Anyone have recent experience traveling with pets?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"19 inches by 14 inches by 10.5 inches" That is the maximum size allowed by Amtrak for your dog. Please read all the rules!

I currently am riding in an amtrak train with my 3lb kitten. The carrier I ordered arrived a day late so I had to use an old one or miss my train. The old carrier is too big!!!! I got on the train and wafted panicking thinking that they were gonna kick me off. This train is a one way stop to my destination and it's late at night and I woukd be suck to be stranded broke and alone in an unfamiliar city to you. I checked my pet at the ticketing center which simply involved handing in the pet release contract and showing ID, no weighing or anything like that. When I got onto the train and realized my dilemma I held my breath as the conductor came. He scanned my ticket the guy next to me's ticket looked briefly at the crate in front of me and moved on... so idk about strictness but they didn't kick me off for not being able to fit my crate under my seat

What happened? I have a 22.5lb pug & a 23.5lb pug and I want to bring them on a train (think it's 1 dog per human but I'd get a buddy)

What happened? I have a 22.5lb pug & a 23.5lb pug and I want to bring them on a train (think it's 1 dog per human but I'd get a buddy)
Even if she was able to make it work, doesn't mean that it would work for you. People have been attempting to break the rules a lot lately (for the love of everyone...don't bring your animal in the food service car, and take it out of its carrier!), so everyone seems to be trying to tighten up on following the policies.

There actually are not that many. Pets are restricted by numbers. Max 5, no sleepers or BC. Service dogs are not pets and are not subject to the pet restrictions. Unlike airlines which are subject to the "air carrier access act" Amtrak is not required to deal with emotional support animals, just service animals.

Leakproof is a listed criteria as well as size for exactly that reason.
Additionally, they make crate liners that are super-absorbent and mask odor, just in case of an accident.

I was wondering do you have to buy your dog a ticket ? and my train ride is 10 hours but my dog is potty trained and will likely sleep the whole time but will they allow me to ride for 10 hours straight ? or will they tell me to get off ?

I was wondering do you have to buy your dog a ticket ? and my train ride is 10 hours but my dog is potty trained and will likely sleep the whole time but will they allow me to ride for 10 hours straight ? or will they tell me to get off ?
Pets are only allowed on trips of 7 hours or less. You must buy a “ticket” for them and they must be in a carrier.

https://www.amtrak.com/pets

Do you think I can take my Macaw on an Amtrack train? I am.not sure he can be squezed into a small carrier?

does anyone know if you can add a pet to a travel ticket after youve already purchased it?

online isnt helpful and 800 rail gave me a broad answer of check in at the station.

2 legged journey with 5 hr wait in chicago.

long story hopefully short my college aged son is out of state for a funeral and Will reading, he was willed a small dog, due to his course of study- undergraduate vet tech, a gift he wasnt expecting nor planning but que sera sera.

he is expecting to incur expenses and fees as well as supplies for the travel, he just needs to know if he can show up at the station with the pet and pay the fees or if he needs to change everything completely.

does anyone know if you can add a pet to a travel ticket after youve already purchased it?

online isnt helpful and 800 rail gave me a broad answer of check in at the station.

2 legged journey with 5 hr wait in chicago.

long story hopefully short my college aged son is out of state for a funeral and Will reading, he was willed a small dog, due to his course of study- undergraduate vet tech, a gift he wasnt expecting nor planning but que sera sera.

he is expecting to incur expenses and fees as well as supplies for the travel, he just needs to know if he can show up at the station with the pet and pay the fees or if he needs to change everything completely.
Amtrak allows Service Animals aboard all Trains , and pets on certain routes with the provision that they are in an approved Carrier that can be put under your seat , and that, IIRC, involve no change of trains or layovers.

I don't know the current official policy since things are in such a Flux with IT and the Call Centers right now , but if you call the 800-USA-RAIL # and ask for "Customer Relations", once you get a Customer Service Rep( or AGR if you're a Member)they should be able to give you the Current,Official Policy.

I would think that the Chicago layover would be a Deal Breaker, but please call.

