Another Quick Chicago TR (March 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two day trip from Ann Arbor and back. My daughter, who first rode Amtrak when she was a few months old, is now a premed student at Michigan, and this was during her Spring Break week. While this wasn't, admittedly, exactly a Spring Break type destination, we also didn't want that anyway, for a number of reasons. Still, she's been working very hard and I wanted to treat her to a change of scenery. Son not available to go with us so this was a girls' trip only. So off we went!

Getting There
Crowd at the Ann Arbor station was not huge, maybe because midweek (and again, not a Spring Break destination). Boarding at the ramp level was really easy. No need for stairs! One door open, and the conductor instructs everyone to either turn left for BC, or right for Coach (us). BC was not worth the extra fare and I had contemplated the bid upgrade, in the end decided against putting in a bid. We quickly settled in to 2 seats together and the train glided out of Ann Arbor. Mask compliance was still being enforced, and the announcements to that effect were very clear. Also you can easily reschedule as late as when they send the Covid screening questions, so even if someone has a cold they can report a symptom and postpone a trip. As a result, there are noticeably less sick people traveling, and with the extra layer of mask protections, I really appreciate being able to travel again with this peace of mind. We used N95s on both segments. Anyway, it was a lovely ride to Chicago, windows were clean enough to take in all the scenery, and the train continued on time the entire way. The lower Michigan landscape has interesting visual contrasts in any season, in any lighting, and I always find familiar sights and new details to enjoy. This was the midmorning train timed to arrive around 2:30 Central time. We had packed a light lunch of cheese and crackers to tide us over until dinner, and only had our masks off for a short while. As the landscape gives way to the more urban feel, and then suddenly it's the big city - arrival into CUS never, ever gets old!
Weather stayed partly cloudy/sunny, and upon arriving, we decided to walk to our hotel. It was brutally cold and windy, but the Hampton on E Wacker was not far, we were prepared for the Windy City cold with layers, wool socks, winter coats and gloves. We were still fairly well frozen and it was heavenly to step into the warm lobby.

Hampton Inn

This turned out to be a great find. Not sure I have ever stayed at a Hampton, and I had been monitoring rates at the Palmer House, which was our first choice. However the rates there were much higher for our dates, and this also reflected the prevailing trend towards higher rates in general. I'm getting the feeling of being returned to a time when I am priced out of downtown Chicago, and back to the airport area. We'll see how it goes. Rates were reasonable at this Hampton (130ish) and the reservation was also cancel-able until day or two before arrival. It's possible to save more by booking a prepaid rate, which I'm not willing to do. So i'll pay a bit higher rate for the flexibility.
Anyway, very pleased with the hotel. Older building, with a historic ambiance in the lobby, and it's directly adjacent to a Hilton Garden Inn which looks a bit newer and is more expensive. We liked the Hampton just fine and found it to be a cozy spot to return to. Also Hampton has those unique bedspreads that are designed to be washed after each guest, so there's an additional feeling of cleanliness there. The double room we had was clean and functional, not luxurious, and neither spacious nor overly confining. I'm pleased to report that everything in the room worked, and there was a coffeemaker (with coffee!), a small refrigerator, as well as the usual toiletries in the bathroom. One work desk and a chair, plus an armchair next to one of the beds. Another value add for Hampton is free breakfast, which was plentiful in a way that takes you back to pre-pandemic times. Good choices of hot and cold items. Coffee and tea assortment. There was seating available but we took ours back to the room as we aren't ready for group dining again just yet. All in all I recommend this hotel for convenience and value.

Last edited:
I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn next door a few years ago (either I got a good rate or used points — can’t remember now). I walked into the Hampton lobby just out of curiosity—I think they had an antique car on display? Is that still there?

I love that area—quick and easy walk to the river to watch all the boat traffic. The HGI had a wonderful full breakfast for Gold and Diamond members, but now they’ve replaced it with a food credit, the free Hampton breakfast sounds very tempting.

Nice to hear good things about that Hampton—I will consider it when I finally travel to Chicago again.

