Are wheels included in bag measurement?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking to buy a piece of luggage that is 28" in length, but would be 30" if the wheels are included. Are the wheels included in the measurement?

Also, is there anyway to search for keywords in the discussion topics?

Thanks!

For planes, at least theoretically yes, since they want the largest bags to fit lengthwise and not sideways in the bins to maximize capacity utilization.the wheels cannot just stick out of the overhead bins. For trains, I don't know.

Hi,

Most transport operators measure luggage from the maximimum dimensions. As the wheels, handles and other projections take up space, they would be included in the overall size determination.

For Amtrak, I have NEVER been subjected to any size examination of my luggage.

Ed :cool:

For planes, at least theoretically yes, since they want the largest bags to fit lengthwise and not sideways in the bins to maximize capacity utilization.the wheels cannot just stick out of the overhead bins. For trains, I don't know.
This is off topic but it's something I think more people need to hear. When storing luggage in the overhead bin on an aircraft the most efficient method is to place your bag on it's thinnest side with the wheels facing out toward the aisle. Half the reason the overhead bins never have enough room is because the traveling public has no clue how to pack efficiently.

The times I've traveled by Amtrak my bags have only been checked for weight.
At Jacksonville station a few weeks back I noticed this device which is a weighing platform but with a box sizer fitted on it. So that you can safely weigh only those pieces of luggage that fit in it. The rest, well, they are out of regulation and I suppose get charged

I have never been subjected to size inspection, just weight. In my own opinion, it will be entirely dependent on uniformed station or train crew and the mood they are in and space being available, etc. Or as my SCA on my CZ last fall said,

"IF You carried it on the train, You are carrying it off the train. If there is space available, I don't care [in regards to the area downstairs for bags] but if you are not stacking them in an efficient manner for the convenience of others, I will rearrange!" There was one couple in Bedroom A, who thought it was there own personal baggage storage, they got re arranged.

Long story short, as long as you don't inconvenience others, AMTRAK crew will allow it.

This is off topic but it's something I think more people need to hear. When storing luggage in the overhead bin on an aircraft the most efficient method is to place your bag on it's thinnest side with the wheels facing out toward the aisle. Half the reason the overhead bins never have enough room is because the traveling public has no clue how to pack efficiently.
When I fly on Delta they want the bags to go into the bin wheels first and the flight attendant will rotate the bag if one is found with the wheels sticking out.

On Amtrak my checked bags are always weighed to make sure they were under 50#. I have never had a carry on bag measured or weighed. I usually travel in a sleeper and store a carryon in the luggage area on the first floor near the doors. As passengers come and go luggage may get moved but I've always been able to access my bag if I needed something from it.

It depend on if the bag is being checked or being carried on. If being checked, it may (I'm not sure) include the wheels. But if it is being carried on, I (as other have said) have never had someone come and measure or weigh a bag.

When I fly on Delta they want the bags to go into the bin wheels first and the flight attendant will rotate the bag if one is found with the wheels sticking out.
On the vast majority of domestic narrow body aircraft the larger end of the overhead bin is at the front opening near the aisle. Since nearly all rolling luggage attaches the wheels on the wider end it only makes sense to put the wheels facing out. The downside for this is that there won't be a handle sticking out when retrieving. So if a passenger is short or out of shape or simply brought too much luggage they might drop it or consider asking a flight attendant to help with their kitchen sink. That's one reason why Delta flight attendants might be against it. On large widebody aircraft used for intercontinental flights the shape and design of newer overhead luggage bins can accept rolling luggage equally well in either orientation.

I don't think the 28 inch max applies to checked baggage. I have a roller duffle I use to carry my snowshoes and other winter gear. Max dimension is 30 inches, and I've checked that bag all over the place with no problem. Heck, I've even carried it on the Vermonter, Northeast Regional and Empire service. Along with a pair of skis, in a ski bag, of course. Skis fit real nice in the Amfleet overhead racks.

Also, is there anyway to search for keywords in the discussion topics?
Yes, it's at the top right. But it's **** poor. If you enter XYZ, you will get a lot of results. But chances are if you do a page search of XYZ, you won't find it. You are better off using Googles advanced search. In addition to the key words, enter the URL in the space provided.

This is why when a noobie starts a new thread whose topic has been beat to death, you can't assume he didn't make a good faith effort to find the topic.

On Amtrak my checked bags are always weighed to make sure they were under 50#. I have never had a carry on bag measured or weighed. I usually travel in a sleeper and store a carryon in the luggage area on the first floor near the doors. As passengers come and go luggage may get moved but I've always been able to access my bag if I needed something from it.
Funny, Alaska is just the opposite. They want you to put carry ons in the bin wheels out.

On Amtrak my checked bags are always weighed to make sure they were under 50#. I have never had a carry on bag measured or weighed.
I believe this is because Amtrak is doing this to protect its employees from back injury...unlike airliner's, the total weight of all the checked baggage doesn't matter at all.

So what you carry on or off yourself, doesn't matter to them....except the size or amount may matter when there is limited carry on space available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the 28 inch max applies to checked baggage. I have a roller duffle I use to carry my snowshoes and other winter gear. Max dimension is 30 inches, and I've checked that bag all over the place with no problem. Heck, I've even carried it on the Vermonter, Northeast Regional and Empire service. Along with a pair of skis, in a ski bag, of course. Skis fit real nice in the Amfleet overhead racks.
Checked baggage is listed as a post office style "linear inches" with the total height + width + depth at a maximum 75 inches. Oversize is charged extra up to 100 inches. Theoretically a 72"x1.5"X11.5" box would be OK.

Amtrak personnel are pretty relaxed about item size, even though they could theoretically request payment. You mentioned skis, which fit well in open bins. They might not on the airline-style latched bins on some California Cars. I've seen someone offloading with a guitar.

I've also seen Amtrak bicycle boxes, although I believe there's a charge for that. The Pacific Surfliner specifically accepts surfboards as checked items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back