Around the US in 9 days

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_traveler

Engineer
Due to unpopular opinion, I am submitting a report of my latest trip. I went from KIN to KIN! :giggle:

Part 1

Between 2/28/13 and 3/8/13, I decided to take a "short" train ride. The origination station was KIN and the destination station was KIN. Except for the required connections, there were no stoppers! Most of this trip was completed using AGR points.

I departed from KIN on #190 headed to BOS. #190 was on time, and since I had no bags to check, I rode to BOS (South Station) instead of the suggested BBY (Back Bay).

#190 arrived into BOS early. I secured a Red Cap to hold my bags while I was at the station, and to allow for "pre-boarding". This was done using the Red Cap at 11:25 am, or about 30 minutes prior to departure.

Since I was riding on #449 to ALB (where I would "change" to #49), I rode coach BOS-ALB. It turned out this particular car was an Amfleet I. It didn't bother me since I was riding in this car "a short distance". But if I had to ride in this coach all the way to CHI, I would be mad! The other coach out of BOS was an Amfleet II.

For those who are not aware, an Amfleet I has a seat pitch much like on a domestic coach airline flight. By contrast, the seat pitch of an Amfleet II is comparable to International Business Class seats on a plane. In other words, night and day!

CSX was up to their "bad old self" within 90 minutes of departing BOS. Including slow orders to the end of the siding, #449 was in the hole for over 30 minutes waiting for an eastbound CSX freight!

Many passengers boarded #449 in SPG, with many seated in my coach. (Remember that it was an Amfleet I.) Many had destinations according to their seat checks to places like ERI, CLE, TOL and CHI. These are all overnight destinations!

#449 arrived in ALB around 5:30 pm, but would not be combined with #49 (arriving from NYP) and depart until after 7 pm. So I went into the station.

I had grown up in this vicinity, and had used ALB for years. Thus I know that this is the 3rd Amtrak station to serve ALB. This one is by a long margin the best of those 3 stations!

Another AU bum (er - I meant member) Jim Hudson, was going to meet me in SDY, but the conductor on his train (#64) informed him that due to possible freight interference, he should disembark #64 in UCA and wait for #49 there.

As it turns out, there was no freight interference. As #49 pulled away from the platform at ALB, we had to hold for another train to arrive. (This was due to a single track between ALB and SDY. 20 years ago, this was double tracked, but one was removed. Now NYS is paying $$$ to replace the 2nd track!)

The train that came in was ...... #64! Jim could have easily made it to SDY to join #49.

I kept our SCA (Sharon) apprised of Jim's situation. She informed me that she would meet him at the car door in UCA. She also asked me if I wanted to wait for him to have dinner. I said I'd wait.

Due to #49 running late, and worried the Dining Car may close, I went to dinner before UCA. Jim boarded and they were still serving, so he also joined me in the Dining Car.

After a good dinner, we retired to our room and had a good nights sleep.

Part 2

I awoke about 6:15 am as we were just arriving into TOL. #49 lost some time during the night and was now over 1 hour late. While the train was stopped, I walked to the Dining car (which was the next car) for breakfast. This also allowed me to "beat the rush" for breakfast.

Since breakfast is served on a "first come, first served" basis, early risers can usually be seated when they enter. Most passengers do not come to the Dining Car until after 7:30 am - and then a wait list is compiled, and you are called when a table is available.

#49 arrived into CHI about 10:15 am, just a little late due to the extra padding. We went to the Metropolitan Lounge to await our departure on #421. Since the temperature was 30°' a biting wind of 12 MPH, a wind chill below 20° and snowing, we decided to stay in. We ate lunch in the food court of Union Station.

#421 departed CHI on time. However, it took a different route to the first stop of Joliet. Jim said he thought part of that route is the route used by the City of New Orleans (CONO). Because I have not ridden the CONO, I must defer to Jim's knowledge of that portion of the route. Between Joliet and STL, we took the normal route.

We ate dinner before STL. The approach to STL was impressive, as always, with the skyline lit up. However, there was one disappointing feature. The Gateway Arch was not lit up!

There is a scheduled 40 minute stop in STL. Normally, I would take a "stretch break", but because it was 30° out and a long stop, I decided to stay aboard and take a shower while the train was standing still.

Part 3

Awoke in Texarkana. Because the station platform startles both states, one part of the train stops in TX while the remainder of the train stops in AR! Since our sleeper was at the front of the train, I awoke in Texas.