The antique car display is still there. Definitely old timey feel to the lobby, which is also smallish because such a narrow building. No hallways - the elevator lobby IS the hallway. My daughter remarked our room was close to the elevator and then noticed that all the rooms are close to the elevators :) Notably, with 3 elevators, you never wait long for one.
Breakfast quality is what I'd characterize as "good value for free." One day they had scrambled eggs, the next day, prefab omelettes. Pork sausages, which I don't like, and breakfast potatoes, which I do. But there's also cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, and breakfast breads. Peeled, cold packaged hard cooked eggs are also available. There was a somewhat tired looking display of oranges and bananas one day, apples and bananas the next. Cold juices from dispenser. Waffle machine was out of service. Basically we had enough eggs and potatoes that it was unnecessary to go out and purchase breakfast and lunch, and in Chicago, that can be significant. Unlimited free coffee and tea is also very much appreciated. Staff did an excellent job keeping everything clean and replenished.
One minor note, too, about this being an older building, the soundproofing isn't all that it could be. It didn't matter for our stay, other guests on our floor were quiet. If you travel solo you have a chance to score one of the corner rooms, from one side can see the river, the double rooms are in the center and there's no view to speak of since the hotel is surrounded by other high rises.

Arrival Day, continued

So after check in, we had worked out an itinerary, which was to walk north on Michigan avenue and look around. It was cold, true, however it's so much more tolerable when not pulling luggage. From the Hampton, we turned left and it's half of a short block to Michigan Avenue. We didn't stop to take pictures at the river crossing, preferring to keep moving. When we got up to the Northbridge shopping mall, we went inside to warm up, and do some window shopping. One thing is for sure... there are going to be empty storefronts for quite some time. The food court on the top level does have several good options that are still open. We didn't stop there, but we did look around Nordstrom's for a while before heading back out in the cold. Chicago is in the process of removing what's left of the holiday and winter themed decorations, paving the way for the new spring creations. Some of the trees still have strings of white lights but workers were starting to remove them too. This time we made it all the way up to Water Tower Place, going inside the first Macy's entrance. It's a continuation of the same thing you see with some familiar old businesses closing, others persevering. There were good sales at a couple of favorite shops, so we didn't leave empty handed. We took our time looking around the different levels, and it was starting to get later in the afternoon, so we wanted to head back while it was still light. After crossing the river, we stopped at the Chipotle for dinner carryout, which was right on NMA and also right around the corner from our hotel. Hot dinner and hot showers were very appreciated! Restful night in very comfortable beds.

Full Day in Chicago

Got up late-ish.. breakfast hours were until 10 so plenty of time. Before breakfast I started with coffee and my daughter visited the fitness center. She said the equipment was clean and there was only one other person there, another young woman about her age. Sanitizing wipes were available. We then went to the lobby and took our food up to the room and just hung out for a while. We both had some emails to catch up on. and the daily Wordle. Around noon, the temperatures had come up to the high 30s, and it was time to head out. This time, we turned right out of the hotel, which leads right to the river for excellent views, and we followed Wacker up to the Hyatt Regency. As you go in, there is an escalator on the left side of the lobby that leads down to the underground walkway, which we followed to the Sofitel, Fairmont and Radisson hotels (always fun to see what's there, we went outside for interesting photo ops) and eventually back to the Hyatt. We exited the lobby on the other side, on the street level (between the hotel's East and West towers) and went to the small grocery store on the corner. I forget the name of it but it's been there for years. They had a selection of prepared foods and produce, but nothing that really caught our eye for dinner plans. There is also a full service Mariano's in that neighborhood, incidentally. Basically just a very interesting area to explore, and also next to Millennium Park, which we had intended on touring but the cold drove us back inside. We did get a few sundries/drinks for the room, and headed back to the hotel to put them in the fridge. After a brief rest we went back outside again. Our goal was State Street shopping and this hotel is perfect for that too. We picked up a few bargains at Macy's and a couple other stores. There is a Magnolia's bakery where we got the famous banana puddings, in to-go containers, so we walked back to the hotel to store them and drop off our shopping bags. We didn't stay in the room for long! Next destination was the Merchandise Mart, and while it was familiar to explore and brought back so many memories, it's changing in a way that is less accessible. Some of these changes have been happening for a while and even pre-pandemic. Some is simply due to post pandemic closures. In any case, it's not the same kind of public space it once was. Also the Holiday Inn there is no longer in operation (sadly) and I do wonder what the plans are for the hotel floors. It was so convenient with the Brown Line station right there. I had a weird, lost feeling while we walked through the mall, and realized it's not just the place, our lives have changed and maybe with change being inevitable, it's best to try and find new adventures because you sure can't replace what was. At any rate, it was getting late, and we had logged almost 10 foot miles, so it was time to make dinner plans. Being that we were in Chicago, it had to be... you guessed it.. Pizza. After the whole thin crust vs deep dish debate, we agreed on the "skinny" deep dish from Labriola. It's located right off NMA near the Intercontinental and is a new favorite. The "skinny" just means it has less bread than the traditional deep dish, and the edges are kind of charred (on purpose) but let me tell you it is heavenly. We called ahead to order and then walked over to pick up. Walking briskly, the pizza stayed warm until we got it up to our room. We settled in for a nice dinner of pizza, baby carrots (from store) and banana pudding for dessert. Daughter liked the pudding which if you like bananas, you will too. We stored the rest of the pizza in the fridge for the trip home. A very successful day, having explored several different neighborhoods.

