Another Northwest Loop Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I returned from another of my Northwest loop trips early this morning. I take an annual trip around the Northwest this time every year, to take advantage of the long daylight hours and to get in one last vacation before the anniversary date of my employment comes up (July 1st). I usually go to Seattle first, then down to Portland and back to Spokane, but being the wild and crazy guy I am :lol: I decided to go to Portland first, then up to Seattle, and back to Spokane.

I was scheduled to leave early on the morning of the 27th, so to ensure that I didn't oversleep, I woke early on the 26th.....at 2:45 AM, fully 24 hours before I was to leave. :eek: I just HAD to start checking the status maps!!!! Of course by that time #27 was already a couple of hours late and would end up being, at its peak, 4 hours and 40 minutes late at Havre. Knowing I'd be up early, and coming from a long, proud line of fussbudgets and nervous Nellies on my mother's side of the family, I knew I wouldn't have the good sense to lie back down at all during the day, so I did put that nervous energy to good use. I planned to spend the afternoon at Spokane's Riverfront Park, site of the World's Fair, Expo '74. Part of the attraction was one of the features showing at the IMAX theatre in the park, the Rocky Mountain Express. Just something to get my train experience kick-started. I then planned to drive to Grand Coulee Dam, some 90 miles west of Spokane, to a laser light show they give nightly during the spring and summer months. It began at 10PM, so that would fill some time too.

I did spend the day in Riverfront Park, and then went to Coulee Dam. At that point, I knew that 27 was going to be late, though west of Havre it was making up pretty good time. After the show, I drove back to Spokane, had a nice leisurely late dinner at Chez Denny's :lol: and got to the Spokane station at what normally would have been an hour or so before the train was to depart. Didn't happen, of course, so had a long wait. I had my first crisis of the trip occur while waiting. I'd gone into the bathroom to freshen up, and found my bag of toiletries missing. Ohhh nooooooooooo!!!! :eek: I couldn't go for several days without them and couldn't go back home to get the bag. Fortunately there is a 7-11 a few blocks from the station so I was able save the day, especially for those who might have been near me. :lol: #7 finally came rolling in around 4:30 AM, just under 3 hours late, but thanks to the servicing crew in Spokane kicking up a notch or two, we got underway at 5:15 AM, a mere 2 1/2 hours late, which, considering the 4 hours and 40 minutes late it had been at Havre, wasn't bad at all. Besides, not that there's much to see, but I'd never seen the full Spokane-Pasco route in full daylight, so this was my chance.

When I boarded the train, fully half of the coach was reserved for groups of two or more. I was fortunate to snag the sole remaining single seat on the left side of the coach, the side for viewing the Columbia RIver. It was interesting to see those areas in daylight I'd never seen before, even around Spokane, which I've seen thousands of times, but not from a train's eye view.

Despite being 2 1/2 hours late getting started, I must say BNSF did a great job of dispatching. At all of our successive stops on 27, we not only didn't lose time, but in fact gained a little. And this was with slow orders between Spokane and Pasco, as it appears that BNSF is adding more tracks through that section and enhancing others. I suspect a huge grain terminal about 50 miles from Spokane and the resulting increase of grain trains on the BNSF line is a reason for this. We encounted numerous freights along the way and not once did we have to wait.And thanks to padding between Vancouver and Portland, we got into Portland only a couple of hours late. Not bad, really. The view in the gorge was great. It was nice and sunny, at least till Wishram, where it began to cloud up. The trip from Spokane to Portland really went very well. The conductor/car attendant Debora was excellent. First time I'd ever seen anyone working the coaches spruce things up with Febreze. Part of that was, I'm sure, to get the car ready for the short turn in Portland. She had an excellent personality, and did a great job. She helped diffuse a potentially volatile situation in the car ahead of us as a baby, who from the gist of the conversation was sick, cried and squalled at the top of her lungs for the entire length of the trip. Apparently one "suggestion" by one of the passengers was to throw the baby out the window. :angry: Now my kid threshold isn't very high, but that was ridiculous. And Debora let that passenger know just how ridiculous that was. And the lounge attendant was great too. His name was Rod Pasko (appropriate name for someone working #27 :lol: ) and he was great too. Funny, enthusiastic, and really showed he enjoyed his job. Wish all Amtrak employees were like that. He's one of the best lounge car attendants I've had. Most of them seem to prepare for their shifts by sucking on sour lemons first. :wacko:

All in all, a great trip to Portland. We made up half an hour, and I guess I was so excited about traveling on Amtrak (been nearly a year since I'd been on a train) that the baby crying didn't faze me in the least.