Due to a scheduled bustitution between Longview and Ft Worth, we had an early breakfast. It was an abbreviated service with an abbreviated menu.

The bustitution was totally disorganized, as most are. The difference is that this was scheduled and had been going on for days or weeks. So it should have been well organized. The best I can say is "Chinese Fire Drill"!

When #421 arrived in Longview, there were 3 buses waiting on the platform. They were situated with the door away from the train. On the train, we were told that those going to FTW and beyond to board the last bus (nearest the sleepers), since it will operate non-stop to FTW. The others will make intermediate stops.

So most people tried to board that non-stop bus. By the time we collected our carry on bars and left the sleeper, more than half of the bus was filled!

Before any Amtrak employees boarded, passengers kept boarding. Soon all seats were occupied, and a number of passengers were standing in the aisle. They made it clear that there would be no standees on the bus. So those people got off, and I assume boarded the other busses.

Prior to our departure, it was asked (by Amtrak) if the SLEEPER passengers received their boxed lunches prior to getting off! HUH? This was the first we heard about this. After some searching, the boxed lunches were discovered - not handed out of course!

The Amtrak employees ten handed out the boxed lunches to the SLEEPER passengers. After a few minutes, they returned and added out the SAME boxed lunches to ALL passengers! (I'm not trying to be "special", but many of the coach passengers would not even have bought lunch if they were on the train.)

"Soon" all the buses were loaded, and the bus left the platform, and went .................... about 300-400 feet - around to the front of the building. And then we stopped. They had "realized" that there was a handicapped person aboard the train and a wheelchair lift equipped bus was needed for transport. Because our bus was the last to depart from Longview, at first we were told that we had to disembark and wait for another bus to arrive.

The natives were not happy with this news!

After a few minutes discussion, our bus was released to travel to FTW. I personally do not know what happened to that passenger, but on the way out, I thought I saw a motor coach (bus) similar to ours headed towards the station. Perhaps that was the lift equipped bus.

I can not find any fault with our bus driver. Soon we were moving on I-20 at 75 MPH - the speed limit. He even stopped at a truck stop en-route for a smoke/fresh air/bathroom break.

The only "problem" was upon arrival at FTW, he was unsure where to go to let us off. At first, he pulled into and circled the ex-SF terminal next door to the new station. Eventually, he found the correct place to let us off.

We arrived at about 12:30 pm. Since the southbound/westbound train would not depart until 3:10 pm, some people with a lot of baggage wanted to day check their bags. As per Amtrak's policy, the cost was $4 per bag! Even with this situation, they would not ake any exceptions!

The northbound train #22 was turned to return south as #21/421. Train #21/421 departed FTW at 3:10:26 - a full 26 seconds late! Can't Amtrak EVER be on time?

Due to freight interference near Taylor, we were in the hole for over 1 hour. We finally arrived into AUS over 2 hours late! I said goodbye to Jim and thanked him for the continuing ticket! Since his was an AGR award ticket, and the "cost" (in points) is the same to AUS as it is to ELP, Jim made the award to ELP so I could use the ticket!

Just aftér departure from AUS (within a few miles), we were put into the hole for another hour. Due to being tired, I fell asleep about 10 pm - even before that freight came thru.

Part 4

After a restful night sleep at SAS in a bed that wasn't moving, I awoke just prior to Del Rio - abd discovered we were running late. However, because we were late, the crossing of the Pacos High Bridge was in daylight.

When passing thru the train, I discovered that most of the seats were occupied.

#1/421 stopped in Sanderson (normally a flag stop) to pick up 1 person leaving town. I wonder why they were leaving. Even the 100+ year old ex-SP station left town. (At least it's no longer standing.)

Arrived in Alpine (Jim's old stomping grounds) about 30 minutes down. We then proceeded to ELP, arriving just slightly late. The burrito lady moved from ABQ to ELP, and she was doing a very brisk business when she met the train.

Because there was only one more meal prior to  LA, I was provided the choice of remaining in my room on #421 or  move to a new room on #1. I chose to remain in the #421 sleeper. (For those unaware, trains #1 and #421 are combined and operate as one train west of SAS, with the #421 sleeper at the rear of the train and the #1 sleepers and the Dining Car at the front.)

Arrived early into Tucson. Thus due to the extra padding, the stop was over 1 hour long.

Shortly after departure, due to the late hour and the anticipated early arrival, I retired to sleep to enjoy my last night board the TE/SL.