Last edited:
Great report! Thanks for sharing. You reminded me how when I used to be a Hilton [insert descriptive term here] I used to stay at Hamptons all the time. Now that I'm a Marriott [insert descriptive term here] I find that the M equivalent (Fairfield) usually pales in comparison to Hamptons. This one sounds like a winner.

Looking forward to your return trip.

Arrival Day, continued

So after check in, we had worked out an itinerary, which was to walk north on Michigan avenue and look around. It was cold, true, however it's so much more tolerable when not pulling luggage. From the Hampton, we turned left and it's half of a short block to Michigan Avenue. We didn't stop to take pictures at the river crossing, preferring to keep moving. When we got up to the Northbridge shopping mall, we went inside to warm up, and do some window shopping. One thing is for sure... there are going to be empty storefronts for quite some time. The food court on the top level does have several good options that are still open. We didn't stop there, but we did look around Nordstrom's for a while before heading back out in the cold. Chicago is in the process of removing what's left of the holiday and winter themed decorations, paving the way for the new spring creations. Some of the trees still have strings of white lights but workers were starting to remove them too. This time we made it all the way up to Water Tower Place, going inside the first Macy's entrance. It's a continuation of the same thing you see with some familiar old businesses closing, others persevering. There were good sales at a couple of favorite shops, so we didn't leave empty handed. We took our time looking around the different levels, and it was starting to get later in the afternoon, so we wanted to head back while it was still light. After crossing the river, we stopped at the Chipotle for dinner carryout, which was right on NMA and also right around the corner from our hotel. Hot dinner and hot showers were very appreciated! Restful night in very comfortable beds.

