Atlantic Coast Service discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are booked in a bedroom on the Silver Meteor north bound, train car 9811, room B. How can I determine if this is one of the new Viewliners? And if it is not how can I change it?

Thanks!
the "normal" consist currently is the 10 cars on the Silvers are old Viewliners and the 11 cars are new viewliners. However, when there were 3 sleepers on the Silver Meteor, the 11 car was an old Viewliner. There is really no way to be sure until you board the train, since things can change.

I usually travel in Bedroom B on the Silvers. The new cars have advantages and the old cars have advantages. My next trip is in 9810 B and it likely will be an old car, but maybe not. I do not plan to try to change.

the "normal" consist currently is the 10 cars on the Silvers are old Viewliners and the 11 cars are new viewliners. However, when there were 3 sleepers on the Silver Meteor, the 11 car was an old Viewliner. There is really no way to be sure until you board the train, since things can change.

I usually travel in Bedroom B on the Silvers. The new cars have advantages and the old cars have advantages. My next trip is in 9810 B and it likely will be an old car, but maybe not. I do not plan to try to change.
Thanks for your perspective. I think we will go with the reservation we have.

Any information on when all the V1's will be replaced with the V2's?

Any information on when all the V1's will be replaced with the V2's?
As far as I know there are no plans to take V1's out of service now that V2's are available. The V2's were a supplement to the V1s not a replacement. We will likely have both cars for some time to come.

For the last few days, I have heard the horns for the Silvers as they passed through Orlando (near my home). Orlando is normally a quiet zone and I was very happy to hear the horns, but was curious as to why. There is some construction on Orange Avenue near one of the crossing, so that may be the cause. If anyone has been on a Silver in the last few days, do you recall hearing the horn throughout Orlando?

Yesterday, I saw and heard 97(15) pass through Orlando, and both sleepers were V1s.

I plan on taking another Amtrak possibly in December. The overnight portion of the trip will be on the 91 and 92 Silver Star in a roomette. I prefer roomettes on the lower floor for overnight trips. I've done both lower and upper floor trips and sleep better on the first floor. I'm flexible with my dates and am willing to book ahead.

What's the room layout for the Silver Star (from VA to FL) like? Is the sleeper car one floor or two?

I found the following diagrams at:
Amtrak Car Diagrams @ CraigMashburn.com

Is the difference between between 2-floor layout and 1-floor layout just Superliner vs Single Level? Is the Silver Star a single level sleeper car?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I plan on taking another Amtrak possibly in December. The overnight portion of the trip will be on the 91 and 92 Silver Star in a roomette. I prefer roomettes on the lower floor for overnight trips. I've done both lower and upper floor trips and sleep better on the first floor. I'm flexible with my dates and am willing to book ahead.

What's the room layout for the Silver Star (from VA to FL) like? Is the sleeper car one floor or two?

I found the following diagrams at:
Amtrak Car Diagrams @ CraigMashburn.com

Is the difference between between 2-floor layout and 1-floor layout just Superliner vs Single Level? Is the Silver Star a single level sleeper car?

Thanks in advance for any help.
The Silver Star and Silver Meteor have one level sleepers - Viewliners.

Question for those of you who have used Amtrak intra-Florida. I'm planning a January trip to visit friends in both Tampa and Jacksonville. Flying to TPA, then flying home from JAX. I'm planning on using the Star to get from Tampa to Jacksonville because it costs $22 vs. renting a car which will cost over $600. My question is how reliable is the northbound Star inside Florida? Is it usually on time?

Question for those of you who have used Amtrak intra-Florida. I'm planning a January trip to visit friends in both Tampa and Jacksonville. Flying to TPA, then flying home from JAX. I'm planning on using the Star to get from Tampa to Jacksonville because it costs $22 vs. renting a car which will cost over $600. My question is how reliable is the northbound Star inside Florida? Is it usually on time?
I have been on the Silver Star numerous times. In my experience, it is more or less on time (within 30 minutes) more often than late, but I have been on it when it has been hours late. There can be signal issues, there can be accidents that delay the train for hours, etc. There are countless reasons a train can be delayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back