Announcements and Music in roomettes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
I have forgotten since l last rode a LD train, and then again it was not a pleasent trip in a Transdorm, but I leave in about a week for SWC4 and CZ5. The channel selectors, can you hear the announcements in your roomette or switch to a channel to have piped in music?

It would be sweet if they had satellite radio stations to pick from, but sadly, it's just the scratchy PA / "Charlie Brown Teacher" station.

I have heard that if you set the channel to #1, you can hear the train announcements.

My experience has been most of the time, the PA system does not work in my rooms.

A couple of times when boarding the Coast Starlight in SEA or LAX the Sirius/XM in the PPC was set to some happy boarding music which was being piped through the 1MC to the entire train. Makes for a very enjoyable welcome.

A couple of times when boarding the Coast Starlight in SEA or LAX the Sirius/XM in the PPC was set to some happy boarding music which was being piped through the 1MC to the entire train. Makes for a very enjoyable welcome.
last trip north on the cs we had to suffer through the sirius frank sinatra station lax-sea in the ppc. several of us asked if it could be changed, turned down or turned off. the answer from the ppc attendant was "no"

Last edited by a moderator:
last trip north on the cs we had to suffer through the sirius frank sinatra station lax-sea in the ppc. several of us asked if it could be changed, turned down or turned off. the answer from the ppc attendant was "no"
A good Attendant should be able to change the station to the consensus of the pax if the pax even care. I'm more than satisfied with Jazz which is what is usually on. Good smooth traveling music makes the PPC experience that much better.

The Auto Train HAS two satellite radio stations in the sleepers that you can listen to. I was told by our SCA that the channels are operated and chosen by the Lounge Car attendant. The favorite broadcast so far on my trips was listening to Cousin Brucie Morrow. He was one of my favorite DJ's growing up in the metro New York City area in the 60's.

Guess I never really looked at the channels in the superliner, are there ear jacks or what?? If so are the ear jacks the old style large one or the small ones we plug into our iPod?

How does it work in the sleepers? I mean, if one can listen to XM radio does that mean others are subjected to the music in our roomettes? Personally, part of the reason I ride the train is to get away from my neighbors who blast music till 2 AM. The last time I was on the CS was 2011 and they didn't have anything piped into the PPC as I recall.

Classical is nice and neutral, but the kids might complain. :)

How does it work in the sleepers? I mean, if one can listen to XM radio does that mean others are subjected to the music in our roomettes? Personally, part of the reason I ride the train is to get away from my neighbors who blast music till 2 AM. The last time I was on the CS was 2011 and they didn't have anything piped into the PPC as I recall.
They discontinued the "music" channels on the PA on most trains (apparently other than the Auto Train, which I've never been on) some years ago. Now the only live channel is "1" with announcements (assuming it works).

As to the PPC, I've been on it when the attendant brought his own sound system and played it in the car. They didn't blast it, and the time I really remember it was mostly Big Band music, which did provide nice ambiance for a rail journey in my opinion. I don't recall them tying it in to the car's PA system that time, though.

The CZ has also discontinued piping the CA RR Museum docents' commentary between Sacramento and Reno over the PA into the sleepers and coaches. On my last couple trips (Feb 2013), the first docent made an announcement for all to hear at the start of the journey segment that there would be a commentary, and those wishing to hear it should move to the SSL car. Then, the second docent made another all-cars announcement near the end with the standard plug for the CA RR Museum.

I found this personally to be a welcome change, since I had probably heard the full spiel at least 20 times by then riding in either coaches or sleepers.

We have only been in a sleeper on the CZ . No music and every now and then a piece of the announcements. But not form the speaker in the room, form a speaker in the ceiling of the hallway to the exit doors.

It would be nice if there were a "Like" button or Thanks after I read a post. Others say exactly what I am thinking. :) The post with Charlie Brown teacher announcements is a good example.

The CZ has also discontinued piping the CA RR Museum docents' commentary between Sacramento and Reno over the PA into the sleepers and coaches. On my last couple trips (Feb 2013), the first docent made an announcement for all to hear at the start of the journey segment that there would be a commentary, and those wishing to hear it should move to the SSL car. Then, the second docent made another all-cars announcement near the end with the standard plug for the CA RR Museum.
I found this personally to be a welcome change, since I had probably heard the full spiel at least 20 times by then riding in either coaches or sleepers.
I find that to be a bit upsetting because as I tell my friends a man hasn't lived until he's crossed Donner Pass and a man hasn't crossed Donner Pass until he has done so by train.

I can understand them limiting the commentary to the SSL during Winter months when probably all folks interested get in there. But during the summer when it is easier to find 4 seats together on the last lifeboat off the Titanic, they need to keep it going throughout the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back