Anniston, AL parking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

What is the long-term parking situation like at the Anniston, AL depot? I'm assuming from a look on google maps that it would be free and looks like there's several parking spots and also possibly some sort of NS office or something in/adjacent to the depot, so I'm also assuming it'd be a safe enough spot to leave a car for a few days of a trip?

What is the long-term parking situation like at the Anniston, AL depot? I'm assuming from a look on google maps that it would be free and looks like there's several parking spots and also possibly some sort of NS office or something in/adjacent to the depot, so I'm also assuming it'd be a safe enough spot to leave a car for a few days of a trip?
There are 6 Amtrak parking spots on the left hand side of the station. The whole front of the station is used and a county bus terminal so you can't park directly in front of the station. You can most definitely park over a few days.

There are two employees for the bus system on hand during the day and an Amtrak caretaker comes in about an hr or so before the trains are scheduled to arrive. Also NS has an office in the old freight house behind the main station, so someone will always be at the station.

I will tell you that the area directly across the tracks has been known for high crime in the past but has improved. The station was recently remodeled and is in good condition. Originally the whole area was to be redeveloped along with the remodel but the economy put that plan on hold.

Overall I think you would be just fine to parking there long term. Its no more dangerous than parking at a Walmart.

There are 6 Amtrak parking spots on the left hand side of the station. The whole front of the station is used and a county bus terminal so you can't park directly in front of the station. You can most definitely park over a few days.

There are two employees for the bus system on hand during the day and an Amtrak caretaker comes in about an hr or so before the trains are scheduled to arrive. Also NS has an office in the old freight house behind the main station, so someone will always be at the station.

I will tell you that the area directly across the tracks has been known for high crime in the past but has improved. The station was recently remodeled and is in good condition. Originally the whole area was to be redeveloped along with the remodel but the economy put that plan on hold.

Overall I think you would be just fine to parking there long term. Its no more dangerous than parking at a Walmart.
Thanks for the information!

Is this info still current?

Is it still safe to park there overnight for a few days?

Anytype of registration needed to do so?

As of July 2011, the info was still current. I've not been there since then. We've parked at the Anniston station for eight days many times, with no problems. We always checked with the Amtrak station person first, and we were always told it was fine to park there. The station is not in the busiest part of town, however. There is some kind of store across the street, and some homes. I don't know if we were just lucky or what, but no one ever bothered our car.

Just as a matter of curiosity, during the years from 1998 - 2011 I departed from and parked at for several days at a time ATN literally dozens of times. For the last ten years my departures have been from SAV. I am this Thursday once again departing from ATN and wondering if anyone in this wide universe has any current information on the Anniston AL station--available overnight parking, etc? I literally have not be to Anniston in 10 years.

If you don't get an answer, contact the city. I had a similar question about Amtrak parking in Hinton, WV and even a posting on Tripadvisor's forum got no reply. I called he city and they told me where there was free parking overnight at a city water park a couple of blocks from the station - and told me it was lighted and well patrolled by the police.

Back