Atlantic Coast Service discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the Amtrak website for trips from Chicago to Tampa on random dates over the next few months, and I noticed something odd: the Silver Star seems to run into Tampa from Washington, but the return trips all involve a bus from Tampa. 🤔 For the dates I checked (which were by no means comprehensive), two-segment all-rail is an option Chicago-Tampa but only mixed service with at least three segments are the options Tampa-Chicago.

Am I misreading this, or is Tampa the "roach motel" for Silver Stars, with trains coming in but not going out? ;)

The connection from the CL to SS in Washington is available southbound but not northbound. That is presumably because of a shorter connection time northbound and a higher chance of delays on the SS. I have made the connection from 92 to 29 by booking separate tickets, but it's risky and often gets missed.

The southbound trip uses the Star to go from Washington to Tampa while the northbound uses the Meteor from Orlando to Washington to make the connection time - since the Meteor does not go to Tampa, the bus is needed for the northbound trip to get from Tampa to Orlando

At least from Tampa to Chicago there is an option. From Raleigh there is only the convoluted Raleigh - Greensboro on 79, Greensboro - Washington on 20 and then Washington - Chicago on 29, with a 12 hour layover in Greensboro. This is according to Amtrak's reservation system.

I've long thought the Star timing needs to be tweaked with some to make things a bit easier for going to No. 29 but also in reference to the other cities that only have the Star IE my home town in Columbia. But lets factor in NC/VA bought the former Seaboard if that could cut 45 minutes or even an hour from the timetable that would help the connection with No. 29. But at the same time you could tweak the schedule to get Columbia at a decent time without changing the NY arrival to steer clear of rush hour in New York.

I also think we need to go back to think about routing the Meteor via Tampa too strictly because Brightline is going to kill the inner Florida traffic off those trains. Why take Amtrak which is many hours late and slower, when Brightline is frequent and mostly on time. So it is something to think about.

Can you book a Bedroom on the Silver Service for 1 adult and 2 children ages 9 and 7?

Can you book a Bedroom on the Silver Service for 1 adult and 2 children ages 9 and 7?
I have copied this from an "older" post from our resident "expert" on this topic @Ryan

Based on Chart 2, the answer appears to be yes. My guess is that you would have to speak to an agent to book this.

1672520052595.png

Not Superliner related but I spotted that 98 Meteor at Ashland today had a 12 sleeper as well. Order was 10 V2 11 V1 12 V2. Going to watch Folkston Ga in a bit to see if todays 98 also does.

Not Superliner related but I spotted that 98 Meteor at Ashland today had a 12 sleeper as well. Order was 10 V2 11 V1 12 V2. Going to watch Folkston Ga in a bit to see if todays 98 also does.
Yep, I caught 98 in Delaware this morning with the 3 sleepers.

I think today's 98 out of Miami is the Palm Beach Safety Patrol special. Made no stops after leaving Miami except it stopped for a while at Mangonia point Tri Rail station and train is blocked as sold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back