Ashland Model Train Club Amtrak Trip on 449,3, 6. & 448

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Railroad Bill

Buckeye Train Watcher
AU Supporting Member
I just returned from our Ashland Model RR & Railfanning Amtrak Group Tour to Chicago, Fort Madison Iowa, La Plata Missouri and Ottumwa, Iowa trip. 14 of our members and spouses rode Amtrak Lake Shore Limited, Southwest Chief and California Zephyr on an excursion to see some prime train watching sites in the Midwest.
After an uneventful Business Class trip on the LSL 449, we enjoyed some time in Chicago Union Station before boarding SWC 3 to Fort Madison Iowa on the Mississippi River. Our conductor in Chicago made arrangements for our large group to sit together in coach. A stop in Galesburg allowed for some photos of the station and steam engine and then we were off across sw Illinois.

After crossing the giant two level swing bridge we arrived at the newly refurbed Santa Fe Depot and were met by the manager of the Kingsley Inn Hotel who provided transportation of our group to the hotel just two blocks from the station. Nearly 80 trains per day pass by the town and thus our group was thrilled to experience both train and riverboat traffic during our stay.
We occupied nine rooms in the fabulous historic inn with many rooms overlooking the rail lines and bridge. The building was constructed in the 1860s and after many transitions became a hotel with antique furnishings throughout, several classic meeting rooms and grand hospitality by manager Chi and her friendly and efficient staff.
Our trip took a negative turn when I was notified that our Southwest Chief trains for that evening and all subsequent trips were cancelled due to a bridge fire in Colorado. After numerous calls to Amtrak we were left to find our own transportation to our next stop La Plata, Missouri. One of the agents refused to allow me to discuss our cancelled trips with a supervisor. "That is not a supervisor issue" Really. She was providing incorrect information and said it was not her problem that we were stuck in Ft Madison. As most of you know I am generally pretty mellow, but her incompetence in providing information was a trying conversation. The next agent was very helpful and made new reservations on 6 in Ottumwa to get us back to Chicago. More to the story later.
Our hotel manager came to the rescue and secured a 16 passenger van to take us on a two hour ride to La Plata. We arrived at the Depot Inn & Suites hotel to find the manager awaiting our group. We had many rooms with railroad motifs, photos and tons of memorabilia in the many hallways. There was also a large indoor swimming pool, golf cart and bicycles for local transport, a great Mexican restaurant next door and of course, railfan viewing platforms along the tracks and a nice little Amtrak station with a museum inside.
We spent two days at Depot Inn and enjoyed fellowship, food and some Euchre playing in the large lobby. A nice breakfast each morning and some pizza one evening. A great place to stay with a staff that met our every need.

Our next dilemma was how we would get back to Chicago with our SWC 4 being cancelled. Our hotel manager made contact with a man who transported the local Amish community around the country and he agreed to take us 80 miles to Ottumwa, Iowa where I made new reservations to ride Amtrak California Zephyr 6 back to our connections in Chicago. After a harrowing trip involving hitting a deer on the highway we eventually made it to the station in Ottumwa. We arrived to find a station attendant who watched our bags while we went next door to a neat old building with a restaurant called Coal Palace Cafe. Great sandwiches and friendly staff who hire developmental disabled adults to work as cooks and servers. What a great opportunity to help some fine people.
We awaited our train to arrive 5 hours late after a snow storm in the Rockies slowed its progress. The new conductor made arrangements for us to sit near each other in the rear coach and we had a nice ride to Chicago. Only two hours to wait until our Lake Shore Business Class car took us back to Cleveland.
Everyone enjoyed our adventures and although it was a bit stressful for me getting our new transportation arrangements, everything worked out and WOW! Fun Times on Amtrak
I will post some photos of our trip as they are organized.
And now Claudia & I are heading to Seattle in a few weeks for our Alaska Cruise. Just turned 70 but have to keep moving....smiles

Attachments

• 20220422_073254.jpg
    20220422_073254.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220422_074445.jpg
    20220422_074445.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220422_174311.jpg
    20220422_174311.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220422_174356.jpg
    20220422_174356.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220422_174543.jpg
    20220422_174543.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220423_113205.jpg
    20220423_113205.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220422_072242.jpg
    20220422_072242.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220424_111642.jpg
    20220424_111642.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220424_153432.jpg
    20220424_153432.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220424_111938.jpg
    20220424_111938.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I just returned from our Ashland Model RR & Railfanning Amtrak Group Tour to Chicago, Fort Madison Iowa, La Plata Missouri and Ottumwa, Iowa trip. 14 of our members and spouses rode Amtrak Lake Shore Limited, Southwest Chief and California Zephyr on an excursion to see some prime train watching sites in the Midwest.
After an uneventful Business Class trip on the LSL 449, we enjoyed some time in Chicago Union Station before boarding SWC 3 to Fort Madison Iowa on the Mississippi River. Our conductor in Chicago made arrangements for our large group to set together in coach. A stop in Galesburg allowed for some photos of the station and steam engine and then we were off across sw Illinois.

