April trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Todd

I've never traveled by train before but I booked a trip starting on April ***....

i live in Buffalo, NY...trip will be Lake Shore/Empire Builder to Seattle (3 nights on train, night 1 in roomette #2 and the last 2 nights in bedroom E)...then 2 nights in Seattle...then Coast Starlight from Seattle to LA (1 night in bedroom E)...then 2 nights in LA...then Southwest Chief/Lake Shore (first 2 nights in bedroom E, last night in roomette #2)...

i booked 3 months ago and played with dates to get the lowest price bucket for each leg (total cost for 7 nights on train was $3,200)....any suggestions for hotels near stations in Seattle and LAX (never been to either) or things to do for 1.5 days in each city...

That is a fairly long trip for your first train trip, but sounds like a great trip.

Everyone has different preferences for hotels. I stay at Hilton properties. There is a fairly new Embassy Suites across the street from King Street Station in Seattle where I stayed in 2019. I have stayed at the Doubletree in LA. It is walking distances (depending on your walking ability) however, I did not walk at night.

Regarding Los Angeles. The Metro Plaza is a short walk from Union Station. It is a decent budget hotel, nothing luxurious, but clean and comfortable.

The major downtown hotels, like the Westin Bonaventure or the Biltmore are a short cab ride away.

The Hilton Embassy Suites is next door to King Street Station in Seattle. Not a budget hotel but it is convenient (very short walk)!
The "13 Coins" restaurant in the hotel is pretty good.

The Hilton Embassy Suites is next door to King Street Station in Seattle. Not a budget hotel but it is convenient (very short walk)!
The "13 Coins" restaurant in the hotel is pretty good.
13 Coins is very good, if a bit pricey, and is open 24/7.

I know a lot of locals were upset when they got pushed out of their old location in Queen Anne, but I love the new location, being right across the street from King Street Station. Great for breakfast when I ride the early Sounder down from Everett to connect with the Starlight.

It almost makes up for having no food service in the station.

For 5 nights in a bedroom (plus the roomettes) it is a great price. I am paying more for just 4 nights in a bedroom in an April round trip next year on the CZ. My reservation was 1 month ago. It is surprising what 2 months earlier will do. I have done roomettes many times in the past but I will no longer do it. It is too claustrophobic for me and I get up too many times at night. There are no facilities in the superliner roomettes.

Last edited:
Can't say anything about hotels in Seattle, as I have many friends to stay with (used to live there), but I have a few suggestions for what to do downtown:

Thanks for all the advice...I hope that this trip is epic...

I got the cheapest rooms thanks to all your help (I feel lucky to have gotten 5 nights in bedroom E and 2 nights in roomette #2 for this price)...I just want to try the rail life for once and I love to read...so instead of tent camping (something I have spent a lot of time doing) and reading, I can see the sites and read...and hopefully the food will be decent....

Thanks for all the advice...I hope that this trip is epic...

I got the cheapest rooms thanks to all your help (I feel lucky to have gotten 5 nights in bedroom E and 2 nights in roomette #2 for this price)...I just want to try the rail life for once and I love to read...so instead of tent camping (something I have spent a lot of time doing) and reading, I can see the sites and read...and hopefully the food will be decent....
I hope everything goes as planned and that you enjoy it! Please, do a trip report, many of us would love to hear about it.

It will likely be the trip of a lifetime! I recommend you take plenty of pictures en route, you'll want to relive it when you get back. If you use a camera, bring extra batteries--I can go through three a day, easy. If you use your phone, plug it in to keep it juiced up.

Also, you can get lots of advice here to make the trip as special as can be. Don't forget to check out the first timers advice forum and the What to do forum, arranged by city. Lots of great suggestions there!

I've never traveled by train before but I booked a trip starting on April ***....

i live in Buffalo, NY...trip will be Lake Shore/Empire Builder to Seattle (3 nights on train, night 1 in roomette #2 and the last 2 nights in bedroom E)...then 2 nights in Seattle...then Coast Starlight from Seattle to LA (1 night in bedroom E)...then 2 nights in LA...then Southwest Chief/Lake Shore (first 2 nights in bedroom E, last night in roomette #2)...

i booked 3 months ago and played with dates to get the lowest price bucket for each leg (total cost for 7 nights on train was $3,200)....any suggestions for hotels near stations in Seattle and LAX (never been to either) or things to do for 1.5 days in each city...
I got a great price for the trip I have but I am maybe dreaming about a larger loop...I already have the Buffalo to Seattle and Seattle to LAX tickets purchased (and the LAX to Buffalo currently)...was thinking of changing tickets from LAX to Buffalo to instead LAX to New Orleans and New Orleans to Buffalo...it would make the trip 14 nights (8 on train) with 2 nights each in Seattle, LA, and New Orleans....rather than existing purchased tickets which is 11 nights (7 on train) with 2 nights in LA and Seattle....it would cost an extra $1,000 (plus 2 nights hotel in New Orleans) to change out LAX to Buffalo (Bedroom/Roomette for Lax to Chicago/Chicago to Buffalo) to Family Bedroom/Bedroom/Roomette for LAX to New Orleans/New Orleans to Chicago/Chicago to Buffalo)...any thoughts on whether it would be worth it? Pros/Cons? Losing Southwest Chief to add Sunset Limited and City of New Orleans...again, my first Amtrak trip...

