Ann Arbor retractable platform

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly what I would consider retractable (I expected something mechanical).

As business class is usually four cars away from the car where the train is loaded, it's a mixed bag trading a long walk for the ease of bringing luggage aboard.

I have not seen any results or conclusions from the experiment, but am somewhat surprised that the platform is still in Ann Arbor.

Even when the platform is extended out in Ann Arbor I see in the video they still need to use a plate to bridge the gap. VIA uses something similar along the high platform at Central Station in Montreal. 20180620_185252.jpg

Even when the platform is extended out in Ann Arbor I see in the video they still need to use a plate to bridge the gap. VIA uses something similar along the high platform at Central Station in Montreal. View attachment 20710
Yes, in the RLE video, the Amtrak accessibility czar said the problem was that the higher the platform, the greater the clearance needed for freight traffic. So I guess a bridge plate without the moveable platform would not be practical.

I don't know whether the profile of the car precludes the platform moving close enough to allow traversal of the gap without a bridge plate.

Back