After crossing the giant two level swing bridge we arrived at the newly refurbed Santa Fe Depot and were met by the manager of the Kingsley Inn Hotel who provided transportation of our group to the hotel just two blocks from the station. Nearly 80 trains per day pass by the town and thus our group was thrilled to experience both train and riverboat traffic during our stay.
We occupied nine rooms in the fabulous historic inn with many rooms overlooking the rail lines and bridge. The building was constructed in the 1860s and after many transitions became a hotel with antique furnishings throughout, several classic meeting rooms and grand hospitality by manager Chi and her friendly and efficient staff.
Our trip took a negative turn when I was notified that our Southwest Chief trains for that evening and all subsequent trips were cancelled due to a bridge fire in Colorado. After numerous calls to Amtrak we were left to find our own transportation to our next stop La Plata, Missouri. One of the agents refused to allow me to discuss our cancelled trips with a supervisor. "That is not a supervisor issue" Really. She was providing incorrect information and said it was not her problem that we were stuck in Ft Madison. As most of you know I am generally pretty mellow, but her incompetence in providing information was a trying conversation. The next agent was very helpful and made new reservations on 6 in Ottumwa to get us back to Chicago. More to the story later.
Our hotel manager came to the rescue and secured a 16 passenger van to take us on a two hour ride to La Plata. We arrived at the Depot Inn & Suites hotel to find the manager awaiting our group. We had many rooms with railroad motifs, photos and tons of memorabilia in the many hallways. There was also a large indoor swimming pool, golf cart and bicycles for local transport, a great Mexican restaurant next door and of course, railfan viewing platforms along the tracks and a nice little Amtrak station with a museum inside.
We spent two days at Depot Inn and enjoyed fellowship, food and some Euchre playing in the large lobby. A nice breakfast each morning and some pizza one evening. A great place to stay with a staff that met our every need.

Our next dilemma was how we would get back to Chicago with our SWC 4 being cancelled. Our hotel manager made contact with a man who transported the local Amish community around the country and he agreed to take us 80 miles to Ottumwa, Iowa where I made new reservations to ride Amtrak California Zephyr 6 back to our connections in Chicago. After a harrowing trip involving hitting a deer on the highway we eventually made it to the station in Ottumwa. We arrived to find a station attendant who watched our bags while we went next door to a neat old building with a restaurant called Coal Palace Cafe. Great sandwiches and friendly staff who hire developmental disabled adults to work as cooks and servers. What a great opportunity to help some fine people.
We awaited our train to arrive 5 hours late after a snow storm in the Rockies slowed its progress. The new conductor made arrangements for us to sit near each other in the rear coach and we had a nice ride to Chicago. Only two hours to wait until our Lake Shore Business Class car took us back to Cleveland.
Everyone enjoyed our adventures and although it was a bit stressful for me getting our new transportation arrangements, everything worked out and WOW! Fun Times on Amtrak
And now Claudia & I are heading to Seattle in a few weeks for our Alaska Cruise. Just turned 70 but have to keep moving....smiles
Nice trip Bill, as an Old Train Hand you knew what to do when reservations went haywire, but I'm wondering how a Newbie would have fared in yalls situations?

Look forward to your pics, your upcoming Alaska Advdnture and Best to Claudia!

PS- Thanks for the Longhorns new QB!😄

After an uneventful Business Class trip on the LSL 449, we enjoyed some time in Chicago Union Station before boarding SWC 3 to Fort Madison Iowa on the Mississippi River. Our conductor in Chicago made arrangements for our large group to set together in coach. A stop in Galesburg allowed for some photos of the station and steam engine and then we were off across sw Illinois.

Sounds like you had one bad apple with a bad attitude, but many more shining stars who made up for her in kindness and helpfulness.

I’m glad it was a good trip in general and that you and Claudia will enjoy a cruise next, where you don’t have to think about anything except watching wildlife in between the fancy meals. Wishing you both a wonderful time! 😊

Nice trip Bill, as an Old Train Hand you knew what to do when reservations went haywire, but I'm wondering how a Newbie would have fared in yalls situations?

Look forward to your pics, your upcoming Alaska Advdnture and Best to Claudia!

PS- Thanks for the Longhorns new QB!😄
Yes, if any other member of our group had been confronted with being told their trains were cancelled and "no alternative transportation is offered" , they would have been lost. And then when the agent said I could not talk to a supervisor.... and I was using the Select AGR #. But luckily she was not typical of my Amtrak agent experiences and the other two agents were very helpful.
Jim, we could send you Baker Mayfield if he still has any eligibility left :cool:

Attachments

• 20220424_165801.jpg
    20220424_165801.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220424_165816.jpg
    20220424_165816.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220425_102911.jpg
    20220425_102911.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220425_125950_001.jpg
    20220425_125950_001.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220425_132304.jpg
    20220425_132304.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220425_132337.jpg
    20220425_132337.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220425_132559.jpg
    20220425_132559.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220424_154517.jpg
    20220424_154517.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220424_152352.jpg
    20220424_152352.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220424_165852.jpg
    20220424_165852.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 3
Yes, if any other member of our group had been confronted with being told their trains were cancelled and "no alternative transportation is offered" , they would have been lost. And then when the agent said I could not talk to a supervisor.... and I was using the Select AGR #. But luckily she was not typical of my Amtrak agent experiences and the other two agents were very helpful.
Jim, we could send you Baker Mayfield if he still has any eligibility left :cool:
No thanks, we knew him when he was @ OU!🤪

Well take some Defensive Players though!😄

Back