Assorted Questions From a Vet

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer
Hey all, so as I am setting out on my first Amtrak trip since 2011 I wanted to make sure I had all my bases covered. I had a couple random questions that could help tie loose ends... I've been out of the loop so some things may have changed.

-Does the Penny still run with AF BC with the NEC seating (smaller than the coach class?)

-I have never been on the Carolinian, and my friend is contemplating a CLT-NYP run on the return trip... what equipment is used? Is BC worth the upgrade? Would you suggest the alternative train 20 with it's red-eye departure?

-Are there any things around the Charlotte Amtrak station to do? My friend and I will be arriving on 19 and have to kill a morning (and perhaps afternoon)

-Anything else like major policy changes I should know about? Seems like most everything is (sadly) the same though I've noticed a few improvements!

Safe travels!

Also do the frequencies on OTOL still work for scanners? I noticed a lot haven't been updated in awhile.

Hi, Sorry I can't answer your questions, but just wanted to say it is nice to see your tag on the board again... Last I recall, you were heading off into the wilderness on foot.. Be interesting to hear how that went?

Ed :cool:

I wouldn't call it "heading into the wilderness" as the Appalacian Trail isn't that much of a wilderness still I made it from Harpers Ferry 271 miles North towards the Delaware Water Gap, total 44 days and nights. Not bad for a sod who never hiked or camped a day in his life.

-I have never been on the Carolinian, and my friend is contemplating a CLT-NYP run on the return trip... what equipment is used? Is BC worth the upgrade? Would you suggest the alternative train 20 with it's red-eye departure?
-Are there any things around the Charlotte Amtrak station to do? My friend and I will be arriving on 19 and have to kill a morning (and perhaps afternoon)
I still have trouble remembering the equipment naming in spite of taking the Carolinian many times but:

As to business class, we have not tried it but plan to do so next time as my wife has become disgusted with the state of the bathrooms on the Carolinian. Absolutely awful and rarely if ever cleaned by staff. We're hoping BC will be better and if they are, we might do that in the future. No excuse for Amtrak's absolutely awful service standards. Management should be required to ride this train to CLT or NYP from halfway along while sitting in the bathrooms in their usually disgusting state.

As to the CLT station, nothing, not even restaurants. Take a bus to downtown.

If an amtrak Manager were to sit in the restroom of the carolinian from start to finish, it would stay immaculate because you wouldn't be using it. (You being the general ridership, not you specifically)

Pennsylvanian(and Palmetto) both run with Amfleet 1 BC, one Amfleet 1 Coach, and three Amfleet 2 coaches, so for the most part, coach is nicer than business.

Carolinian is all Amfleet 1 if I recall correctly, so BC is an improvement there.

I'll see if I can coax my friend into going coach on 20 instead of coach on 80, still BC on an AFI isn't too bad.

Guess we'll hang out in CLT until the morning and then figure out what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back