It appears that the pet policy posted a year ago is still in effect:
https://www.amtrak.com/pets
However, the policy was expanded according to a 3/3/21 release, which states in part
Customers can travel with their small cats and dogs for only $26 or 800 Amtrak Guest Rewards points
WASHINGTON – Amtrak announced today the expansion of its pet program allowing customers to travel with their dogs and cats up to 20 pounds onboard weekday Acela trains for only $26 or 800 Amtrak Guest Rewards points. Previously available for only weekend trips, there will be eight pet spaces for sale per departure (one per customer) and are booked on a first-come, first-served basis.

“We are delighted to expand our pet program to weekday Acela trains,” said Amtrak Vice President, Northeast Corridor Service Line Caroline Decker. “Our customers will now have more options for traveling with their pets on the Northeast Corridor.”

Pets will be allowed in all cars, except for First Class or Café cars. Pets must remain in a carrier at all times and carriers should remain under their seat. Amtrak continues to welcome service animals on board at no charge. To confirm pet eligibility, all customers must read and sign a Pet Release and Indemnification Agreement for each travel segment.

please know ymmv

hello. an update to my inquiry. we did contact 800 rail number i did speak with cs. the cs rep did explain the policy a bit clearer. due to limited space for pets on board they HIGHLY encourage you to purchase your pet ticket in advance ( read: if it is popular in your area purchase when you purchase your ticket) if you have no ticketing agent or an un manned station, the process to check in your pet will take longer if you do not pre purchase. carry on pets are limited to 8 per TRAIN. not 8 per car. you cannot leave your pet alone, even for dining car or bathroom use. in this case as traveling alone, he planned ahead and stopped at the store to pack a sack lunch. and will take her to the bathroom with him. your train ride cannot exceed 7 hours PER SEGMENT. a pet is allowed only in coach class. and not on a commuter train. If your train has a 20 min or longer stop along the way they HIGHLY RECOMMEND preparing for that stop to de train and letting your pet use the bathroom. you MUST have enough time to de train find a spot and re board, they do not give notice that the train is leaving the stop. the rep suggested we look carefully at the scheduled stops when planing our trip. they are strict with the kennel size and requirements. the kennel counts as 1 of your 2 CARRYON'S. not personal items. your pet must remain in the kennel on the train and in all stations/property. the fee is for EACH LEG of the journey. in this case he had 2 fees. in the future, round trip he will 4 fees ( highly unlikely as he will board at home). the rep kindly asked ( read : demanded) the pet be bathed before travel. A SERVICE ANIMAL does not count as pet and is not counted in the 8 pet per train rule. a SERVICE ANIMAL is not an emotional support animal.

so far -
pre planning- dog size is 8 or 9 pounds. kennel purchased was a hard shell "small" sized plastic travel carrier. he purchased puppy pads and a cheap bath towel. he placed all plus her monkey and her in kennel. ( he fit remaining supplies pet bowl treats some food in his personal backpack). he has a leash at the ready. his current luggage situation: is 1 backpack, 1 kennel ,1 large duffel.
at the departing station- he was lucky and this was an agent manned station- he arrived a full hour before boarding, he waited in line at the ticket/checked baggage, the agent had him fill out the pet wavier, they did not weigh the carrier or dog, they did not inspect the dog. they didnt ask for any proofs. the agent reminded him to take the dog out before the 30 min to board time frame had passed. so that he was ready to board. he was allowed to pay both fees at the same time. he was given a receipt/ticket.
on the train- at boarding time he boarded fine. not preferred boarding, and not last. kennel was left in the foot space of his own seat not under a seat. at ticket check time, he produced his ticket and the pet receipt, the conductor looked his space over, made a note (unreadable; possibly a signature) on the pet receipt and handed it back. the conductor also said that there was an extended stop an hour and half into the trip for 15 mins. at the stop he carried the entire carrier and leash right outside the train. found a patch of grass let the dog do it business and re crated and was back on the train.
at the layover- currently he is in chicago on a 5 hour wait. he has used a locker to store his larger clothes bag and has headed outside to walk . he will probably remain out there the majority of the time he said. he was stopped/questioned by 2 agents, he produced his pet ticket they looked it over and he was on his way. We are assuming the 2nd train will go as the 1st. so far it has been what he considers smooth. no huge hassles, the dog had to be comforted once soon after boarding, son just picked up the whole carrier to his lap gave her treats and pet it through the grate in the door. once calm replaced it back on the floor.

