Around the US in 9 days

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 6

I remained in the PPC until we crossed the Steel Bridge (that's the name of it!), 1/4 mile south of Union Station. Michelle still had not returned. Thus I could not make a purchase to sustain the PPC!

Still I would give high grades to Michelle!

I waited in the Metropolitan Lounge for the departure of #28. The wait was about 90 minutes or so.
I thought that CS memorabilia was also sold in the shops or at one of the ticket counter areas inside the PDX station?

Part 8(a)

I awoke somewhere in northern MN. I then discovered that the circuit breaker (in the sleeping car) tripped during the night. This controls the in-room outlets. Thus my cell pone (and thus my alarm) ran out of juice during the night!
Best to turn off the wifi in your smart phone while traveling overnight on trains or when they will be in remote areas for long periods of time. Otherwise, your smart phone will use a lot of battery constantly searching for a wifi signal.

I'll try to get to it as soon as I can, but there may be a delay. I found out that a portion of Chez Traveler is moving to a new secret location beginning this weekend. But it will be a slow move (just like Amtrak :giggle: ) and there may be some down time to make up write some fiction truth! (Actually, as the saying goes, "Truth is stranger then fiction"! I couldn't make up a stranger story! :wacko: )

Last edited by a moderator:
With the approval of someone she spoke with over the phone (I believe at AGR), I was upgraded from Roomette 6 on #50 to Bedroom B on #30! Linda then instructed me to go to the ticket windows to be reticketed.
I'm taking odds that when you got to the window, the computer wouldn't let the agent reticket you.

Cliffhanger teaser, no and yes!

I'm still in the process of being relocated to a secret location (NOT via the Penthouse Suite, that would be too noticeable - I'm only using a stretch limo :giggle: ), but I may have time to finish soon!

Awoke in Texarkana. Because the station platform startles both states . . .
Yes, those state-startling station platforms can wake you up. :D

I remained in the PPC until we crossed the Steel Bridge (that's the name of it!) . . .
Well, it's made out of steel. What else would they call it?

The Steel Bridge in Portland is a double-deck vertical-lift bridge on which the lower (railroad) deck can be raised while sailboats and the like pass underneath without impeding motor-vehicular and light-rail traffic on the upper deck. However, if very large vessels come in (such as navy ships for the Rose Festival), both decks can be raised.

I remained in the PPC until we crossed the Steel Bridge (that's the name of it!) . . .
Well, it's made out of steel. What else would they call it?

The Steel Bridge in Portland is a double-deck vertical-lift bridge on which the lower (railroad) deck can be raised while sailboats and the like pass underneath without impeding motor-vehicular and light-rail traffic on the upper deck. However, if very large vessels come in (such as navy ships for the Rose Festival), both decks can be raised.
Well you never can be sure! :wacko: Just south of PVD the tracks go under I-95. That bridge is also made of steel, but the bridge is called "The Brown and Orange Bridge" - and it's neither brown or orange! :giggle:

Only a stretch limo, I am disappointed Dave :p

I hope you are doing well, and take your time finishing the report, we can be patient right everyone? *crickets*

I tried :D

I have been relocated under the AU Witness Protection Program (mostly), so I can continue as time permits.

Part 8(b)

The first agent I was called to (I wish I got her name - position #12 about 4:30 pm on 3/7) would not reissue the ticket, because it was an AGR award ticket. She told me that I must MYSELF contact AGR to get this corrected. It did not matter when i replied that i had just spoken to Linda and was told to come over to the ticket window to be re-ticked! (BTW : It is just across the concourse, under 100 feet away!) She then dismissed me!

Because I was so close to the ML, I decided to return there to sit down comfortably to call AGR on my cell phone. While returning to the ML, I passed Linda who asked me if I was all set. I explained what happened.

Linda was mad at agent #12, and told me to follow her back to the ticket windows. At first, she was going to go back to the same agent, but on the way down the line to position #12, she passed an available agent at position #6 (I believe), Kishi, who was VERY helpful!

It was determined that AGR did not make a notation on the PNR that authorized the re issuance of the ticket. Kishi spent much time on the phone and waiting on the computer with me remaining at her position, to get this ticket reissued. A couple of times during this period, Linda returned to check on the progress! Finally, all was set, and Kishi reissued the ticket.

Between Linda and Kishi, these 2 spent well over 1 and 1/2 hours assisting me with my problem! They are 2 of the best employees that I have ever met and dealt with! I wish Amtrak had more caring and helpful employees like these two!

