Anticipated Delay on 4(13)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chertling

Lead Service Attendant
I was just checking Amtrak.com for the status of the SWC - 4(13), which I will be boarding Tuesday morning in Kansas City. It seems that 23 hours out, Amtrak is predicting that the train will lose three hours between Newton and Topeka. The site predicts that the train will leave Newton 21 minutes late, but depart Topeka 3 Hours and 12 Minutes late. Does anyone have any insight into what may be occurring in that 135 Mile stretch of track that would cause such a delay? It just seems odd that such a significant delay is being predicted within a precise stretch of track almost a full day ahead of time.

3(13) and 4(12) are detouring between Newton and Emporia, KS due to flooding on the mainline between those cities. The routing is through Mulvane and Wichita, KS.
Rafi
I guess the same will probably be true for 4(13) then, given Amtrak's estimated arrival time in KC. The unfortunate thing is that it may be tight connecting to the Cap. Ltd. in Chicago. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have to take a bus!!!!

This may be a nail-biter... 4(13) is now officially under a "Service Disruption"... I just spoke with an agent and she indicated the train was going to be three and a half hours late into Topeka. While she stressed something we all know, that Amtrak often makes up some time en-route, she did say that arrival in Chicago could be at 6:40PM, if no time is made up. As coincidence would have it, the Capitol Limited departs FROM Chicago at 6:40 PM. Something tells me I won't be sleeping well tonight.

EDIT: Fixed Typo

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it looks like things aren't going to be as bad as I feared. For a time overnight, Amtrak had 4(13) listed as a "Service Disruption." The train is no longer experiencing a "Service Disruption" and is now scheduled to get into KC an hour and 44 minutes late. I've started a thread in the Trip Reports section in which I will be adding a "Real Time" trip report over the course of the trip.

Well, it looks like things aren't going to be as bad as I feared. For a time overnight, Amtrak had 4(13) listed as a "Service Disruption." The train is no longer experiencing a "Service Disruption" and is now scheduled to get into KC an hour and 44 minutes late. I've started a thread in the Trip Reports section in which I will be adding a "Real Time" trip report over the course of the trip.
Looks like you'll be okay. BNSF has reopened the track (flood waters receded apparently) and you should be headed on the normal route.

Rafi

Looks like number 4(13) is now running 11 hours late now. Lost all the time between TOP and NEW because of the reroute. Any reason why it sat in Wichita for so long?

I think that may have been 4(12) or 3(14) Saxman. I am onboard 4(13) at the moment and we are only about 2 hours down, between La Plata and Fort Madison. Luckilly, my train escaped the issues that the previous day's SWC had.

I believe 4(12) was stuck in Wichita overnight due to a dead crew resulting from the flood related delay.

Any ideas why they would have pulled the train to Wichita and then stopped? Wichita is a good 30 miles off the "mainline"; I would have thought if they went to Wichita they would have continued on the Transcon from Mulvane east. Or did they just stop in Wichita to get a fresh crew?

I think that may have been 4(12) or 3(14) Saxman. I am onboard 4(13) at the moment and we are only about 2 hours down, between La Plata and Fort Madison. Luckilly, my train escaped the issues that the previous day's SWC had.
I believe 4(12) was stuck in Wichita overnight due to a dead crew resulting from the flood related delay.
Woops, I meant number 3(13) was 10 hours late. Looks like it'll arrive into LAX about 11 hours behind.

On Monday (6/14) I did a day trip ride out to Galesburg... went out on #381 and was supposed to come back in on #4. When I went to bed Sunday night, 4 was on-time.... when I got up they were calling it 4 hours late into Galesburg!! The California Zephyr (#6) was on-time and they just let us board that with a ticket for #4. I think 4 ended up getting into Chicago between 5 and 6 hours late due to the flooding. Glad they let us on #6 to get to Chicago sooner!!!

Woops, I meant number 3(13) was 10 hours late. Looks like it'll arrive into LAX about 11 hours behind.
What are the numbers in parenthesis for example 3 (13) is the number 13 the date?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back