Atlanta temporarily lost checked baggage service - now restored

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracktwentynine

OBS Chief
My parents are traveling from Atlanta to Washington and back over the Memorial Day weekend. They got a service alert from Amtrak indicating that for these trips, there would be no checked baggage service between Atlanta and Washington.

I called the Amtrak call center to ask if this was a permanent change and what the reason was. The agent I spoke to said she didn't know if it was permanent, but that it was due to a "change in the station hours". Well, the Amtrak station in Atlanta is only open for the Crescent anyway, and the Crescent's arrival and departure from Washington is during normal business hours, so I suspect this is a change affecting Atlanta.

Anybody know what's going on? Seems crazy to eliminate checked baggage service from Atlanta, which is one of the busiest stations on the Crescent.

More Amtrak Suits thumbing their Noses @ Congress after being forced to restaff Stations.

Other examples are taking Cars off Consists( Sightseer Lounges,Coaches,Transdorms,Bag Cars)and serving Overpriced Heat and Eat Unhealthy Food in the Diners and Cafes!🤬

More Amtrak Suits thumbing their Noses @ Congress after being forced to restaff Stations.

Other examples are taking Cars off Consists( Sightseer Lounges,Coaches,Transdorms,Bag Cars)and serving Overpriced Heat and Eat Unhealthy Food in the Diners and Cafes!🤬

Devil’s advocate here, or at minimum a potential alternate theory: are those cars being removed to reduce passenger interest, or are they being removed because of mechanical issues? It’s no secret that the Superliner fleet is getting up there in age, and things may have gotten to the point where Amtrak took older cars out of service as parts donors for the rest of the fleet. It’s not at all uncommon in the airline business, I figure Amtrak (with their limited budget) probably has done something similar with older equipment. Is anyone still making Super parts?

According to Arrow, checked baggage is available from NOL and BHM for the next few months, so it doesn't appear to a baggage car issue. In addition, checked baggage returns to ATL on 1 July according to Arrow.

So maybe it's a baggage handler contract issue, a fire ant infestation or the baggage room floor being repainted?

According to Arrow, checked baggage is available from NOL and BHM for the next few months, so it doesn't appear to a baggage car issue. In addition, checked baggage returns to ATL on 1 July according to Arrow.

So maybe it's a baggage handler contract issue, a fire ant infestation or the baggage room floor being repainted?
Whatever it is, a normal railroad would accommodate checked baggage to a large city with lots of ridership in the event the normal setup won’t be available for a month. This is absurd.

I do not find it strange that this announcement occurred just before the biggest holiday for the country in17 months. Congress in recess, all big wigs, out of town, state and local pols out as well.

Devil’s advocate here, or at minimum a potential alternate theory: are those cars being removed to reduce passenger interest, or are they being removed because of mechanical issues? It’s no secret that the Superliner fleet is getting up there in age, and things may have gotten to the point where Amtrak took older cars out of service as parts donors for the rest of the fleet. It’s not at all uncommon in the airline business, I figure Amtrak (with their limited budget) probably has done something similar with older equipment. Is anyone still making Super parts?

The Crescent doesn't use Superliner equipment. And all baggage cars in use now are less than 10 years old.

Who has the nerve to say Amtrak's cutbacks are deliberate? Where would I get that idea from?

Pffftt!

Can't be ant infestation but that might be a good excuse for them to close the building completely and just have a platform.

It must be that the baggage room has to be painted but, if I remember right, they don't have one so they'll probably blame it on having to paint it.

Hope they are not reading this thread. Too many ideas they probably haven't thought of.

Thank you for the update. It would have been helpful for the Amtrak person I spoke to to have had that information.

My dad is very pissed that he can't check his bag. He's angry at Amtrak about it.

The Crescent doesn't use Superliner equipment. And all baggage cars in use now are less than 10 years old.

Im not talking about baggage cars or the Crescent. The person I was quoting was talking about Superliner equipment.

The station information for ATL says no checked baggage service now. It does not say it is temporary.

The Crescent itself still shows checked baggage service on the terrible new schedule feature.

Nothing about Atlanta in station advisories.

🙁

Reactions: Cal
Atlanta station staffing hours are still showing 6 am to 9 am and 6 pm to 9 pm, which is fine on Memorial Day, but wouldn't work for the new schedule on 6/6. I expect that they'll shift when the new schedule goes into effect, unless Amtrak really is pulling an Espee.

In any case, it isn't station hours. My completely unfounded speculation is the elevator crapped out.

In any case, it isn't station hours. My completely unfounded speculation is the elevator crapped out.
There is an alternative that they could use but it might involve a little work. There is a gate in the fence that faces Deering Rd. They could run a cart from the station entrance and go A1.pngdown the sidewalk on Deering to the gate which is at track level, then go through that way. The only problem is they have to cross one of the tracks (not sure if it is in use) to get to the platform.

I'm not sure that narrow sidewalk down a hill that I remember being a lot steeper than it looks here (and then as you mention across a track using ??? is the best backup plan.

1622210694431.png

Reactions: Cal
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back