Are items such as towels, bath soap etc. provided in the sleeper?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutecreativegal

Train Attendant
I'm trying to pack my carryon and i just wanted to know what items are provided in the Sleeper. Is it sort of like a hotel with towels, soap, shower caps etc. Provided?

If anyone knows what items are provided i'd greatly appreciate it if you could let me know.

Thank you.

:)

I'm trying to pack my carryon and i just wanted to know what items are provided in the Sleeper. Is it sort of like a hotel with towels, soap, shower caps etc. Provided?
If anyone knows what items are provided i'd greatly appreciate it if you could let me know.

Thank you.

Small bars of soap, facecloths, hand towels, and bath towels. The soap is just plain soap, nothing fragrant or fancy in any way. I don't believe I've ever seen a shower cap available.

Hope this helps :)

Mike

P.S. No shampoo, either!

Thank you.

Towels and little soaps are provided. Not sure about shower caps.

Thank you.

I believe it is just towels, wash cloths, and soap. No shampoo, shower caps, etc... However, IIRC the Empire Builder had an additional amenities 'kit' provided. I do not recall what was in it though.

Yes, what basic items you need (pillows, blankets, washcloths, soap) are provided in your room, and larger towels, washcloths and soap is also in the shower room. There is no shampoo provided. (I just carry a small travel sized bottle. ;) )

The towels in the shower room are "first come, first serve"! You may find few, if any, remaining late in the morning of your arrival. Better to secure one or two towels before you retire for the evening, and keep them in your room, if your attendant has not already given you a bath towel in your room.

The towels in the shower room are "first come, first serve"! You may find few, if any, remaining late in the morning of your arrival. Better to secure one or two towels before you retire for the evening, and keep them in your room, if your attendant has not already given you a bath towel in your room.
Thanks for the tip!! :)

The Empire Builder and I'm pretty sure the Coast Starlight also, now have an amenity bag that includes a body wash and shampoo.

Yes both the Builder and Starlight have them.

Wouldn't mind them bringing back bathroom slippers myself-- but what have you.

Upon boarding, we always ask the Sleeping Car Attendant (SCA) if he/she could bring us a couple of extra bath towels if available & when convenient for the SCA to do so. Amtrak bath linens are, indeed, on the smallish and thinnish side. Sometimes there's a stack of clean towels in the downstairs shower compartment, sometimes there isn't.

And I always bring a travel-size bottle of combination shampoo/conditioner to reduce time & water use in the shower.

Upon boarding, we always ask the Sleeping Car Attendant (SCA) if he/she could bring us a couple of extra bath towels if available & when convenient for the SCA to do so. Amtrak bath linens are, indeed, on the smallish and thinnish side. Sometimes there's a stack of clean towels in the downstairs shower compartment, sometimes there isn't.
And I always bring a travel-size bottle of combination shampoo/conditioner to reduce time & water use in the shower.
Are the showers clean? Can i be bare foot in there or do i need flip flops to wear in the shower?

Are the showers clean? Can i be bare foot in there or do i need flip flops to wear in the shower?
They're clean but they aren't bleached after each use so if you are worried about foot-born fungus or such then, yes, wear flip flops.

Of course if you are in a bedroom you have a private shower.

I find them clean, and always go barefoot. Nothing has happened to me! (But maybe that explains how I am! :lol: )

However like any public shower, there is always a possibility. Maybe I like to take chances. It's up to each person to chose.

In the bedroom you have a private shower. In the past we have sprayed the bathrooms with Lysol but the flip flops are an excellent measure of protection to have. We will probably buy them and take them along on this years trip. We also spray the toilet seat. They are cleaned but not santized. You could also buy a pack of toilet seat covers and use them ESPECIALLY if you are in a Superliner roomette and have to use the community bathroom.

Our take on supplies- two pillows from home (carrried in plastic zipper bags)- we sleep more comfortablly with them as opposed to the flat "camping pillows" that Amtrak provides. You can sometimes ask and get two pillows but not always so if you like a big fluffy down pillow, take it with you. A standard travel kit w all of our personal needs + shampoo. The room will have hand and bath towels, extra toilet paper, cups and tissues. Don't forget a small hair dryer as there is none onboard. If you like the "skinhead" style then its not needed. Roomettes do not have bathroom supplies except for paper towels on the Viewliner roomettes that have a sink and potty.

As for clothing -one full change for dinner, an extra shirt for the following day and pajamas. That is if you wear them. If you are going cross country I could never figure out how people take three days of clothing into a sleeper.

Don't take more than an overnight bag and a laptop and/or SMALL cooler on board as space is limited. If you like specialty soft drinks take them with you. We usually take about 4 soft drinks with us ( 2 ea) as they do not sell Sanpellegrino sodas, Orangina, Starbucks Frappucino or specialty drinks often. They do provide free bottled water and coffee in the sleepers 24 hours. You can purchase cokes and booze in the lounge

If you decide to take full size luggage as a carry on, you'll be sorry. Rooms and roomettes are small compact and efficient sleeping places but hardly set up to accomodate full sized luggage. Thats the way we do it and it works for us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you.

My experience is that bedrooms have towels, shampoo, soap and lotion. Roomettes usually don't in my observation.

Thank you.

My experience is that bedrooms have towels, shampoo, soap and lotion. Roomettes usually don't in my observation.
Hmm so i should just bring my own stuff to be safe? I have a roomette, but i'm trying not to overpack my carryon....so i'm trying to get as much info as i can.

Thank you

Thank you.

Hmm so i should just bring my own stuff to be safe? I have a roomette, but i'm trying not to overpack my carryon....so i'm trying to get as much info as i can.

Thank you
I guess it varies on how flexible you are. If you only like to use Egyptian cotton towels then take your own because your not going to get that on Amtrak. If you're more flexible then you can do fine with what provided by Amtrak.

Thank you.

Thank you
If I were you I would buy the small sample size shampoo and lotion at the grocery store (or if you are staying in a hotel between now and your sleeper trip, take home a bootle of each from your hotel room). There will be bars of soap in the shower room.

I'd buy it anyway, if you're like me (and care about your hair) buy your favorite conditioners and such, the Amtrak stuff (while perfectly fine) will not help your hair if you're anal about your follicles..

Thank you
Aloha

I have found everything I needed in the communal Shower that I needed. It just depends how luxurious you want. I prefer to carry as little as possible, leaving room for my cameras.

Eric

Back