another fare hike? (PA?)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barciur

OBS Chief
Hello

Has there been another quiet fare hike, or did I miss that? Was just looking at booking a ticket to New York and just yesterday, an advance 25% saver fare was $44 for Lancaster to New York - today it is $46. Standard is $61, which is also higher.

LNC - PHL on a weekday was $19, now it is $20. Friday and Sunday still $20, for now anyway.

As Steve said, fares gradually go up every once in a while. It's to be expected. At least it's not a significant price hike, of which I've seen plenty.

That fare hike hit in the middle of the night. I booked an Acela from PHL-RTE for X amount of dollars. That price is now $4 higher now and it's the same bucket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fares for the LD trains remain unchanged since the Fall of 2017. However, the new fiscal year is only 10 days away.
default_unsure.png

I have been buying the monthly pass between Ardmore, PA and NYC for the past three months at a fare rate of $1458. Starting with the October 1 pass, the fare is $1520, a 4% increase.

I have been buying the monthly pass between Ardmore, PA and NYC for the past three months at a fare rate of $1458. Starting with the October 1 pass, the fare is $1520, a 4% increase.
It seems every time I go to get gas, the price changes by 4%. To me, a 4% change in commuting cost, is expected (though hated too).
default_biggrin.png

I guess what surprised me, as a new Amtrak commuter learning how the system operates, was the absence of any advance notice that the multipass fare was going to rise. I'm aware that the price of single ride tickets fluctuates based on demand but multi-pass tickets seemed to be set per route so I guess my expectation was that price increases would be announced. Can I expect multiple price increases to hit during the year? Or are prices for multipass tickets adjusted only at certain times of the year?

And unfortunately, my job is paying for the monthly pass only in the sense that it pays my salary. I used to drive every morning to 30th St Station to catch a Bolt or Megabus to NYC and while it's much cheaper (and about the same amount of time), I switched to commuting on Amtrak to lessen the wear-and-tear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back