Hey Dave, just wanted to let you know, when I rode the SL in 2011, we were on time and the Pecos River Bridge crossing was in daylight also. I also loved the rock cliffs that came very close to the train. The hills of West Texas were pretty nice as well.

Part 5

Arrived "early" in to LAX. Although the scheduled arrival is IIRC 5:15 am, most arrivals are about 4:30 an! However, this one was "early", as we arrived about 4:20 am!

The SCA (I wish I had gotten his name) was not even awake!! The "rule" is that sleeper passengers "can" occupy their rooms until 6:30 - but I never saw wording saying that they "NUST" occupy their rooms until 6:30! With akk the activity on the platform (coach passengers must disembark upon arrival) and with other trains coming and going, I don't see how anyone could continue sleeping anyway.

Since the SCA was not awake, passengers had to carry their own bags down the stairs to the door. As many of you know, I have a balance coordination problem. It wasn't easy for me to carry my 2 carry on bags and my walking stick, but it was possible. But for the couple in the H Room, that was a different story!

After many of the passengers disembarked, we flagged down a Red Cap. He assisted the couple in the H Room with their bags. After helping that couple, he saw a conductor on the platform and notified her of the situation. She went into the car and did not see, to be happy!

Before she cane back, I had left with the Red Cap so I don't know "the rest of the story"! This was one of the very few times I didn't tip the SCA, but I had no choice. There was no one to tip!

As per my practice of traveling for an extended period without stopping over, I had checked one bag of clean clothes to LAX, with the intention of switching my dirty clothes for my clean clothes and then checking my dirty clothes bag back home.

I went to the ”Parcel Room" (aka baggage claim at LAX) to retrieve my bag. I then took a seat in the beautiful waiting room to switch my clothes from 1 bag to the other. I then took that bag to the ticket counter to recheck it back to BOS.

Due to being very tired, I did not go to Phillippe's! (I know that's rules for dismissal from AU.) instead I stayed at LAX and had a great conversation with a Native American returning from AZ to OR.

I waited for the Traxx Lounge to open to recharge my iPhone and iPad. Also to get some free coffee and juice!

Soon it was time to board the CS. I again used a Red Cap. #14 departed right on time, with a PPC in the consist! However, by the time the conductor reached me to scan my ticker,and I got to the PPC, all 8 of the great swivel seats were taken. So I was forced to take one of the "bar seats" instead.

There was no wifi in the PPC. If there was, it wasn't listed as a choice.

I had lunch (and dinner) in the PPC. Lunch was great, with the ocean views as a background. Dinner had the salad served in a real glass bowk, the iced tea was served in a real glass - but the entree was served on a (plastic) Amplate!

I later discovered that the PPC did have wifi, but I could not connect to it.

It certainly sounds like an interesting trip (even though you traveled with Jim part of the way - LOL). Thanks for sharing.

Part 6

After a restful sleep, I went to breakfast in the PPC. #14 arrived into KFS early, so due to padding, the stop was over 1 hour long. That also meant I could eat on a non moving train.

Early in the crossing of the Cascades, there were only some patches of snow visible. However, once 14 crossed to the west side, there was deep snow by the tracks and heavy snow falling. I don't remember as many tunnels and snow sheds during prior crossings of the Cascades. Maybe they have recently been built.

I had told Michelle (the PPC attendant) that I was going to purchase some CS coffee mugs before I got off, either before or after the wine tasting. That was scheduled (per the listed schedule) between 2:45 and 3:30 pm. This was before the arrival into PDX. I know the PPC has to "earn it's keep", so I really wanted to make this purchase. I also realize Michelle had to have a lunch break.

However, since I am familiar with that area, once we passed Oregon City I knew we were getting close to PDX, so I returned to my room to pack for departure. After I had quickly done that, I returned to the PPC. Michelle had not yet returned, and of course the wine tasting had not begun.

I remained in the PPC until we crossed the Steel Bridge (that's the name of it!), 1/4 mile south of Union Station. Michelle still had not returned. Thus I could not make a purchase to sustain the PPC!

Still I would give high grades to Michelle!

I waited in the Metropolitan Lounge for the departure of #28. The wait was about 90 minutes or so.

Utilized a Red Cap to get out to the 28 sleeper, which is the very last car on 28. We left PDX on time. By the time the SCA (Rebecca) reached me, all the great seafood boxed dinners (which was salmon) were handed out. (Rebecca told me that they only loaded 5 seafood meals on 28!) So I chose the marinated chicken with orzo salad. It was great as always, but not as good as the salmon would have been!