I want to publicly commend and thank them! (A letter will be sent to Amtrak to be placed in their employee files!)

#30 departed on time, and the bedroom was GREAT! For those of you wondering about e-tickets, when the conductor came by to scan the tickets I was relaxing on the couch and the curtain was closed. It took me a little time to realize the knock was for me. The conductor called me by name (from his scanning device) - even though I was only reissued the ticket for #30 about 15 minutes before!

Although the car number was 3002, it was located right next to the Dining Car!

The dinner service was very unprofessional from the server! This was one of the earlier meal times also. Thus I doubt that she was "tired" from working too hard.

Near the start of dinner, the train hit a hard switch/bump and I spilled my iced tea. It went all over the table, onto my seat and pants and also on the floor. I used my napkin to wipe it up as best that I could. One of my tablemates also gave me his napkin to use for the clean-up. At that time, I asked for bottled water instead, and 2 napkins to replace the wet napkins.

I never received either one!

After we had finished our meals, the wait for the server to take our desert orders was so long that the other 3 at the table finally gave up and left! Because this was my last meal on this trip with desert, I remained. However, it still was a long time before the server came.

Due to the earlier seating (with many more to follow) I decided to give up the table ASAP for other diners. So I requested a bottle of water and cheesecake with topping to go. I would eat it in my room.

They were both delivered semi-quickly. I returned to my room. But there was a problem. There was no fork (or other utensil) to eat with! Luckily the topping was in a separate container. I had to use my hands to eat me cheesecake. (The topping I had no choice but to throw out.)

I'm very glad bedrooms have their own in room sink and towels!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Dave, Im sorry that you had such a rough time with the diner service.

I hope to meet Kishi and Linda next time I go through Chicago, they sound like awesome staff members.

I have been relocated under the AU Witness Protection Program (mostly), so I can continue as time permits.

Part 8(b)

The first agent I was called to (I wish I got her name - position #12 about 4:30 pm on 3/7) would not reissue the ticket, because it was an AGR award ticket. She told me that I must MYSELF contact AGR to get this corrected. It did not matter when i replied that i had just spoken to Linda and was told to come over to the ticket window to be re-ticked! (BTW : It is just across the concourse, under 100 feet away!) She then dismissed me!

Because I was so close to the ML, I decided to return there to sit down comfortably to call AGR on my cell phone. While returning to the ML, I passed Linda who asked me if I was all set. I explained what happened.

Linda was mad at agent #12, and told me to follow her back to the ticket windows. At first, she was going to go back to the same agent, but on the way down the line to position #12, she passed an available agent at position #6 (I believe), Kishi, who was VERY helpful!

It was determined that AGR did not make a notation on the PNR that authorized the re issuance of the ticket. Kishi spent much time on the phone and waiting on the computer with me remaining at her position, to get this ticket reissued. A couple of times during this period, Linda returned to check on the progress! Finally, all was set, and Kishi reissued the ticket.

Between Linda and Kishi, these 2 spent well over 1 and 1/2 hours assisting me with my problem! They are 2 of the best employees that I have ever met and dealt with! I wish Amtrak had more caring and helpful employees like these two!

I want to publicly commend and thank them! (A letter will be sent to Amtrak to be placed in their employee files!)

#30 departed on time, and the bedroom was GREAT! For those of you wondering about e-tickets, when the conductor came by to scan the tickets I was relaxing on the couch and the curtain was closed. It took me a little time to realize the knock was for me. The conductor called me by name (from his scanning device) - even though I was only reissued the ticket for #30 about 15 minutes before!

Although the car number was 3002, it was located right next to the Dining Car!

The dinner service was very unprofessional from the server! This was one of the earlier meal times also. Thus I doubt that she was "tired" from working too hard.

Near the start of dinner, the train hit a hard switch/bump and I spilled my iced tea. It went all over the table, onto my seat and pants and also on the floor. I used my napkin to wipe it up as best that I could. One of my tablemates also gave me his napkin to use for the clean-up. At that time, I asked for bottled water instead, and 2 napkins to replace the wet napkins.

I never received either one!

After we had finished our meals, the wait for the server to take our desert orders was so long that the other 3 at the table finally gave up and left! Because this was my last meal on this trip with desert, I remained. However, it still was a long time before the server came.

Due to the earlier seating (with many more to follow) I decided to give up the table ASAP for other diners. So I requested a bottle of water and cheesecake with topping to go. I would eat it in my room.

