Another Auto Train Deal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to book a trip for my family (four people) in late February and got the following error message:
The promotion code entered is not valid for this reservation.

My reservation was not for one of the blackout dates, and the proper fare came up when I tried to book.

I was looking, and didn't see where any promotion code was needed. Coach fares were $29 and rooms from $129 (but Bedrooms were over $1,000) for LOR > SFA on January 19.

No promotion code is needed, but that's the error message that I got.

I'm currently on hold trying to book the ticket by phone.

Due to blackout dates, the cheap rate is not available for my return date so it looks like we will drive all the way back home. But that's okay.

Last edited:
It does appear also that on sale (non blacked out) dates the amount of discounted room inventory may be limited particularly for full bedrooms - I noticed on some dates the $29 coach and $129 roomette but high priced bedrooms while on other days I see the advertised $329 bedroom.

I have found in the past that many of the "special offers" have to be booked through the "promotion page" - that there is not a "code" you can enter on the homepage booking form to get the deal.

$337 seems to be the lowest fare. I tried booking with points but it is not allowed. That price is about $100 lower than the Silver roomettes. I have done all the LD trains multiple times but never the Auto Train because I don't mind the drive and the autotrain was too pricey. This is a great deal. In addition you get real dining! I ll probably book it in a few days.

Is this counting the fee for the car? or are you saying the $129 fare does not exist?
Technically,yes but you have to have a car. The lowest price is $208 so it is $337. If only sleepers for an overnight could be $129 on Amtrak!

Has anyone actually successfully booked a bedroom for $389? I am looking on multiple non-blackout dates and see coach (no thanks) for $58 for two people and bedrooms the typical $1,300+

@Exvalley Thanks for posting! I was having the exact same issue and tried everything. Was waiting for an Amtrak callback and then realized thanks to your post that you cannot book these low fares with points...despite the website allowing you to get to the very last "purchase" click before delivering the vague and inaccurate promotions code message. Well, at least I found a flash sale BR on the way back (no luck on the way down).

I had booked SFA-->LOR for 12/30 for myself and my bride. Two of us, car + priority offloading in a bedroom was $1259.

Just checked this morning, and the room was now $555. Called and ended up with a $409 refund to my CC after the car and priority fees were accounted for.

Moved from Car 5244 room C to Car 5247 Room A. The best I can find is that maybe car 5247 is an added car to match a surge in demand? I can't find any consist info that shows a car 5247. The all seem to go: Engine-Engine-TransDorm-5245(sleeper)-5243(sleeper)-5241(Deluxe Sleeper)-Lounge-Diner-5240(Deluxe Sleeper)-5242(Sleeper)-5244(Sleeper)-Coach-->>>>

So I'm theorizing that 5247 will slot between the Crew Dorm and the 5245 car. That seems to make sense, right? And I know that depending on how they orient the car, I'll be riding backwards but at the front of the car if the rooms are on the left side of the train, but riding forward but at the back of the car if the room are on the right. At least, I think I know that.

Always looking for a train ride and escaping the cold weather in Pa. I booked the Auto Train from Sanford to Lorton in February for $337. I have taken every LD train multiple times but never the AT because of the price and I don't mind the drive. At this price point it's $100 cheaper than the Silvers and the bonus of real food.

I almost thought of the $29 Coach fare,but the thought of being exhausted in the morning and the fact I'm driving to Central Pa from Lorton made that additional$100 with meals ano brainer. If only roomettes just for an overnight could be as low as $129!

I could fly and rent a car,but the novelty of the Auto Train and the low price made it appealing. I flew to Fort Lauderdale last week and got back yesterday. A week before my trip Priceline had a weeks rental from Hertz at $155 tax included.I thought of taking the Star back North but at $600 for a roomette I declined.

The sale ends Friday. There are some good deals left.

Back