Anyone have the Link for Google Maps with the AMTRAK routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rrdude

Engineer
I swear I've seen it B4, just an't find it now. I'd like the routes to be superimposed any time I bring up Google maps...

Thanks.

I swear I've seen it B4, just an't find it now. I'd like the routes to be superimposed any time I bring up Google maps... Thanks.
Last I checked Google did not have any native Amtrak routes to select for display. Or at least none of the routes I was looking for. Google does have various freight railroads that are auto-mapped at low elevation but must be specifically selected for higher elevations. There are multiple user-created overlays you can selectively load over the standard google maps content. However, I'm not aware of how you would make these overlays always appear unless you saved them to a specific map which you then followed a specific link to each time. Also, I've never seen any user-created map that covers the entire network as it actually exists. Either they had the whole network as straight lines between stations or they had individual routes you could load separately. One of our own members was working on several of those routes. I don't know enough about the specific routings (down to the individual tracks and switches) to say if he was completely correct but his overlays sure looked good to me. Hopefully he'll chime in here at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool overlay to Google map - I like switching between the map, satellite, and terrain views as I look at a certain closeup. Also, it is revfealing to learn, for example, that the LSL and Maple Leaf have very different routes and stops between Albany and Buffalo.

Thanks for posting.

Rider

Very cool overlay to Google map - I like switching between the map, satellite, and terrain views as I look at a certain closeup. Also, it is revfealing to learn, for example, that the LSL and Maple Leaf have very different routes and stops between Albany and Buffalo.

Thanks for posting.

Rider
The routes are the same. The maps differ only because the highlited lines link only the stations that each train stops at.

Thanks for posting.

Rider
It appears that map just has straight lines drawn between stops, so it doesn't actually indicate where the tracks are.

Thanks for posting.

Rider
It appears that map just has straight lines drawn between stops, so it doesn't actually indicate where the tracks are.
You Are Correct Sir! However, for my purposes, which is to see, quickly, which Amtrak, if any, route might be near where I am heading, (sorry Davenport, IA, I'm flying in instead,.............) this works very well.

The "actual trackage" is not even close to the drawn lines....... but that's ok.

Well I WAS working on a path/route overlay project kinda thing to map out every rail line in North America, color coded for each railroad (and white for regionals), but then I left Florida (without a computer), forgot about it, came back, and well... got lazy. I did get quite a bit done though, despite the random nature in which I worked on tracing routes. Florida's complete aside from Norfolk Southern, along with much of GA, PA, WA, MT, ND, MN and WI. If you'd like the file, send me a PM.

I've started an overlay. Right now it includes only the MORR (my home route), and has addresses for each station as well as a link to the Amtrak timetables page. I wanted to have a link to the .pdf for that particular route, but when I pulled the URL from amtrak.com's source code, the link was broken. I didn't see anything unusual in the source code; it looked just like an ordinary link embedded in a table. Anyone have some insight into this?

Map available here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=214860517350758141053.00049ed60684b5a464349

Update--Just finished the three Illinois routes and the Hiawatha. It seems that there is a limit to the number of things that Google Maps can display at once, so I'm considering just doing the routes, and providing links for the stations.

Update--Have finished the Missouri state page. Have begun Illinois state page; located all LS/TE stations plus Glenview, and traced route from St. Louis to a point north of Bloomington?Normal. I think that's going to be all for today.

How about Galesburg and rent a car? Easy drive up I-74.
Thought of that, but since I'm coming from DC, it's just waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much dead time on a train, as it is, I fly in and out on the same day.

So sad. But time and $$$ win out on this one. At least it's Continental, and the points will eventually transfer.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back