Another Food Option at LA Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not new. Haven't seen this discussed before but the Metropolitan Water District's (MWD) "Courtyard Cafe" is open to the public for breakfast and lunch. I've been walking past here twice a day for nearly 4 years on my daily Metrolink commute. Yesterday, I had some time to spare to I headed in for breakfast.

Exit Union Station near the car rental counters, Metropolitan Lounge, etc. and head across the courtyard to the entrance. Sign in with the receptionist and get a visitor tag for the restaurant. I had a decent omlet, home fried potatoes and coffee for about $8.50. Not bad.

If you're looking for something to eat besides Subway, Wetzel's, etc. you might check it out.

20171101_163024.jpg

20171101_163041.jpg

20171031_065149.jpg

I love it (not) when a photo is the correct orientation on my computer and then rotates 90° when uploaded! I guess AU isn't auto-orientation aware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, go to Philippes. It's the only reason to be in LA anyway.
I’m planning on it when I get off #3 on Wednesday morning. Do they serve their French Dips at breakfast? Is it safe walking distance or should I plan on Uber. Luggage will be at the station.
Safe? I think it's unlikely you'll be mugged on your way to breakfast. They had the French Dips available last time I was there.

I’m planning on it when I get off #3 on Wednesday morning. Do they serve their French Dips at breakfast? Is it safe walking distance or should I plan on Uber. Luggage will be at the station.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
You can't get a french dip til after 10:30am and it is an easy and safe walk. As far as breakfast goes, it doesn't get any better than that. Highly recommend and prices are reasonable. https://www.philippes.com/breakfast.html

Philippes is a quick walk and great for breakfast Between the station and Phillipes you will pass by possibly the highest priced gas station in the country When I passed by there two weeks ago regular unleaded wasc $4.69 a gallon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Amtrak Forum mobile app

As FrensicPic said( good find), try the Courtyard Cafe @ Union Station if Philippes reasonable and filling Breakfast doesn't appeal to you!

And for junkies, there's Starbucks right in the Waiting Room!

Besides Philippes is there a place to get decently strong coffee near the station. Please dont say Starbucks. That is dishwater.

Don't know about the Philippe breakfast, never tried it. The French Dip, eh, sort of reminds me of the Seventh game of the World Series.
The breakfast at Philippe's is passable but nothing to write home about. Which is fair I suppose; it's not like it's their focal point or anything. For me the mix of breakfast and French Dip fragrances was a bit much to stomach first thing in the morning.

Besides Philippes is there a place to get decently strong coffee near the station. Please dont say Starbucks. That is dishwater.
Not sure if it's an issue with the roasting side and/or the brewing side but it always tastes burnt to me. I guess most people buy those coffee-parfait things to cover up the horrible taste?

You can't get a french dip til after 10:30am and it is an easy and safe walk. As far as breakfast goes, it doesn't get any better than that. Highly recommend and prices are reasonable. https://www.philippes.com/breakfast.html
I just called Phillipes and the person answering the phone THOUGHT they should be serving them now. Lost my phone connection before I could reclarify this.

Philippe is fine. I head there myself on occasion, but for those who simply do not want to leave Union Station another option is available.
Not sure I want to go there with only breakfast available before 10:30. Do you have other options? In the station or nearby?

You just got one at the top, before it became an ode to Philippes.

In Union Station, across from the Amtrak ticket windows, is a pastry shop. Decent coffee at a decent (non-Starbucks) price. I'm not a pastry person but, I have bought coffee there. If there is an alternative to Starbucks available, I'll take it!

DA is right; Starbucks over roasts their beans, which gives the impression of flavor while using a mediocre coffee at far too weak a strength. I dont expect to find coffee to my liking (espresso beans, fresh ground, French press, thick consistency) but you can sometimes find a place that has passable coffee. They are usually independent and run by middle easterners or Indians, and have more than one pot, the good one being labeled French roast or dark roast- neither of which are burnt the way Starbucks is. The going price is about $1.80 for 24oz.

I spoke to a barista that seemed to know his stuff and mentioned that I despised most of Starbucks coffees and disliked the rest. His response was that Starbucks made a business decision early on to maximize the shelf life of their roasted coffees by making their french roast cook a bit longer than was normal. Doing so made their roasted coffees shelf life noticeably longer but it also exacerbated the bitterness of the beans while minimizing the choclate'y aspect of the flavor profile.

If you try Starbucks blonde roasts you will notice that they aren't quite as bad as the french roasts.

Not sure it is the complete truth but it seems to make sense.

Peet's is much better.

Don't know about the Philippe breakfast, never tried it. The French Dip, eh, sort of reminds me of the Seventh game of the World Series.
The breakfast at Philippe's is passable but nothing to write home about. Which is fair I suppose; it's not like it's their focal point or anything. For me the mix of breakfast and French Dip fragrances was a bit much to stomach first thing in the morning.

Not sure if it's an issue with the roasting side and/or the brewing side but it always tastes burnt to me. I guess most people buy those coffee-parfait things to cover up the horrible taste?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back