Anyone Seen "In Transit" the Documentary About Empire Builder?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deni

Lead Service Attendant
I've been wanting to see this documentary for a long time. Since it premiered at the 2015 Tribeca Film Festival it has been doing the festival circuit but has yet to play in Chicago where I currently live (at least that I know of) and still no DVD release news.

One of the co-directors is the late Albert Maysles, who directed Grey Gardens and Gimme Shelter, among other masterpieces. This is his last film.

It is called "In Transit" and it follows some people as they travel across the country on the Empire Builder.

Anyone here had a chance to see it yet? I'm curious if it is as good as it looks.

The Empire Builder has a special place in my heart due to all the times I took it in the 90s and early 00s while I was living in Seattle. The trailer for the movie really takes me back to the kind of conversations had and people met when I was taking it on a regular basis:

http://www.intransitfilm.com/trailer/

IN TRANSIT journeys into the hearts and minds of everyday passengers aboard Amtrak's Empire Builder, the busiest long-distance train route in America. Captured in the tradition of Direct Cinema, the film unfolds as a series of interconnected vignettes, ranging from overheard conversations to moments of deep intimacy, in which passengers share their fears, hopes and dreams. In the space between stations, where 'real life' is suspended, we are swept into a fleeting community that transcends normal barriers, and where a peculiar atmosphere of contemplation and community develops. To some passengers, the train is flight and salvation, to others it is reckoning and loss. But for all, it is a place for personal reflection and connecting with others they may otherwise never know.

I'm surprised I couldn't find a thread about it on here, I figured some of the members would have seen it by now. I'm hoping to be able to see it in a movie theater so I can get the big screen experience. Maybe they'll hit the Chicago Int'l Film Fest this year in Oct.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the movie has had its own thread but it has been mentioned on the forum previously. I don't keep up with the documentary circuit but it looks like all currently scheduled showings are well outside of the US. Reviews seem to be mixed but I've put a reminder in my calendar to check for it again in 2017.

Link to prior mention: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/67442-bunches-of-newbie-questions-empire-builder-milwaukee-to-seattle/page-2#entry654291
Lots of the American festivals in the autumn have not scheduled their program yet. Chicago is still accepting submissions for their October fest, so it is very likely it plays more U.S. locations this fall, unless they are done with festivals and put it out on DVD by then.

Lots of the American festivals in the autumn have not scheduled their program yet. Chicago is still accepting submissions for their October fest, so it is very likely it plays more U.S. locations this fall, unless they are done with festivals and put it out on DVD by then.
According to IMDb, it still appears to be traveling the extended film festival circuit, so it may not have a distributor yet. Often indie films will attempt to get some sort of distribution deal before signing a DVD deal. It's been featured at Vancouver International, Austin, and Denver International Film Festivals in the last half of 2015. Tomorrow it will be appearing at the DocAviv Film Festival in Israel.

The EB is my main train, I visit Seattle from Minneapolis 0-2 times each year. I've met a whole bunch of interesting people on that train.

Hope the documentary is as good as the prizes and trailer promote.

Can't fly to Australia to see the current limited release, hope it goes well there.

The EB is my main train, I visit Seattle from Minneapolis 0-2 times each year. I've met a whole bunch of interesting people on that train.

Hope the documentary is as good as the prizes and trailer promote.

Can't fly to Australia to see the current limited release, hope it goes well there.
Yeah, every trip I ever took on the EB (I was doing about 1-2 round trips a year SEA-CHI for much of the mid to late 90s and very early 00s) involved a lot of interesting and very different types of people and great conversations. Lots of crazy stuff would happen too, especially in the old downstairs smoking compartment. There was always a group willing to run into RJ's Lounge in Havre for a quick cocktail during the service stop there.

The Tallahassee Film Society (Tallahassee, Florida) shows its films inside the Amtrak station in Tallahassee. The theater is called All Saints Cinema and has been inside the station since 2005.

In December, 2015, we showed "In Transit" three times over a weekend. It was a nicely done documentary film from the late Albert Maysles, famed doc filmmaker. It was very enjoyable.

But to be honest, it is more about the people on the Empire Builder than the train and its scenery. There is some wonderful footage of the train and the environment it goes through. But it is

really the stories of those on it.