again ymmv, but no one has been mean, unkind, or threatened to remove him from the train or station, he is carrying his ticket info and has it at the ready, but he is following the rules without trying to skirt them. i think pet travel would be easier with 2 people, however he is being creative even at an expense. i also think pre purchasing/planning is the way to go. if you frequently show up at the station and pay on board traveling with a pet is not the way to go. but again in this instance there was no expectation to bring back a pet but a little bit of planning didnt hurt.

please know ymmv

hello. an update to my inquiry. we did contact 800 rail number i did speak with cs. the cs rep did explain the policy a bit clearer. due to limited space for pets on board they HIGHLY encourage you to purchase your pet ticket in advance ( read: if it is popular in your area purchase when you purchase your ticket) if you have no ticketing agent or an un manned station, the process to check in your pet will take longer if you do not pre purchase. carry on pets are limited to 8 per TRAIN. not 8 per car. you cannot leave your pet alone, even for dining car or bathroom use. in this case as traveling alone, he planned ahead and stopped at the store to pack a sack lunch. and will take her to the bathroom with him. your train ride cannot exceed 7 hours PER SEGMENT. a pet is allowed only in coach class. and not on a commuter train. If your train has a 20 min or longer stop along the way they HIGHLY RECOMMEND preparing for that stop to de train and letting your pet use the bathroom. you MUST have enough time to de train find a spot and re board, they do not give notice that the train is leaving the stop. the rep suggested we look carefully at the scheduled stops when planing our trip. they are strict with the kennel size and requirements. the kennel counts as 1 of your 2 CARRYON'S. not personal items. your pet must remain in the kennel on the train and in all stations/property. the fee is for EACH LEG of the journey. in this case he had 2 fees. in the future, round trip he will 4 fees ( highly unlikely as he will board at home). the rep kindly asked ( read : demanded) the pet be bathed before travel. A SERVICE ANIMAL does not count as pet and is not counted in the 8 pet per train rule. a SERVICE ANIMAL is not an emotional support animal.

so far -
pre planning- dog size is 8 or 9 pounds. kennel purchased was a hard shell "small" sized plastic travel carrier. he purchased puppy pads and a cheap bath towel. he placed all plus her monkey and her in kennel. ( he fit remaining supplies pet bowl treats some food in his personal backpack). he has a leash at the ready. his current luggage situation: is 1 backpack, 1 kennel ,1 large duffel.
at the departing station- he was lucky and this was an agent manned station- he arrived a full hour before boarding, he waited in line at the ticket/checked baggage, the agent had him fill out the pet wavier, they did not weigh the carrier or dog, they did not inspect the dog. they didnt ask for any proofs. the agent reminded him to take the dog out before the 30 min to board time frame had passed. so that he was ready to board. he was allowed to pay both fees at the same time. he was given a receipt/ticket.
on the train- at boarding time he boarded fine. not preferred boarding, and not last. kennel was left in the foot space of his own seat not under a seat. at ticket check time, he produced his ticket and the pet receipt, the conductor looked his space over, made a note (unreadable; possibly a signature) on the pet receipt and handed it back. the conductor also said that there was an extended stop an hour and half into the trip for 15 mins. at the stop he carried the entire carrier and leash right outside the train. found a patch of grass let the dog do it business and re crated and was back on the train.
at the layover- currently he is in chicago on a 5 hour wait. he has used a locker to store his larger clothes bag and has headed outside to walk . he will probably remain out there the majority of the time he said. he was stopped/questioned by 2 agents, he produced his pet ticket they looked it over and he was on his way. We are assuming the 2nd train will go as the 1st. so far it has been what he considers smooth. no huge hassles, the dog had to be comforted once soon after boarding, son just picked up the whole carrier to his lap gave her treats and pet it through the grate in the door. once calm replaced it back on the floor.

again ymmv, but no one has been mean, unkind, or threatened to remove him from the train or station, he is carrying his ticket info and has it at the ready, but he is following the rules without trying to skirt them. i think pet travel would be easier with 2 people, however he is being creative even at an expense. i also think pre purchasing/planning is the way to go. if you frequently show up at the station and pay on board traveling with a pet is not the way to go. but again in this instance there was no expectation to bring back a pet but a little bit of planning didnt hurt.
Thanks for the update -- could be very helpful to future travelers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back