Any Prototype Viewliner Questions?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It mentions the redundancy of the final decisions of component suppliers adding cost to the program. It also mentions a $515K design, $11.7 construction budget in 1983, and a $2 Million supplimentary allowence in 1985. ($2 Million happens to be the approx cost of each production Viewliner). If that doesn't answer your question then you have to keep in mind 2301 and 8400 were only nearing completion at the time the article was written.

Any mention of who built the A/C units. I've heard it was designed and built in Brazil. This might explain the expensive circuit boards.

B)

Joe, my guess is you're right because the most spacific they get is that they used parts from "International Suppliers". Also they used 3 different AC's.

I'm trying to remember the two cars.

I thought 2301 and 8400 had the same units, but the more I question myself, I don't recall 8400 having the 2 visible fans on the outside. 2301 has visible fans.

Can you verify thru photos?

Because of you guys, I'm starting to dream about these cars!!

Viewliner said:
Miami Joe said:
Can you verify thru photos?
What do you mean?
I think he means that in your photos (or any photos) of the proto sleeper can you see visible fans on the out side.

The first Amtrak car I ever rode in was back in 1994 to New York aboard and Amfleet and I'm also pround to have my user name. :D

My pictures or passenger train journal's photos probably don't show the AC's. Do you know the number of your first? Mine was 62036 "Skyline View". I actually keep track of the Viewliners I've seen, ridden in, or have been on my train.

If you can see the A/C units, there are 2 fans, 1 on the left side and 1 on the right. I'm curious why they say 3 units, because I thought 2301 and 8400 had identical units.

B)

Maybe the 2301 (62091) and 8400 units are similar appearancewise, but different mechanically, or one car had its units changed to match the other. Or 2300 had 2 different units, after all its been a while since anybody has seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back