(to be continued)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff: Dave is right, this was too Short of a Trip! You should have gone to CHI on the EB, taken the Zephyr to SAC, then the CS to PDX, then on to SEA, to Vancouver ,BC. back to SEA, then towards Home on #8! You wasted Vacation days by hanging around PDX and SEA when you could have been on a LD Train! :giggle:

Nice report (so far). But your starting point is wrong! :p
You're supposed to do the loop trip from PDX-SEA-SPK-PDX and then continue on to LAX on 11! That's why I do. :)
Jeff: Dave is right, this was too Short of a Trip! You should have gone to CHI on the EB, taken the Zephyr to SAC, then the CS to PDX, then on to SEA, to Vancouver ,BC. back to SEA, then towards Home on #8! You wasted Vacation days by hanging around PDX and SEA when you could have been on a LD Train! :giggle:

Yeah, I know it's downright blasephemous to take Amtrak to, you know, actually GO somewhere. And there are at least a couple of folks who will chime in and tell me how stupid I was to use Amtrak in such a manner. :eek: That said, I'm being even more blasephemous by saying I can't really afford to take those longer trips without the use of AGR points because I'm trying to get a car loan paid off. That plus I only had five days of vacation put me in the situation of using Amtrak for honest to goodness transportation. :)

When I got off in Portland, I noticed the presence of a K-9 unit on the platform. I'd have laughed myself silly if the dog had alerted onto the luggage of the family walking off ahead of me: A large Amish family. :lol: Since my layover in Portland had been cut by 2 hours, I decided to have lunch at Jake's and forget Powell's. Not really a tough decision; my stomach always wins out in situations like that. :lol: I had a good lunch there too: trout garnished with sliced almonds and half a loaf of excellent sourdough bread. When I got back to Union Station, I noticed that the young one who had cried the whole time on the train had settled down: at least from crying. She wasn't quite a baby; young toddler more like it. She was running around the station shrieking at the top of her lungs. Thank goodness she got on the Coast Starlight!!!!! An odd phenomenon happened to me while I was in Union Station, the same phenomenon that seems to happen every time I'm there: A random stranger forced me at gunpoint into the gift shop and tried to force me into buying souvenirs!!! :eek: ;) :p They really need to beef up security there! :lol: I resisted this random stranger this time though!

When it was time to board Cascades #516, there was one small item missing: the stool. It wasn't easy getting onto the train without it, while holding onto my duffel bag, camera bag, and trying to keep my backpack from falling off. Once there and into my assigned seat, someone asked me if I would move so he could sit across from his buddies. No biggie to me, as all the single seats on the Cascades were all alike as far as I was concerned. And it turned out someone else had been assigned my seat as well. Somehow the agent messed up on the other guy's assigned seat and not mine. That taken care of (he moved to an unoccupied seat) I was reminded why, even in business class, I like Superliner coaches better: much more leg room and I like the two electrical outlets right below the window instead of one outlet at seat level. The guy whom I exchanged seats with and his buddies began a non-stop conversation for the entire length of the trip. From what little I paid of the conversation, particularly the names they were dropping, I think they had the mistaken impression that somehow they were just a little more important than the rest of us. I know I got a look of utter disdain from one of them when I attached my GPS unit to the window, acting as if I'd just fallen off the turnip truck. :rolleyes: Not that their nor anyone else's opinion about me matters.

We were a little late at each of our station stops, nothing really out of the ordinary, and with padding in the schedule, actually made it into Seattle 10 minutes early. The trip up to Portland was very smooth, though the OBS crew was basically non-existant, choosing to shuffle papers in the bistro car. Isabella, the bistro car attendant, was very good. She ran a tight and well-run ship. Of course no trip to the west side would be complete without rain; it was pouring at the Centennial Station at Olympia/Lacey, and rained pretty much the rest of the way into Seattle.

Once in Seattle, I rode the l Link Light Rail train from the Chinatown-International District Station, the light rail station nearest King Street Station, to its endpoint at the Westlake station, which was just a three-block walk to my hotel. The hotel I stayed at, the Moore Hotel, very much a no-frills hotel. One of the frills they do without is air conditioning. Now, in Seattle, air conditioning even in the hottest days of the summer is ordinarily not really necessary, but for the time I was there, it was very warm, and certainly could have used A/C. But with the combination of a room on the shaded side, an open window, and a small fan blowing at full blast, it actually stayed pleasantly cool for the duration. Having been up for the better part of 40 hours, once I got checked in, I went up to my room and collapsed.. Been a long time since I'd slept for as many as 11 hours!

(to be continued...........)

Onward! On Friday the 28th I awoke bright and early, and in the process of getting ready for the day, found my heretofore missing toiletries. They'd been at the bottom of the duffel bag I was using and were covered up by a black pair of shorts. The bottom of the duffel bag is also black, and in the rather dim light of the bathrooms of the Spokane station somehow overlooked it.

