Anyone have recent experience traveling with pets?

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

C

Careful Traveler

"19 inches by 14 inches by 10.5 inches" That is the maximum size allowed by Amtrak for your dog. Please read all the rules!

E

Elizabeth

I currently am riding in an amtrak train with my 3lb kitten. The carrier I ordered arrived a day late so I had to use an old one or miss my train. The old carrier is too big!!!! I got on the train and wafted panicking thinking that they were gonna kick me off. This train is a one way stop to my destination and it's late at night and I woukd be suck to be stranded broke and alone in an unfamiliar city to you. I checked my pet at the ticketing center which simply involved handing in the pet release contract and showing ID, no weighing or anything like that. When I got onto the train and realized my dilemma I held my breath as the conductor came. He scanned my ticket the guy next to me's ticket looked briefly at the crate in front of me and moved on... so idk about strictness but they didn't kick me off for not being able to fit my crate under my seat

H

Heather

What happened? I have a 22.5lb pug & a 23.5lb pug and I want to bring them on a train (think it's 1 dog per human but I'd get a buddy)

Triley

Conductor
What happened? I have a 22.5lb pug & a 23.5lb pug and I want to bring them on a train (think it's 1 dog per human but I'd get a buddy)
Even if she was able to make it work, doesn't mean that it would work for you. People have been attempting to break the rules a lot lately (for the love of everyone...don't bring your animal in the food service car, and take it out of its carrier!), so everyone seems to be trying to tighten up on following the policies.

PVD

Conductor
AU Supporter
There actually are not that many. Pets are restricted by numbers. Max 5, no sleepers or BC. Service dogs are not pets and are not subject to the pet restrictions. Unlike airlines which are subject to the "air carrier access act" Amtrak is not required to deal with emotional support animals, just service animals.

J

Jasmine

I was wondering do you have to buy your dog a ticket ? and my train ride is 10 hours but my dog is potty trained and will likely sleep the whole time but will they allow me to ride for 10 hours straight ? or will they tell me to get off ?

AmtrakBlue

Conductor
Gathering Team Member
I was wondering do you have to buy your dog a ticket ? and my train ride is 10 hours but my dog is potty trained and will likely sleep the whole time but will they allow me to ride for 10 hours straight ? or will they tell me to get off ?
Pets are only allowed on trips of 7 hours or less. You must buy a “ticket” for them and they must be in a carrier.

C

Christie B

Do you think I can take my Macaw on an Amtrack train? I am.not sure he can be squezed into a small carrier?