Soon #28 reached Vancouver, WA and turned east. Thus my quick visit to the wrong (i meant left, I meant west) coast was over. (For now!)

Soon I went to sleep. Besides, it was dark, and who wants to see SPK anyway!

Part 7

I awoke in Idaho. Much more snow was in ID and MT. The area around Glacier NP was snow covered and beautiful. 28/8 even stopped at Essex (Isaac Walton Inn), which is normally only a flag stop. I could not tell if someone got on of off, but I did see the hotel van pull away from the platform.

Per the agreement of the 2830 car, the SCA of the 830 car and the conductor, I was allowed to change cars in Havre. I had a room on 2839 to WPT and a room room on 0830 from WPT. This allowed me to switch rooms on the long platform at Havre on the outside of the train from the very back of the train to near the front of the train.

Arrived into Williston 9 minutes late. Williston is ND oil country.

After dinner, I retired for the evening. Not much to see in ND.

How many sleeper passengers boarded in PDX, for whom they only had 5 salmon dinners?

I am waiting to read "the unbelievable!!!"

I think it was fairly full! But I really can't complain too much. I was in Roomette 10!
So salmon or the railfan window 3 feet from my room? Tough choice! :p
Yeah, that room is SWEET going along the Columbia River Gorge!!! As a matter of fact, I asked for it on this summer's trip to WGL!!!

Seems like there's Lots of Sleeping going on, Why on Earth would you be Tired after a Week on the Train? :giggle:

I'm with penny, waiting on the Edge of my Seat for the Good, the Bad and the Unbelievable! ;)

Now wait a minute! I resemble that! :angry: :p . :lol: Spokane is a beautiful city, though like most cities its beauty is a bit diminished at 1AM. See it during daylight and you'll want to come back again and again!
But only in Summer Right Jeff?? :giggle:

Now wait a minute! I resemble that! :angry: :p . :lol: Spokane is a beautiful city, though like most cities its beauty is a bit diminished at 1AM. See it during daylight and you'll want to come back again and again!
But only in Summer Right Jeff?? :giggle:
Well, I don't know. Winter in Spokane can be a bit iffy, but spring is fine, depending on which minute you're talking about ;) and summer and fall are great!

Part 8(a)

I awoke somewhere in northern MN. I then discovered that the circuit breaker (in the sleeping car) tripped during the night. This controls the in-room outlets. Thus my cell pone (and thus my alarm) ran out of juice during the night!

I was still early enough to get to breakfast early enough to beat the rush.

Upon my return, #8 pulled into MSP about 30 minutes down. During the stop, I went to take a shower only to find ............... cold water! (And no,I didn't need a cold shower!) the SCA later told me that the water lines from and thus there was no hot water.

#8 continued down to CHI and also reduced the padded stop at MKE. We arrived into CHI about 4 pm, just slightly late.

(Now the good, bad, ugly and unbelievable part begins!)

I went to the Metropolitan Lounge to wait for #50 (the Cardinal). Check in was quick and uneventful. Because I had only about 90 minutes between trains, and I found a luggage cart on the platform, I did not leave my bags in the baggage room.

Before I even found a seat my cell phone rang! It was a robocall from Amtrak. It notified me that "... part or all of my trio (on 50) may involve alternate transportation ..." due to track work, and to call 1-877-xxx-xxxx for more information. Nothing of this sort was told to me when I checked into the ML 2 minutes earlier! I also knew "alternate transportation" is Amspeak for "bustitution"!

Since I was at CHI, instead of calling and wasting cell phone minutes, I walked a few hundred feet to the Amtrak Passenger Services office. I spoke with Linda, who was VERY helpful!

She also was unaware of the reason. She determined (via her computer) that the reason was due to track work between Huntington and CVS. That section is the Buckingham Branch RR.

#50 would operate from CHI to Huntington, where it would be turned to return to CHI as #51. Between Huntington and CVS, there would be a 7.5+ HOUR bus bridge! Then you would re board a train for the continuation of your trip.

Linda agreed that it wasn't in my best interest to have a 2nd bustitution on this trip. And not one that was 7.5+ hours long! So she tried to get e on #30, but there was a slight problem. She saw on my reservation that on #50 I had a Roomette. The only rooms available on #30 were bedrooms!

With the approval of someone she spoke with over the phone (I believe at AGR), I was upgraded from Roomette 6 on #50 to Bedroom B on #30! Linda then instructed me to go to the ticket windows to be reticketed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back