I went to Lowell's, in Pike Place Market, for breakfast, where I wildly overpaid ($24+) for breakfast. I had their dungeness crab omelette, and though the price is ridiculous, I always am willing to pay that ridiculous price for that particular breakfast. I had plenty of time after breakfast to wander around the market and along the waterfront. I had a reservation to go on the Argosy cruise to the Tillicum Village , which began at 11:30, so to kill some more time, walked up to the Link Light Rail station at Westlake and rode the train round-trip to/from Sea-Tac Airport. Imagine that, riding a light rail train just to be doing it!!! :lol: The round-trip took about 90 minutes, and it was just like riding Amtrak: several slow-downs and stoppages due to heavy traffic. At one point, on the return, at a point where the light rail runs at street level, one of the stoppages was due to the presence of several emergency vehicles, due to a house on fire right next to the street.

After that, it was time for the cruise. I was glad I did it, but personally don't think it was worth it and wouldn't do it again. Shows how little of a social life I have, though, as during the lunch, we were entertained by Native Americans putting on their fine show. First time in my life I'd been to a dinner show of any kind!. The day, after starting out with a few drops of rain, turned out absolutely gorgeous, especially for Seattle. After returning to the waterfront, I walked around for a bit before going back to Pike Place and to my hotel for the day.

Saturday, June 29th

I began this day by deciding, on a whim, to take a ferry over to Bremerton, a one-hour one-way journey. I'd only been to Bremerton a time or two, both by car, and I had no idea what the area was like around the ferry terminal. (By the way, is it just me, or is the use of the word "rerminal" in regards to the ferry in this case and also at airports just a wee bit disconcerting??? ) :wacko: :eek: I found out enough know that another trip to Bremerton on the ferry is in the cards the next time I visit Seattle. I would love to see the Puget Sound Navy Museum, for one thing, There is also the tour aboard the USS Turner Joy, a tour of a Navy destroyer utilized during the Vietnam War and now docked at Bremerton. Both of these are one my "must-see" list for next time.

After returning to Seattle, it was time for lunch, and my next touristy activity: the Seattle Duck Tour. The vehicles used in these tours are amphibious vehicles used in WWII, and the tour itself is highly entertaining. This I'd do again too.

Following the Duck tour, I rode the Seattle Great Wheel, a large Ferris wheel located on Seattle's waterfront. I'm not sure it was worth the 15 bucks to stand in line for a half hour in 90 degree temperatures, but then again it's very rare for Seattle to see those kind of temperatures. I'm not sure I'd do it again, though I'm glad I did it just to see what it was like.

Next up: Sunday and Monday.

Jeff: Wow! $24 for Breakfast! :eek: Seattle is turning into New York City with those Prices! :rolleyes: But as you indicated, it sounds Delicious and it's your Vacation! ! :) The Ferry Rides and the Light Rail Route are really Highlites of "killing time" in Seattle and are affordable, especially for Seniors! (It cost me 75 cents to ride from SEA-TAC to the International District Stop with my Discount Card!) The Trip over and Back to Bambridge island for Lunch is another Nice Day Trip! Glad the Weather was good, I didnt check the Scores but I'm guessing the Marginals-Flubs Game was Played to a Draw since both are so Bad! :giggle: (Only the Lastros and the Miami Minnows can come close to equaling them in Hopelessness!) Looking forward to the next Episode of your trip, I'm envious since I'm stuck here in Hotter-N-Hell Texas!

**I'd skip the Destroyer Tour myself since I served on the Tin Can USS Somers DD-947, a Sister Ship to the Turner Joy, but the Naval Museum sounds great! ;)

Looking forward to the next installment. Glad the crying tot was not on your following train. :)

Sunday June 30th

This was the day of the Marginal game. After breakfast (at Mickey D's; I can't afford $24 breakfasts very often!) I walked down to the park. It's a fair hike, a mile and a half or better from my hotel, but I'd eaten so much fried food I had to walk it all off! I got to Safeco at 9:30 AM, for a 1:10 start, but I'm the type that would rather wait at the venue I'm going to rather than at the hotel. The gates didn't open until 11:10, so I walked around the area and did some railfanning, as the BNSF tracks run right behind the stadium. Among others, I observed the Coast Starlight depart right on time, with the folks on that particular version of the CS being able to enjoy the benefits of the PPC. Once inside the park, I found my seat (upper deck, right behind home plate) and did some more walking around before grabbing lunch and settling back to enjoy the game. Turned out to be a good one, as the Marginals fell behind the Flubs 7-1 in the fourth inning, but made a nice comeback, coming to within 7-6 in the 8th with a couple of runners aboard. They couldn't quite come all the way back, though, losing by that 7-6 score. That extended my perfect record while watching the Marginals in person: 0-3, with all three losses one run scores. :rolleyes:

After the game, I walked back, enjoying the waterfront some more before heading back to my hotel.