Full Day in Chicago

Got up late-ish.. breakfast hours were until 10 so plenty of time. Before breakfast I started with coffee and my daughter visited the fitness center. She said the equipment was clean and there was only one other person there, another young woman about her age. Sanitizing wipes were available. We then went to the lobby and took our food up to the room and just hung out for a while. We both had some emails to catch up on. and the daily Wordle. Around noon, the temperatures had come up to the high 30s, and it was time to head out. This time, we turned right out of the hotel, which leads right to the river for excellent views, and we followed Wacker up to the Hyatt Regency. As you go in, there is an escalator on the left side of the lobby that leads down to the underground walkway, which we followed to the Sofitel, Fairmont and Radisson hotels (always fun to see what's there, we went outside for interesting photo ops) and eventually back to the Hyatt. We exited the lobby on the other side, on the street level (between the hotel's East and West towers) and went to the small grocery store on the corner. I forget the name of it but it's been there for years. They had a selection of prepared foods and produce, but nothing that really caught our eye for dinner plans. There is also a full service Mariano's in that neighborhood. incidentally. Basically just a very interesting area to explore, and also next to Millennium Park, which we had intended on touring but the cold drove us back inside. We did get a few sundries/drinks for the room, and headed back to the hotel to put them in the fridge. After a brief rest we went back outside again. Our goal was State Street shopping and this hotel is perfect for that too. We picked up a few bargains at Macy's and a couple other stores. There is a Magnolia's bakery where we got the famous banana puddings, in to-go containers, so we walked back to the hotel to store them and drop off our shopping bags. We didn't stay in the room for long! Next destination was the Merchandise Mart, and while it was familiar to explore and brought back so many memories, it's changing in a way that is less accessible. Some of these changes have been happening for a while and even pre-pandemic. Some is simply due to post pandemic closures. In any case, it's not the same kind of public space it once was. Also the Holiday Inn there is no longer in operation (sadly) and I do wonder what the plans are for the hotel floors. It was so convenient with the Brown Line station right there. I had a weird, lost feeling while we walked through the mall, and realized it's not just the place, our lives have changed and maybe with change being inevitable, it's best to try and find new adventures because you sure can't replace what was. At any rate, it was getting late, and we had logged almost 10 foot miles., so it was time to make dinner plans. Being that we were in Chicago, it had to be... you guessed it.. Pizza. After the whole thin crust vs deep dish debate, we agreed on the "skinny" deep dish from Labriola. It's located right off NMA near the Intercontinental and is a new favorite. The "skinny" just means it has less bread than the traditional deep dish, and the edges are kind of charred (on purpose) but let me tell you it is heavenly. We called ahead to order and then walked over to pick up. Walking briskly, the pizza stayed warm until we got it up to our room. We settled in for a nice dinner of pizza, baby carrots (from store) and banana pudding for dessert. Daughter liked the pudding which if you like bananas, you will too. We stored the rest of the pizza in the fridge for the trip home. A very successful day, having explored several different neighborhoods.
Cue Dean Martin crooning " Memories are Made of This"!😎

Breakfast quality is what I'd characterize as "good value for free."

In a hotel of this type, be it of whatever hotel consortium, this is what I expect for what I am paying.

I have had only one experience with a Hampton Inn and it was positive.

I find that the M equivalent (Fairfield) usually pales in comparison to Hamptons.

My January, 2019 pre-Covid experiences did not reflect your experience. All of the expected breakfast amenities were available at the Fairmont, West Virginia Fairfield Inn.

