Are you using the AGR credit card less?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've sock drawered one of my AGR cards. The other is still in use, largely out of inertia (my brother uses it...it was a financial tracking thing we set up)...but at this rate even that may change.

But even with that in mind, the AGR card has largely been overtaken by a series of offers on other cards (I'm currently getting 4.5 SkyPesos per dollar on all purchases with my DL card, while my Marriott cards have been running 10 points per dollar on a few categories) plus the train wreck that has been the cut to service (the Florida train cuts have been a killer for me). The Auto Train aside, I haven't been on Amtrak since March. I do not anticipate this changing; if anything, even the Auto Train is lacking in appeal at present.

As shocking as it would have been to say a year ago, I could easily see myself not taking Amtrak again at this rate, full stop. I'm not going to frak with a mask for several hours if I can drive instead. Winnie the Flu has simply inverted my long-time calculations.

My AGR started ringing up fraudulent charges. I called (web-site said to call the number) and they said there was nothing they could do since I was not calling from my home phone (out-of-town) and could not "verify" me. I canceled the card as I won't be home for another 2 weeks. Switched to my Wells Fargo VISA card and will stay there.

Last edited:
I'm using my Amazon card instead, because I can't really cash out any of the AGR points at the moment, and boy howdy am I able to cash out the Amazon points right now.

I'm keeping the Amtrak card for future use, once *service is restored* and *the pandemic is under control*. I expect both will happen, though not until next year.

I have no problem with wearing a mask for an entire seated daytime trip (and of course I can take it off in a roomette). What I have a problem with is the extremely high rates of potential exposure which are currently present -- masks are very effective but not *perfect*, and when Ward County, ND (Minot) has *192 new cases per day*, for a rate of 284/100K/day, I don't even want to be on a train which *stops* there. And of course three-a-week service is unschedulable.

In general I'm not using my travel/gas rewards cards due to my lack of traveling or using (much) gas. I've switched to using the one store-branded rewards card I have since that's where I need freebies right now.

I don't have an AGR credit card because I have a bad history with BofA.

I am using mine the same as before, maybe a bit more since I have used instacart and made other online purchases a bit more than previously. I hope the pandemic is over next year so I can use some of those points.

Back