Anyone See a Problem With This?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ehbowen

Engineer
Surfliner 785: Scheduled arrival LAUS: 6:55 p.m.

Sunset Limited: Scheduled departure 8:00 p.m. (modified schedule). Roomette (so Lounge access available).

No dinner on board after departure.

I love French Dips.

No trouble with six blocks or so of walking.

Not checking baggage but will have one roller bag, a laptop, and a CPAP bag.

I have no idea what kind of a line to expect that time of the evening (a Sunday evening, BTW).

Any suggestions on how to pull this off successfully?

Last time I did the SWC to LAUS and then the Pacific Surfliner to SAN I got a ride between trains from a Red Cap on a 'golf cart' type shuttle.

That'll be my plan in May as well, except SWC to Metropolitan Lounge and then Metropolitan Lounge to Pacific Surfliner.

I'm not worried about in the station, it's that half-mile walk (up and back) to Philippe's, plus any waiting in line, plus dropping the luggage in the Metro Lounge and picking it back up on the return. Is this do-able in one hour or less...preferably less?

Surfliner 785: Scheduled arrival LAUS: 6:55 p.m.

Sunset Limited: Scheduled departure 8:00 p.m. (modified schedule). Roomette (so Lounge access available).

No dinner on board after departure.

I love French Dips.

No trouble with six blocks or so of walking.

Not checking baggage but will have one roller bag, a laptop, and a CPAP bag.

I have no idea what kind of a line to expect that time of the evening (a Sunday evening, BTW).

Any suggestions on how to pull this off successfully?
Does Phillipes deliver?

Looking at their site, they don't mention delivery and it seems they have a $40 minimum for telephone take-out orders. I had planned to grab an extra sandwich as a bribe gift for the SCA, but $40 is a mite steep.

I don't understand why they won't take telephone orders for less, but anyway, I assume you can at least walk up and order to take out for less?

If so, and if you arrive on time, may be possible.

Or just get something in the station, and relax....who needs that kind of (unnecessary) stress when traveling? :unsure:

Take an earlier Surfliner, have more time in and around LUAS?

Yeah, I know, time is often a luxury item.

I think you'd be cutting it a little close -- in my experience, the lines at Phillippe's have been fairly long no matter the time of day.

I had less than an hour a week or so ago, was arriving from San Diego at about 9:50AM, and the "bus" for Bakersfield was due out at 10:45am

I had no trouble making the short hike to Phillipe's, (as you plan, dumped my bags in Met Lounge)

There was no time to spare, mind you, and I had about a 10-12 minute wait in line, maybe 15.

It was worth the risk, as there WERE other buses to Bakersfield IF I had missed the 10:45

Miss the Sunset, you're royally screwed.

Look, worst case is, you get to Phillipe's, check your watch, (cause you timed your walk over) and if you approach the time it took you to walk there, (minus getting bags, walking back to Sunset platform) then you spin on your heels, exit the line at Phillipe's and say, "I tried"

If you're really pressed for time then you might consider grabbing the first taxi in line and have them wait on the meter to rush you back to the station when you have your order.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll be cutting it close even if 785 arrives on time, which is a busy train on Sundays. My advice, take 583 so there's no rush. Train 2 will likely start boarding well before departure time, so you probably wont have much downtime.

A question: I'm booked in business class on 785. If I take an earlier Surfliner, will that put my Roomette reservation on the Sunset Limited in jeopardy as a no-show?

A question: I'm booked in business class on 785. If I take an earlier Surfliner, will that put my Roomette reservation on the Sunset Limited in jeopardy as a no-show?
Yep, if it's on the same rez since Biz Class is Reserved Seating! You didn' t indicated if you're on an AGR or Paid Rez but if you're sure which Surfliner you want to catch you can call and MODIFY, not Cancel, your Rez!
Also be sure the Conductor scans your ticket when you board on the way to LAX!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I just received the notification that the Sunset Limited's departure is being pushed back to its normal hour of 10:00 p.m. on my departure date. Since there's no later Surfliner which would allow me to safely make the connection, I can have a leisurely sit-down dinner at Phillipe's and then burn an hour or two in the Metropolitan Lounge. Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back