Atlanta and Charolletesville VA rental cars?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortline

Conductor
Trying to work in a paid train trip, but the logistics are becoming a bit of a nigtmare. Have to meet with people in Atlanta, and Richmond VA. Airfare from here to ATL and back alone, is over $1000, so I'm thinking of flying into Charolletesville, renting a car, doing my thing, and getting on the Crescent that night, getting into ATL the next morning, meeting with my people, then taking the Crescent BACK to Charolettesville to catch a plane back home. What is the station situation in Atlanta, and Charolletesville? Are there any on site rental car companies at either, or close? I guess I can always call Enterprise (the "We'll pick you up" people) but it would be great to have one on site! So whats the situation? Thanks!

Hertz explicitly lists the Atlanta Amtrak station as a pickup/dropoff location. However, you can't book online, and you have to call ahead of time, there is not an office there. You can find more info on the hertz website, however I can't link it due to their site's design.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hertz explicitly lists the Atlanta Amtrak station as a pickup/dropoff location. However, you can't book online, and you have to call ahead of time, there is not an office there. You can find more info on the hertz website, however I can't link it due to their site's design.

Perfect, thanks. I'll see what I can do through Hertz, or Enterprise. Marta won't work for me this trip, have to get off the train in the AM, do business in Marietta, and Douglassville, before going back to the station for the night departure. Wasn't thinking, don't need one at Charolettesville station, I'm arriving at the airport, will get one there, and leave it at the station while I'm off to Atlanta, then take it back to the airport. Looking forward to this, only done a few overnighters, and never on a viewliner. Last single level LD train I've taken was in a heritage sleeper from PGH-CHI in 92.

I am sure this has come up before on this forum but I am new. This is one of the biggest problems with Amtrak. Getting a rental car at a station.

I am sure this has come up before on this forum but I am new. This is one of the biggest problems with Amtrak. Getting a rental car at a station.
Shortline - AFAIK the only Charlottesville rental locations are at the airport. A cab from airport to Amtrak is <$30 each way (with tip). I realize this doesn't affect you but if any of the rental companies will pick up or drop off at the train station I'd sure like to hear about it.

Hertz has an office in the Rio Hill Shopping Center in Charlottesville, about 5 miles from the Amtrak station and much closer than the airport. The Hertz website says they offer pickup service, though no one was available to pick us up the last time we rented there.

Trying to work in a paid train trip, but the logistics are becoming a bit of a nigtmare. Have to meet with people in Atlanta, and Richmond VA. Airfare from here to ATL and back alone, is over $1000, so I'm thinking of flying into Charolletesville, renting a car, doing my thing, and getting on the Crescent that night, getting into ATL the next morning, meeting with my people, then taking the Crescent BACK to Charolettesville to catch a plane back home. What is the station situation in Atlanta, and Charolletesville? Are there any on site rental car companies at either, or close? I guess I can always call Enterprise (the "We'll pick you up" people) but it would be great to have one on site! So whats the situation? Thanks!
Enterprise does not have a rental location at the Atlanta station however there is one about two miles north of the station. Their address is 2151 PEACHTREE RD NE, ATLANTA, GA 30309-1343 Tel.: (404) 355-8242.

I have used them in the past and have been fully satisfied. They will pick you up at the station. Only drawback is they are closed on Sunday. Hours on M-F 8:00-6:00, Sat 9:00-2:00.

FOr the Atlanta end of your trip consider this; I make a similar trip about twice a year taking AMTRAK in to Atlanta picking up and dropping off a cars downtown. If you use Avis as I do you can pick up and drop off a car at their downtown location (143 Courtland St) which is easy to get to in less than 4 miles and about 10 minutes from the station by cab.

Ctim2

Just to throw an alternative, if you really really wanted to use an actual office, you might consider using Cobb County Transit. The route you'd use heading for Marietta runs no less than every 30 minutes throughout the day with service every 15 minutes in the morning and evening.

http://dot.cobbcountyga.gov/cct/route-schedules.htm

The route 10 CCT bus leaves from the Arts Center MARTA station which you can reach by taking the route 110 MARTA bus south from the Amtrak station. The route 10 CCT bus goes right up Cobb Parkway and past an Enterprise Rent-A-Car:

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do?gpbr=0303&bid=004&cnty=US

The CCT Bus stop appears to be less than 100 yards south of Enterprise, and you'd have to walk about the same distance north of Enterprise to an intersection to cross over to catch an Arts Center bound bus. There are several other rental places up Cobb Parkway, but none are close to an intersection to cross over for getting on or off the bus.

Sounds like my info was wrong or at least not relevant. I think what's going on is that, because I always do a one-way rental between Charlottesville and North Carolina, the rental companies will only let me pick up and drop off at the CHO airport. But if anyone knows different, please let me know.

there is an Enterprise at Pan Tops in Charlottesville. I have rented from them, but not related to Amtrak. You could give them a call, they are supposed to pick you up.

392 Pantops Center, Charlottesville, VA 22911

(434) 979-5566

Pantops area is a few miles away from the station, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back