They were both delivered semi-quickly. I returned to my room. But there was a problem. There was no fork (or other utensil) to eat with! Luckily the topping was in a separate container. I had to use my hands to eat me cheesecake. (The topping I had no choice but to throw out.)

I'm very glad bedrooms have their own in room sink and towels!
How did humans eat topping before utensils? With their fingers! Or just lick the container! No one would have seen you in the bedroom penthouse! What a shame to lose the topping! :giggle:

I hope your relocation is going well. Sorry to hear you did not have good servers on the CL - but you DID have a bedroom, which sort of makes up for bad service in the diner.

I am still at the edge of my seat waiting to hear if you ever made it back to Rhode Island. :giggle:

Part 9

During the night, I woke up twice on my own. I'm not sure where, but I guess CLE and ALC. Ohio never looked better!

Just before Connellsville, #30 was put in the hole for 3 (THREE) freights! This was over 1 hour in length. Oh yeah, this was within a few miles of the Connellsville stop! (Which I believe is double tracked BTW.) We pulled into Connellsville over 2 hours late. During the next 30 minutes, I heard (on the opposite side of the train) 3 more freights pass by. Luckily we were still moving at the time.

At breakfast, one of my tablemates was on the previous #50. He said that when they arrived at Huntington (note the city is the same as the day before), they were annulled. They returned to CHI as #51. However, due to #51's scheduled departure time, they remained in Huntington for 16 hours!

This brings up 2 questions (at least). If #50 returned to CHI as #51, what was done with the original #51 passengers west of Huntington? (The Cardinal only operates 3 times a week and is usually nearly full, if not sold out,) Also if Amtrak knew about this situation, why was I not notified of it (by robocall) until less than 2 hours before the departure of #50 AND after I had already checked into the ML?

There was much construction on Sand Patch Hill. The conductor kept the passengers informed of the reasons for the delays. He also warned us that it will not improve.

#30 arrived into Cumberland about 2:15 late.

Due to the late train, breakfast ended about 9:30 am so the Dining Car Crew could prepare to serve lunch. (Normally #30 serves both meals continuously between 6:30 and 10:30.) However, the lunch service was unprofessional also.

I ordered a cheeseburger, my tablemate ordered soup & salad and her son ordered chicken nuggets. She received her salad and a dressing (take or leave it - no choice of dressing). However, she did not receive a fork to eat it with for over 30 minutes! And this was despite asking several times. In fact a spoon was brought for her soup (before it was delivered), but still no fork.

Our food was delivered about 45 minutes later, after most of the car had emptied. No apology was made.

My cheeseburger's roll was offset so condiments could be added as desired. But no condiments were offered at all! The kid at the table (as said) had chicken nuggets. Again, no condiments were offered to him either!

This was the family's first train trip. Luckily they shared the table with me, because I explained that this ("service") is not the norm on Amtrak trains. If they weren't seated with me, they may say "Never will I take Amtrak again!" And I personally would not blame them!

Departed Martinsburg over 2:30 late. However, due to continued SSLLOOWW orders, we arrived in Harper's Ferry over 3:45 late! But due to excessive padding, #30 arrived into WAS "only" 2:15 late. However, many missed their connections.

I waited for #66 in the CA, which was packed. This was due to a combination of ush hour, a Friday afternoon and the "get out of town for the weekend" crowd.

#66 was oversold (I think due to late arriving trains) and some passengers had to stand. Luckily, I was in BC and got a seat. In fact one of the 1 side of the 2x1 seats!

The conductor on 66 from WAS to NYP announced EVERY stop over the PA. (This was between 10 pm and 2 am.) The conductor from NYP to BOS did not, except after PVD. This was more then acceptable and very much appreciated.

Part 9.1

#66 arrived into KIN bright and ugly at 6:17 am. Because I had checked a bag to BOS, I continued to BOS. (Besides I wanted more train time!) 66 arrived into BOS early at 7:42 am. (RTE and BBY are both "D" stops.)

#66 delivers checked baggage right from the baggage car at South Station. But it was not aboard, so I had to go to the baggage claim office, it came in the night before on #448 from CHI.

I left my bags with the Red Cap (to allow for early boarding). Mike (the Red Cap) asked me "Didn't you go out on #449 last week?" That small statement earned him an extra tip!

#161 departed right on time at 9:40 am. It was announced over the PA that 161 was "very full".

Due to track work near Quonset Point (RI) that shut down one track, 161 arrived KIN about 15 minutes late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back