Departure Day

While many people have described "pizza dreams" as something that interferes with a good night's sleep, in our family we have found that a pizza dinner results in solid, uninterrupted sleep until that alarm goes off. In this case we set our phone alarms for 8 am. Daughter went to the fitness center, I made a cup of coffee and waited for her. With our Amtrak departure at 1:25, we had plenty of time. So we enjoyed breakfast in the room and watched TV for a while before starting to pack up. Due to our purchases, the suitcases were heavier, and we somehow had an extra bag to carry. :) That's what happens on a girls trip without my son who would have vetoed some of the shopping. Still, we made it all work, and were able to check out without feeling rushed, at about 10:30 am.
Chicago was warmer on this day, ahead of an impending weather front, so part of the extra packing was the additional clothing layers not needed for the walk to the station. We meandered our way through the Loop neighborhood, following the river for a while then turning into town. We always try to walk back on different blocks to the station, so we can take in some different scenery than what we experienced on arrival. The walk to the station took about an hour, could have been quicker but we weren't in any particular hurry.
As an extra enhancement to this trip, and because the upcharge was reasonable at time of booking, I bought BC seats for the return. Daughter was thrilled because she wanted to arrive early, stow the bags, and explore the West Loop area before leaving Chicago. The Metropolitan Lounge had plenty of storage space, of course it was early in the day... and it was relatively uncrowded. The water dispensers are gone, they had instead, a tray of bottled waters and soft drinks, so we got a couple of water bottles. There was a plentiful assortment of different packaged snacks, such as chips, pretzels, muffins, Kind bars, and fruit leather bars. Coffee and tea were available. There was also a staffed stand for adult beverages, for purchase. Lots of open seating. We didn't stay inside for long, as we wanted to get back outside and explore without luggage; also had to walk off those hotel breakfasts, in particular I have to avoid that type of sodium-fest in the future. So we did exactly that, and wandered down to the Metra/French market area to look around. It was blissful to walk down Canal street without freezing! And I love the Metra station atmosphere, and the French market shops, while there are the inevitable closed storefronts, there is also a sense of timelessness and promise. Anyone who has ever heard that recorded voice saying the different track numbers you know what I mean. We looked around for a while and then made our way back to the station about an hour before departure. This gave us time to charge up and use the facilities before boarding. Speaking of which, the process was orderly and understandable. The front desk staff issues welcome announcements, describing what is available, and the mask requirement for the lounge. They also asked that people not congregate in the vestibule awaiting departure. A boarding announcement is made for each train, and when they announced 352 Wolverine, we followed the attendant's instructions and walked over to Track 16. A TSA agent was there and asked us what train we were looking for, so I had a momentary vision of what could go wrong if we were turned away, but he simply gestured toward the track door and said they were boarding BC and I confirmed that's what we had. They had already boarded the other BC passengers but had not yet started the coach boarding. We walked down to the very front car and took our seats.
The return journey was pleasant in the sense that train travel is pleasant... but oh my god the delays. Freight train interference leaving the Chicago area, then a vehicle on the tracks near Jackson, MI. I know the Amtrak dispatchers did all they could, still a 2.5 hour delay on a trip that's supposed to take 4 hours and 40 minutes is a problem... that has to be addressed in the future. Upon arrival into Ann Arbor that late, we had to change all arrangements including transportation and dinner/shopping plans, so it was a bit of a hassle. Still, it was a great trip and it was even greater to fall asleep at 2 am knowing I did everything possible for my daughter to enjoy some time off during her spring break.

Here is some history about your hotel. The Chicago Art Deco Society helped ensure the historic road map (which was discovered during renovations) was fully restored and displayed in the lobby.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2015/5/22/9957748/take-a-look-inside-the-new-hampton-inn
I've stayed at that hotel and enjoyed it. I do love Hampton's duvets. They're heavy enough to be comfortable without being too warm.

Sarah, thanks for that! I do enjoy the additional historical context.

Here is some history about your hotel. The Chicago Art Deco Society helped ensure the historic road map (which was discovered during renovations) was fully restored and displayed in the lobby.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2015/5/22/9957748/take-a-look-inside-the-new-hampton-inn
I've stayed at that hotel and enjoyed it. I do love Hampton's duvets. They're heavy enough to be comfortable without being too warm.
You weren't at the big party CADS had at the Motor Club were you?

(if I were snarky I would say only Tim and I can plug CADS, hee hee, but thanks!)

Thank you—this is very insightful and inspiring. Especially for those of us who wish we could recapture good experiences of the past, this is a new and sensible way to look at things.

One thing I've learned the hard way is that you can always go back to a place, but you meant to go back to a time and a place - and you can't do that.

Great trip report! I just started on a big trip and you've inspired me to actually try to write it up.

My apologies, I didn't realize that posting the YouTube URL would result in uploading the video itself. I thought it would just be the hyperlink. Moderator, please take it down if I have violated any rules. Thanks.

My apologies, I didn't realize that posting the YouTube URL would result in uploading the video itself. I thought it would just be the hyperlink. Moderator, please take it down if I have violated any rules. Thanks.
No worries, the video wasn't uploaded. YouTube hyperlinks turn into "embedded" videos here. That means the video plays on YouTube inside of the forum here. It's a common way to share video.

"Sure he was great, but don't forget that Ginger Rogers did everything he did, backwards… and in high heels."
Yes, that WAS funny. I remember seeing Ann Richards deliver that line in a national TV speech to emphasize her bona fides as a woman running for something - maybe it was governor of Texas or at a presidential convention.

Back