Any idea when new Superliner Cars will go live on the SWC?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Viewliner cars only serve the trains east of Chicago except for the Capitol Limited, which I assume you are taking from WAS to CHI and taking the SWC from there. Both of those trains use bi-level Superliners, for which replacements have not yet been ordered. The coach seats in the Superliners may be new by the time you ride, but no guarantee as it was just announced today.

Superliners are going in for an overhaul. I believe coach cars are first, then sleepers. Coaches will look very similar to Amfleet interiors.

The first are supposed to be put into service by the end of the month, no idea when sleepers are being rolled out.

Superliners are going in for an overhaul. I believe coach cars are first, then sleepers. Coaches will look very similar to Amfleet interiors.

The first are supposed to be put into service by the end of the month, no idea when sleepers are being rolled out.
Overhaul is an over statement. Refresh is the official term, like was done on Amfleets a year back now. They are getting new cushions, lighting carpeting etc, the superficial spiffying up stuff, which they should have gotten a couple of times already. The Sleepers will also finally get the new bedding that has been touted for over a year now. The refresh is more superficial than the refurbishment that the Superliner Is got during the Empire Builder upgrade many years ago when they got the faux wood paneling in the Sleepers. But it is most welcome given how tattered those cars have started looking internally.

Overhaul is an over statement. Refresh is the official term, like was done on Amfleets a year back now. They are getting new cushions, lighting carpeting etc, the superficial spiffying up stuff, which they should have gotten a couple of times already. The Sleepers will also finally get the new bedding that has been touted for over a year now. The refresh is more superficial than the refurbishment that the Superliner Is got during the Empire Builder upgrade many years ago when they got the faux wood paneling in the Sleepers. But it is most welcome given how tattered those cars have started looking internally.
The super liner I refresh is quite nice.
More or less makes the car feel new (though definitely not ride like new).

I recognize that the SSL image is only showing half the car, but I hope this isn't the demise of the swivel seats. Has anyone seen a photo showing the other half?

Edit: The official Amtrak press release answers my own question!

Lounge.jpg

Amtrak Makes Major Customer Experience Investments in Comfort and Modernization on National Network Routes - Amtrak Media

Last edited:
I recognize that the SSL image is only showing half the car, but I hope this isn't the demise of the swivel seats. Has anyone seen a photo showing the other half?

Edit: The official Amtrak press release answers my own question!

Lounge.jpg

Amtrak Makes Major Customer Experience Investments in Comfort and Modernization on National Network Routes - Amtrak Media
I seem to recall that on my 2019 CZ trip, the seats didn't swivel. They were fixed, mostly in groups of 2 or 3 angled towards one another. But I could be mistaken.

The SSL car looks great - glad to see these getting a propert update.

I’m disappointed with the vinyl / leather seats in the sleepers. That’s what VIA has in their roomette and I didn’t think it was nearly as comfortable. I think the Viewliner II sleeper design would have been the way to go here.

Wow, these look great! Can’t wait for my upcoming Empire Builder trip in February. So great to have dining back too.
I know we have a habit and real talent for seeing what Amtrak does wrong, but...

...they just did us all a real solid with this. These cars look great. LD trains are back!

Please realize that with 300 Superliners, it will probably take a year or more to finish the refresh. In the meantime you will have individual cars showing up with no rhyme or reason....so don't count on one and be pleasantly (I hope) surprised if you find one on your train...

I can't tell from the pictures. Are the bedroom seats leather except for the head rest? I would have to set on a towel instead of that for comfort if it is.

Please realize that with 300 Superliners, it will probably take a year or more to finish the refresh. In the meantime you will have individual cars showing up with no rhyme or reason....so don't count on one and be pleasantly (I hope) surprised if you find one on your train...

It may look a little like Viewliner II deployment. Slow, and confusing, with only 2 routes serviced.

We need SL car counts on the Cardinal both ways . That way we can tell if they are into Beech or out. Also might be a few to WASH to provide for Auto Train ?

I think the SSL looks great, and I can't wait for traditional dining to return.

I'm conflicted about the seats; they don't look as comfortable to me but I've seen others say they are better. And then others saying they are worse.

I don't like the way the sleepers look. There is still old carpet in the roomettes, they kept the terrible old tables, and now they look off with half of it being new and the rest of it looking old (I know I'm being picky).

Can't wait for the new bedding though, it will be a good upgrade.

We need SL car counts on the Cardinal both ways . That way we can tell if they are into Beech or out. Also might be a few to WASH to provide for Auto Train ?
But this refresh does not necessarily require them to go to the Beech Grove facility if it is being done similar to the Amfleet refresh. They should be able to do this sort of thing in LAX or Oakland or Chicago too, just as the Amfleets could be refreshed in Southampton St., Sunnyside, Ivy City or even Hialeah or Chicago. They did not all cycle through Wilmington or Bear. Of course many did, but not all. There is not much you can do with less than $100K per car. Just replace cushions, replace, carpets and curtains and perhaps change out light fixtures.

Incidentally Viewliner Is are slated to get similar refresh too. Don't know the exact timeline

Last edited:
I wonder if they will partner with People for Urban Progress in Indianapolis to upcycle the fabric like they did with the Acela refresh, though those were leather. They didn't do the same for the Amfleet refresh.
Incidentally Viewliner Is are slated to get similar refresh too. Don't know the exact timeline
From the Amtrak press release above:
“Viewliner I” Sleeping Cars operating to and from the east and southeast will be similarly improved.

I think it would be better to do an entire consist, at a time....otherwise it would look strange to see newly refurbished mixed with tired and worn equipment....

I think it would be better to do an entire consist, at a time....otherwise it would look strange to see newly refurbished mixed with tired and worn equipment....
That would last a week maybe? until the first car is shopped and replaced with non matching interior and when that car is repaired it goes in another (non refurbished) consist and that is the end of the matched consist.

Back