Not sure exactly, but I seem to recall the filmmaker had 3 film crews on several different EB trainsets over 6 months. We were pleased to show it, though it was not gangbusters on ticket purchasers.

I would watch it again in a second!

It should be available on Netflix. I just put it into my "saved" queue. If you put it there, they will notify you when it is released to DVD and available - usually only a few months.

It should be available on Netflix. I just put it into my "saved" queue. If you put it there, they will notify you when it is released to DVD and available - usually only a few months.
I can't find it on Netflix, what are the magic words? I search Albert Maysles and only found two entries,,,, I freely admit my Netfix skills are minimal,, your help is appreciated

"In Transit" is till active in the festival and theater circuits, so it may be awhile before it is on Netflix. Best bet to follow it is on its official website where showings are listed

and I am sure the director will announce when it is issued publicly on DVD.

http://www.intransitfilm.com/

I'm guessing it will do the festival circuit and specialty indie/art houses for at least the rest of this year before any sort of DVD release happens. I'm also guessing there will not be a wide release. I'm hoping either for the Chicago festival or a weekend at the Gene Siskel Film Center at some point.

You can find it on Netflix (the DVD subscription, I don't have streaming) as an unreleased DVD you can "save" to your queue, but not "add." But it has an unknown release date so it could be in your saved section of the queue for a long time. I've got some movies in my saved section (obscure titles) that have been in there for a couple of years.

It was part of the Doc 10 festival at the Music Box in Chicago back in April. I hope it shows up again someplace so you have a chance to see it.

Hello Former

Where did you get the information of showings in England from? We have to get back there soon and would like to take a look at this film as it's subject is the main reason we travel.

Thanks

In the 1980's, I traveled solo on the EB from Minn. to Seattle, just to ride the train. I wasn't married at the time, but I still had flight benefits from my father's occupation as an airline pilot.

Dallas to Minneapolis - Jet

Minn to Seattle - EB

Seattle to LA - Coast Starlight

LA to Dallas - Jet

So, I was in transit on Amtrak for 3 days traveling from Minn. to LA.

It was all in coach, but because I was traveling the longer distance, I was put in a car near the diner.

It was a late spring trip.

The food on the train was excellent! The best piece of cheesecake I've ever eaten!! Every bite ... was Heaven !!!

I missed some of the early morning scenery because I stayed up late.

A woman on the trip to Seattle was on her way to be with her husband ... in Alaska.

The surrealist part of the voyage was on the Coast Starlight as we left Portland headed overnight to San Fran. The "hippie" types on that segment made for a memorable people watching event.

Sorry about the possibly misleading info about Netflix. Yes, I have the DVD subscription, and it is recognized (but not yet available) there. No experience with the streaming subscription.

Sorry about the possibly misleading info about Netflix. Yes, I have the DVD subscription, and it is recognized (but not yet available) there. No experience with the streaming subscription.
I believe if you have a streaming-only subscription, there's no equivalent to being able to "save" a not-yet-existent title, as there is with a subscription that includes DVDs -- you can only "add to list" if the title is currently available for streaming.

It was part of the Doc 10 festival at the Music Box in Chicago back in April. I hope it shows up again someplace so you have a chance to see it.
Aw crap, I didn't know about that festival. Damn, Music Box would have been a great place to see it. I didn't think it had played anywhere in Chicago yet.

I would also suggest that with Netflix, the titles for the DVD service are most likely based on rating information from the MPAA, which is why there are titles that show with no theatrical release date and no DVD release date as being 'upcoming' and yet have the ability to be saved to a queue.

Hello Former

Where did you get the information of showings in England from? We have to get back there soon and would like to take a look at this film as it's subject is the main reason we travel.

Thanks
Try www.intransitfilm.com

The site says screenings are scheduled for Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra, and Adelaide during the period May 17 to June 8.

Then at the Open City Documentary Festival, London, England, June 21 to 26, 2016.

I don't see any information of screenings after that.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I totally missed the link.

It's very close to Oxford Circus tube station, maybe a 2 minute walk, no more, so very convenient for anyone in London (England) on the 25 June. And I see there is a Q&A session after the film, what an opportunity.

We have to be in France from the 10 June for 6 weeks so no chance of getting to it, just hope that it gets a DVD release sometime or shown again in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back