Any Prototype Viewliner Questions?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
I'm so :) , today, because I recieved my copy of Passenger Train Journal March 1988 (yes 1988) "The Viewliner". Any questions? I'd be happy to answer them. Just an interesting fact, did you know that they (2300 and 2301) were designed with 1 accessible bedroom, 2 deluxe rooms, and 14 (yes 14, no Attendant's compartment, no shower) Standard Rooms.

Yes, it has(or had) 48 Seats, jump seats in kitchenside aisle (which were removed) it seems similar, in fact there is 1 interior picture of it under construction. Any other questions.

No, literally on the aisle, along the wall. There were six seats. The TMI has 40 booth seats with two for patrons waiting for seating.

On 62091,the room opposite of the shower is the attendant's room. The reason they designated that room is that the end door's motor assy is mounted on the floor and there is a big box cover on the floor. This box also eliminates the opposing seat.

It looks like it would be real uncomfortable, not being able to extend your legs out. That also explains the upper bunk. Does the picture show that the bunks in the big rooms use bungee cords to assist putting it up???

Also, the end door is a single door, not double.

B)

Nothing that I'm aware of, they must have changed the door design. Any chance of you getting interior pictures? Also, whats the latest with 2300?

Haven't received any info on 2300. Can't find anyone to verify that the car is there.

Ok, stupid question! Any way to convert VHS-8 to digital? I could get pictures that way. I am in the process of getting film for the camera and I will have a disk made at the Kodak store.

B)

I can't help you with that, I just got a new mini DV camcorder with a digital camera. I plan to use it at the NJT Try Transit festival with the New ALP-46 Locomotives. So you're saying you'll be able to get 62091 (interior) pictures also could I make a request (if you are)?

Ever notice on the plate although it says "Eastern View" you can see where it said "2301 Sleeper"?

A caution of warning. I've noticed that the digitl photos on camcorders are not as high of a quality as a true photograph on film. I usually use the camcorder for video and use a regular snap shot camera and scan in my pictures after or I can get the put onto a disk at Brooks or CVS (that eliminates the gruling task of scanning). However, I only have a Digital-8, I don't know if the digital photos on the DV camcorders are better. :)

Thanks for the info!!!

I think the best thing to do is use a regular camera and have it transfered to disk.

I'll have the camera next week and try to catch 62091 on the turnaround.

No, I never noticed the plate. Is the writing behind the plate or was it painted over?

Every now and then, I notice a diner that has some faint writing on the plate. Even though the plate was stripped, the original name is still visable. I think it says Sunset Limited, back from the Santa Fe days. I'll look for it!

Does the mag say who manufactured the A/C and the trucks? That's something I'd really like to know!!!

Send in your pic requests for next week!!

B)

The plate if you can get the detail, It wasn't painted over rather it was revmoved, but shiny where it said 2301 Sleeper. Also the (Single Vestibule)Doors entering and exiting the car, a deluxe room, standard room, attendants room, and see if you can fit the whole car in a picture.

Thanks, I'll check if it mentions who manufactured the AC and trucks. I know some parts are international.

I'll see about the camera, but my parents probably wouldn't want me to have both at the same time, although I'd like to. Besides my camera may be in use for creative photo at school in March.

Joe, One last request, let us know when it turns around for NYP. Can you email me the pictures when you get them to a computer? If you can can I have permission to put it on my website?

Thanks. I only started using the photo disc at Costco (I don't trust Walgreens), all my amtrak pics are scanned.

Its ok, but I haven't really used it much, because it didn't have any Amtrak pictures. :lol:

No requests Amfleet?

Wait I'm confused, I thought the photo disk thing worked so you could put your pictures onto disk and then download them at home. Am I missing something. Sorry to be ruining you post Viewliner. I have a request though. Does it say anything on why that design was use (1 accessable, 2 deluxe, 14 standard), why it wasn't built with 1 accessable, 3 deluxe rooms and 12 standards? :)

They were used from "international suppliers". They tested out 3 different A/C systems. Anyone interested in the routes they ran/supposed to run on? Also at first they were sold as roomettes and bedrooms, before being entered into arrow. Imagine paying for a roomette or a bedroom expecting a Heritage Sleeper and getting a prototype Viewliner.

Origianally they wanted to order 100 sleepers and 36 diners which could've been expanded to include Baggage-Dorms, Diners, Lounges and Coaches.

No it just said it could be expanded to a 600 car order.

2300 Completed Oct 5, 1987 official debut Oct 7-10 at American Society of Travel Agents convention. First trip with overnight passengers on October 29 on the Capitol Limited from Washington to Chicago.

2301 and 8400 Completed February 1988(?)

2300 and 2301 Ran/Supposed to run on Auto Train in early 1988 (because of its captive consist) during their 18-24 Month test period. After Several Months on the Auto Train supposed to be shifted to the Cardinal and testing on other routes including the Night Owl. 8400 Substituted for Heritage Diners. Test program supposed to end in late 1989. Any other Questions? :)

Any info and photos I get, you can use.

I think it's great that we're finally getting to some answers on these unique cars.

When I come in tomorrow, I'll track 62091 down on ARROW, and when I come in Weds., I'll have the camera!!!

B)

Great, just e-mail the pictures when you get the chance to get the pictures online. Also let me know how to credit you in the e-mail thanks :)

Next I'd like to order Trains Magazine January 1988 which also has the Viewliner in it. Any other questions guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back