April trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm staying a the Metro Plaza Hotel in LA, which is a quick walk from Union Station...google maps says it is only a mile or so walk from the hotel. to Dodger Stadium...I like to hike much longer distances in the Rockies, so for me an easy 20-30 minute walk...much easier and less complicated...also plan on disc (frisbee) golfing the following day at Chavez Ridge course in Elysian Park behind the stadium, a bit longer walk (just under 2 miles), maybe I'll grab an Uber and maybe I'll walk...

I want to hit Santa Monica Pier, so I have to find some form of transport for that, I'm assuming there might be something from Union Station...

Big Blue bus goes from Union Station in LA to Santa Monica pier. Since you like to walk, you can walk from the SM pier south a short way to Venice. Interesting place at times. Also, as Trainman recommended the shuttle to Dodger stadium, I also would think it’s the best way to get there. It looks close, but because of the freeway I think you have to walk up around the stadium parking lot to get to the stadium. It’s all up hill. About 3 miles. See attached map.
Great trip you have planned.

8A902F19-BFFF-4A5A-A6D5-49E2E063CB2C.png

The preferred route shown on Google Maps is 1.6 miles from the Metro Plaza hotel to the entrance to the Dodger Stadium parking lots -- which are, for some reason, green on the map even though they're mostly asphalt/concrete. Figure maybe another half a mile from the spot where the dotted line ends to walk across the parking lots into the stadium. (Although the stadium setup is notably car-centric, there are some marked walking paths and pedestrian crossings within the parking lots.) The main stretch along Cesar Chavez/Sunset Boulevard has a bit of an uphill slope, and then after the right turn onto Vin Scully Avenue, it's quite a bit steeper... but the parking lots are mostly flat, and once you're actually inside the stadium gates, there are escalators and elevators available.

2bi6rRP.png

Only 2 weeks until my big trip!

One question:

I've been doing my research here and I know that the long distance western routes have basically no Wi-Fi. I recently got my phone plan with Verizon upgraded so that I can use it as a wi-fi hotspot for my laptop (I also already have some downloaded TV/movies from Netflix and plan on doing a lot of reading). Any rough idea of what percentage of the time on my routes (EB, CS, SL, and CONO) that I will be able to use the phone for Wi-Fi (aka, there will be service)?

On the EB, SL and CS, unless you are in a canyon surrounded by mountains (i.e. the Rockies or Cascades north and south of Klamath Falls, west Texas), you should have service MOST of the time. In fact, the CS used to have wi-fi in the 1st class lounge car (does anyone know what happened to the wi-fi after they sold the PPCs?). This is because freeways and Blue Highways are mostly well-served by cell towers, and the train tracks tend to follow the same routes - though not always closely ENOUGH.

Thanks for the answer!

That is what I was hoping for; and guessed might be true. I thought maybe 70% of the time there is cell service.

I have spent 175 nights at Glacier National Park hiking and tent camping in the last 13 years and there is basically no cell service in the Park.

If I am remembering correctly, the SL has service basically the whole way, although I think in Eastern California and around Sanderson maybe there might not be service.

CS, there's a good chunk of it without service. I know theres a lot of places without it between Chemult and Eugene up in the Cascades, and between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo.

Metro subway a few stops to Metro Center, where the Metro Expo Line will take you to downtown Santa Monica a few blocks from the pier.

I did a little digging, is this right?

Metro B Line (Red)/Metro D Line (Purple) from Union Station to 7th Street Metro Center

Metro E Line (Expo) from 7th Street Metro Center to Santa Monica

We were at Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach just a few weeks ago, they never let you down for very different reasons, and we are not beach people either... recommended.

There's much more to the greater LA area but maybe save other parts for another trip.

I did a little digging, is this right?

Metro B Line (Red)/Metro D Line (Purple) from Union Station to 7th Street Metro Center

Metro E Line (Expo) from 7th Street Metro Center to Santa Monica

Correct. At the 7th Street/Metro Center station, you'll be going upstairs to make the transfer. Don't forget to listen for announcements and/or check the destination signs of the trains at the upstairs platform, since the A Line (Long Beach) also operates from that platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back