Note that I've been in 40 states but have never been to Seattle, LA, or New Orleans...which is why I would stay 2 nights at each place....it would bring my state count total (including the trip) to 46 states (I would add Washington, Oregon, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, and Louisiana)...it would leave only Hawaii, Alaska, and Mississippi and Alabama to hit all 50...

So, I got a great deal on the updated trip!

New agenda for April...

LSL/Empire Builder
Buffalo to Chicago, Roomette #2
Chicago to Seattle, Bedroom E

Two Nights in Seattle

Coast Starlight

Seattle to LA, Bedroom E

Two Nights in LA

Sunset Limited

LA to New Orleans, Roomette #3

Two Nights in New Orleans

City of New Orleans/LSL

New Orleans to Chicago, Bedroom D
Chicago to Buffalo, Roomette #2

Now a 14 night vacation
A total of 8 nights on the train (4 in Bedroom, 4 in Roomette) for total cost of $3336
Also 2 nights in Seattle, 2 nights in LA and 2 nights in New Orleans

I now need to get the hotel reservations in Seattle, LA and New Orleans. Planning on hitting the public market and space needle in Seattle, catch the Dodgers/Reds game at Dodger Stadium in LA, and stay in French Quarter and tour in New Orleans. Any comments or suggestions would be great!

Final update (hopefully), had to make changes after the 5 day a week schedule was recently extended. Basically, lose a night in Seattle and added a night in New Orleans. I'm leaving at just after midnight (very early) 4/9 from Buffalo.

LSL/Empire Builder
Buffalo to Chicago, Roomette #6
Chicago to Seattle, Bedroom B

One Night in Seattle

Coast Starlight

Seattle to LA, Bedroom E

Two Nights in LA

Sunset Limited

LA to New Orleans, Roomette #3

Three Nights in New Orleans

City of New Orleans/LSL

New Orleans to Chicago, Bedroom E
Chicago to Buffalo, Roomette #5

14 night vacation
A total of 8 nights on the train (4 in Bedroom, 4 in Roomette) for total cost of $3336
Also 1 nights in Seattle, 2 nights in LA and 3 nights in New Orleans

I just bought a ticket for the Dodgers game on 4/14, which is now (due to labor issues and delayed season start) their home opener, have a bike tour reserved in NOLA for the french quarter and garden district, planning on disc (frisbee) golfing in LA and New Orleans, and plan to hit the public market in Seattle. So excited!

Last edited:
My personal feeling is that you've done well trading one night in Seattle for an extra night in New Orleans. Seattle is a great city, but New Orleans is a unique and fantastic one. I'll be spending three nights in NO arriving April 22 on my way west. Do spend time to explore the city by foot during the daytime, and the restaurants and jazz venues in the evening.

My personal feeling is that you've done well trading one night in Seattle for an extra night in New Orleans. Seattle is a great city, but New Orleans is a unique and fantastic one. I'll be spending three nights in NO arriving April 22 on my way west. Do spend time to explore the city by foot during the daytime, and the restaurants and jazz venues in the evening.

I'm just going to miss you by a few days, I'll be in NOLA overnight 4/17, 4/18, 4/19.

So, I'm staying a the Metro Plaza Hotel in LA, which is a quick walk from Union Station...google maps says it is only a mile or so walk from the hotel. to Dodger Stadium...I like to hike much longer distances in the Rockies, so for me an easy 20-30 minute walk...much easier and less complicated...also plan on disc (frisbee) golfing the following day at Chavez Ridge course in Elysian Park behind the stadium, a bit longer walk (just under 2 miles), maybe I'll grab an Uber and maybe I'll walk...

I want to hit Santa Monica Pier, so I have to find some form of transport for that, I'm assuming there might be something from Union Station...

I want to hit Santa Monica Pier, so I have to find some form of transport for that, I'm assuming there might be something from Union Station...
Metro subway a few stops to Metro Center, where the Metro Expo Line will take you to downtown Santa Monica a few blocks from the pier.

Final update (hopefully),............... and plan to hit the public market in Seattle. So excited!

Be prepared in April for rainy weather in Seattle and if it's nice it'll be fabulous.

Winter2004-05 109.jpg

Winter2004-05 143show.jpg

Metro subway a few stops to Metro Center, where the Metro Expo Line will take you to downtown Santa Monica a few blocks from the pier.
For a person with a short visit to L.A. I'd endorse the Expo Line to Santa Monica, too. There's always something going on, either on line or at the Santa Monica pier. My parents enjoyed it via the Pacific Electric on their honeymoon in 1946. I was there for a job interview in 1984 and two job candidates from New Jersey said that they would have offered to pay expenses if they had realized how interesting it was. In 2016 a Russian tourist who spoke no English was on the Expo Line and let me tag along for a photo series. Of course, it's L.A.!

P1040455k.JPG

P1040456k.JPG

P1040457k.JPG

P1040460k.JPG
P1040466k.JPG

P1040467.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back