Monday July 1st.

After checking out of my hotel and leaving my bags there for safekeeping, I again walked to Pike Place Market, then to the waterfront for one last look-see. I met my sister, brother-in-law, and niece for lunch at Elliott's on the waterfront (unlike some unnamed AU members I know, they at least didn't schedule a cross-country train trip while I was in Seattle :angry: :p :lol: Lunch was excellent, as was the weather, so I got an outdoor table for the four of us. Once again, we couldn't have asked for better weather. After a leisurely lunch, we departed. I still had some time to kill before heading to King St. Station to catch the EB home, so I retrieved my bags at the hotel, and once again rode the Link Light Rail train to the airport. This time it was for official business, as I am going to be flying home from Seattle next month following my Amtrak trip on the TE and CS from Bloomington to Seattle. I wanted to see how to find my airline's ticket counter (Alaska/Horizon) ahead of time so I wouldn't look quite so stupid when it was actually time to do so. Once at the airport, I found my way to where I wanted to go, and filed that info for future reference. I then rode the light rail back to the Chinatown/International District station, then made my way to King Street station, with about an hour and a half until the EB was to depart. King St. Station is so much nicer now with its refurbishing. I've been there several times, all of which found the station in various states of construction, and it was nice to see it completed.

Prior to lining up to begin the boarding process, I heard something that was new to my Amtrak experience: an announcement was made over the PA system that not only told passengers which gate to board out of depending on whether they were sleeper or coach passengers, but in the case of the coach passengers, it told us which car to go to depending on our final destination. Never heard an announcement over the PA about that bit of info before; it had always been mentioned by Amtrak personnel at the gates. At any rate, I didn't need the announcement as I knew passengers bound for Spokane always have the last coach on the train. As it turned out I was the first one on the train so got my choice of seats.

We departed Seattle on time. I at first had two seats to myself, but a young woman got on at Everett and sat next to me in the aisle seat. She immediately got interested in her book and Ipod, which was fine with me. I didn't want to interact anyway! :p Star was our LSA, and she did a good job, though seemed a bit harried at times. Being one of the great unwashed in coach, ;) I only had one choice for dinner times, 8:15. I'd rather have had dinner sooner, but oh well. There were a couple of ladies behind me, and one across the aisle from then, who began a non-stop dialogue from the time they boarded the train. Non-stop yapping and yammering about absolutely nothing. I'd almost have rather listened to crying babies than that. Another first: calling holders of a particular dinner time early. They called the holders of the 7:45 dinner reservations at 7:20. Never had that happen before. At 8:15, mercifully for my ears, our reservation came up. I was seated with a young man from Spokane, a recent retiree headed back home to Kalispell, and a woman who was on her way to Whitefish for job interviews, after having first flown from Washington DC to Portland. She'd certainly had a long day. And it was one of the best diner conversations I'd had. My three dinner companions all had interesting experiences to share. I mostly sat and listened, but did make a few contributions along the way too. It was one of those cases where, and veteran dining car patrons can relate, where I felt I'd gained three new friends. Oh, and secondarily, there was the meal :lol: I had the half chicken and it was good. Even better, believe it or not, were the vegetables: corn, with bits of ground meat and spices thrown in. The corn was FRESH, and tasted great! Not at all like the unappetizing mush that usually passes as Amveggies. Kevin was our waiter, and he did an outstanding job, keeping us entertained with his offbeat brand of humor. Due to the fact we were the last diner patrons of the evening, and the fact Star seemed just a bit harried and distracted, we didn't leave the diner until after 10 PM. While there, just before the Ephrata stop, an elderly gentleman, not too steady on his feet to begin with, fell down in the diner while trying to return to his seat when we hit a particularly rough spot in the tracks. He assured us he was all right, and there was no shortage of folks to assist him. He detrained at Ephrata and seemed no worse for the wear after his tumble.

Once back to my seat, thank God the three ratchet-jaws were asleep. Not for long, though, as one of the dim bulbs, trying to turn on the reading light, hit the attendant call button instead. That gave them an excuse for another non-stop round of conversation, even as those around them were trying to sleep :rolleyes: At Spokane, I couldn't get off the train fast enough to escape them. They got off in Spokane, too, and the last I heard of them, they were still yapping and yammering about absolutely nothing as I hit the door at the Spokane station at a dead run to escape them. :lol:

And thus endeth my tale. It was one of the best of my short Amtrak trips I've taken. All the better to whet my appetite for next month, when I and my uncle go from Bloomington to Los Angeles on the TE and LA to Seattle on the CS. Can't wait for Amtrak round #2!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back