, that's too final of a work, to one of the major auto shows, and since they didn't arrive, well, the revolution never happened.

So the Stockholm was purposely steered to intercept the Andrea Doria's course?  Or Captaiin Calamari, the Andrea Doria's Master, steered his ship into the path of the Stockholm?  Captain Calamari went to his grave grieving over the loss of his ship and the lives entrusted to him.  He never returned to the sea after the accident.  The Captain of the Stockholm was given command of the new Swedish American Line's M. S. Gripsholm as a sign of confidence in his ability, I suppose.  (He was not on the Bridge at the time of the collision, if you recall.)

Metra Electric Rider:  what you recall having read was hogwash.  

So the Stockholm was purposely steered to intercept the Andrea Doria's course?  Or Captaiin Calamari, the Andrea Doria's Master, steered his ship into the path of the Stockholm?  Captain Calamari went to his grave grieving over the loss of his ship and the lives entrusted to him.  He never returned to the sea after the accident.  The Captain of the Stockholm was given command of the new Swedish American Line's M. S. Gripsholm as a sign of confidence in his ability, I suppose.  (He was not on the Bridge at the time of the collision, if you recall.)

Metra Electric Rider:  what you recall having read was hogwash.  
Pretty sure you mean Captain Calamai.  I'm rather sure there were no squid in command of the Doria. Or any other Italian Line vessels. ;)

Pretty sure you mean Captain Calamai.  I'm rather sure there were no squid in command of the Doria. Or any other Italian Line vessels. ;)
Captain Calamari would be a really good name for a children’s show about the life of a squid with a fishing boat, though.  :lol:

Oh my gosh!  I'm so embarrassed!  I thought I had proof-read what I wrote before I posted the comment.  Apologies to the Captain's family and to AU members for my carelessness.

So I remember reading way back in the day, either in Car & Driver or Motor Trend (probably C&D, was more up their alley) an article about conspiracy theories regarding the automobile industry (obviously in a car mag). Anyways, they were saying that the Andrea Doria was intentionally sunk because Chrysler had some to secret prototype or show cars being shipping from Ghia (yes, as in Karmann Ghia) in Italy which were going to revolutionize American car design or at least shoot Chrysler way ahead (why they could recreate them since I assume they had drawings and study models, I don't know....). They were destined, well, headed, that's too final of a work, to one of the major auto shows, and since they didn't arrive, well, the revolution never happened.
The "Chrysler lost a prototype car made by Ghia" bit is accurate. It was the Norseman: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Norseman 

The rest is....uh, probably not true.

The "Chrysler lost a prototype car made by Ghia" bit is accurate. It was the Norseman: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Norseman 

The rest is....uh, probably not true.
Well, I *did* say conspiracy theories...  :ph34r:

But boy, that was one ugly car... Makes me think the good taste coalition sank it.

I remember commenting to a friend about the documentary, how dressed up (quite fashionable even) all the Italian officers were and how laid back and casual the Swedes were who they interviewed (though I suspect that the Swedes had more comfortable retirements in some ways). Apropos nothing, just thought I'd share something irrrelavent.

Back