Article about a senior's LD trips in coach during the pandemic

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice article. Rita Carol Brooks has a Facebook group called Seasoned Seniors Riding the Rails with more than 700 members. Check it out.

Just get out once in a while! Be safe but, get out!

As for my retired wife and myself, we have gone out on extended trips couple of times in the past year. "Cabin Fever", as its called, needed to be cured!

Last October it was six trains to Alexandria, VA and return to Los Angeles to spend a week with family in Southern Maryland. Three weeks total on trains, taxis, hotels and various restaurants.
This past August we were out for four weeks. LA to Minneapolis by train. A two week long Mississippi River cruise down to New Orleans and another train back to LA. Another couple from that cruise were with us on the Sunset Limited...two bedrooms down the hall!

No regrets.

Last edited:
Nice article. It's amusing they think Amtrak's coach is expensive, when it's the cheapest way to travel except for the bus. But it's a matter of perspective - if you are on a small fixed income, any travel at all is expensive. Good for her setting herself as a priority.
Amtrak isn't always the cheapest way to travel and the author's point is valid. A typical flight from LAX to O'Hare is about $97. The TE or SWC runs $146 in coach.

O.P. thanks for bring this wonderful and inspiring article to our attention. It would be nice if Rita Carol Brooks would join AU and share her experiences with the rest of us “seasoned citizens.”

Eric & Pat
I see I contacted her last December via Facebook Messenger and provided the link to AU. Did it again.

This past August we were out for four weeks. LA to Minneapolis by train. A two week long Mississippi River cruise down to New Orleans................

Oh, man, THAT sounds fun. It's expensive, though, as I recall. More than a 10-day Caribbean cruise. But we've got family in Mississippi, we'd love to do one of those riverboats.

Back