Another One Bites The Dust

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

had8ley

Engineer
Well. it looks like we're see sawing the Viewliners once again. I rode, what I was told, the first northbound Crescent with the sleepers on the front end and the bag next to the mules. # 19 was the same way but it looks like they had already been flipped on Silver Service as every coach had 98-- numbering on them....it's always been amazing to me that a car can go over 2,000 miles with incorrect numbering. Not moaning; just asking~ "Whose job is it ???" :help:

I hope that Amtrak gets the consist order straight before our June trip. The sleepers immediately after the engine seems to give the smoothest ride and although you can hear the horn louder you make up for it with less wobble. I don't see the concern with leaving the baggage cars where they were. If Amtrak is that concerned about a Heritage baggage car being the weak link, shouldn't they be just as concerned with the Heritage diner that they run in the middle of the train?

I was on the Silver Star from Tampa to NYP yesterday and we were behind the baggage car

at the front of the train. I was in 9210 car that was marked 9211 - all the trip to NYP!!

Who's responsible??

As far as I can tell they have pretty much stopped setting those car numbers. I don't know the reason why. It is only on very rare occasions on the eastern trains that I have seen a car with the right number set.

I was in Staunton today and caught the 51 coming into the station. Baggage and sleepers were on the front. Here is the video:

I noticed this the other day about a week ago. I was down in the area of PHL and saw 92 come out the north end and noticed the old consist. It's a bit annoying how they change the consist. Just can't make up their mind! :eek:hboy: Meant to start this topic but have been so busy never got the time! :unsure:

I was in CHI boarding the CL where the sleepers were numbered "30xx" and the next sleeper said "29xx". You would be surprised how many kept going looking for car "30xx", because their ticket said "Car 30xx"! (Remember there are only 2 sleepers on the CL!)

I was on the EB from CHI-PDX a few years ago, even in MT it still said "0830", not "2730"!
ohmy.gif

I was in CHI boarding the CL where the sleepers were numbered "30xx" and the next sleeper said "29xx". You would be surprised how many kept going looking for car "30xx", because their ticket said "Car 30xx"! (Remember there are only 2 sleepers on the CL!)

I was on the EB from CHI-PDX a few years ago, even in MT it still said "0830", not "2730"!
ohmy.gif
My sentiments to a T. Why can some cars be up to date and some not....somebody is slacking...are you reading mangers ???? I'll only back this up with a day #58 & 59 had a close meeting time at Hammond, LA I had gotten off #59 and needed to pick up some tix. #58 came in and about an 85 year old lady was walking up and down the platform in tears. All the cars had 22-- on them including the sleepers and her tix read 5810. She almost got left if I hadn't told the A/C in the bag coach area that it looked like he might be leaving someone. :help:

Last edited by a moderator:
It helps them interchange the consist of the LSL with the southbound trains so that it can head south to thaw out.
EXACTLY! It has nothing to do with the road worthiness of the baggage cars, Amtrak indecisiveness, etc.

As evidence of this practice, when I boarded #91 on 3/7 - with the Viewliners at the rear, the schedule awaiting me in my roomette was for the LSL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think if an SCA or a TACO "forgets" or simply doesn't ensure that the car number market is correct, they should be written up about it.

It is the MOST BASIC of things to do. Not doing it, shows that you really care little about your job. I used to carry Sharpies and white cardboard (the kind you get when you have your shirts laundered, and boxed) and MORE THAN ONCE used that, and/or Duct-brand duct tape to get the car numbers correct.

Even had a PSR from Amtrak take down my "homemade" signs once, we got into a big pissing contest, but it ended when the conductor asked, "what would you rather have, a homemade sign, or a pax left on the platform?"

I usually got along well with PSR's but not on that day.......

I think that the cleaning crews are actually supposed to be setting those numbers as they work the trains; but it seems like most don't. That said, there is no logical reason that the attendant for that car isn't making the change. They're either just not paying attention or don't care to do it since its supposed to be someone else's job to do it.

I could understand an attendant not getting it done prior to leaving the departure station, as they have a fair amount of work to get done before the passengers start boarding. But it takes so little time to change those numbers that it should probably be the first thing that they do after closing an locking the doors after departing that first station. It should be done before any meet & greets with the passengers.

It's simply not a hard and time consuming thing to do!

Generally, in my experience at least, the car attendants will change the line #s of their car(s). Occasionally a mechanical person may do it to help out.

One problem with the manual ones is that many of them are broken completely or are so stripped that they don't turn the numbers. Additionally, they are supposed to be secured with wing-nuts or something similar. Sometimes a bonehead mechanic closes them and installs a machine screw or bolt. Car attendants do not carry tools. They can't open those doors.

It's a problem that irritates me as well. Whenever I see line numbers not set right I get it done, if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back