Atlantic Coast Service discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, and Amtrak also used to do three trains/day NYP-Florida with some mix of splits and so on.

I'd argue that Amtrak, at a minimum, has no excuse for not having the 12 sleeper in regular play on the Meteor or the Star (I'd argue they should have it on both). They have 75 Viewliner sleepers and only 17 sets to use them on. Three sleepers on each would "only" be 51; add in three (for the Boston LSL) and that's 54. 21 spare/shop is way more than enough to cover (I think that number "should" be closer to 15).
The Meteor has been running with 3 sleepers since last week. Back to the pre-pandemic consist: VL II, VL I, VL II.

Not that it makes any difference to your completely valid argument that the fleet is woefully underutilized, there are only 74 sleepers on the roster. One Viewliner I Sleeper was stricken from the roster after Cayce, SC.
Noted. I had forgotten that, but you're right that it doesn't fundamentally alter the underlying math (it would only really matter in a near-full utilization scenario where we were talking about the ability to "slip one more car on train X or Y", and then we'd probably be talking about periodic mobilization vs full-time mobilization for a few cars' worth of capacity).

According to @AmtrakAlerts 97(9) and 98(9) are diverting via the S Line (Columbia, Raleigh) due to CSX freight derailment on the A Line. Presumably 52(9) and 53(9) are also diverting via the S Line.

89(10) will terminate at WAS and 90(10) will originate at WAS.

According to @AmtrakAlerts 97(9) and 98(9) are diverting via the S Line (Columbia, Raleigh) due to CSX freight derailment on the A Line. Presumably 52(9) and 53(9) are also diverting via the S Line.

89(10) will terminate at WAS and 90(10) will originate at WAS.
Yes, the auto trains also diverted. 98 had to back up to SAV and they added it to 92, so there’s a super train heading up on the s-line.

Edit: And now I’ve heard they’re adding freight engines to the auto trains because they can’t handle the hills on the s-line.

Last edited:
I guess that explains the long night of stops and starts (mostly stops) in NC. Currently on 97(9) sitting at the CSX facility outside of Hamlet waiting for...new crew, clear track, something? Guess it's gonna be a long time before I get to Orlando today! Hopefully some more information will be passed along as everyone wakes up, but it's not looking like a good day to have plans.

Edit: after speaking with our (most excellent) SCA, we are awaiting a new crew and then (hopefully) back on our way with significant delays). She said someone tried to beat a train at a crossing, therefore here we are.

Last edited:
Latest update from the conductor is that the crew from the combined 92/98(9) will be taking over 97(9) once they arrive in Hamlet. They aren't expected to arrive here for another 90 minutes.

Edit: Train 52(9) just came through Hamlet at 8:55AM and we are rolling forward, but I'm guessing we are not going to go far if we are waiting for 92/98.

Last edited:
View attachment 31009

Looks like the auto train got axed. Must be due to the hills on the S-line as well as the derailment.
The Auto Trains of the 9th diverted via the S Line and are arriving very late at their destinations. That is what is causing the cancellation of the Auto Trains of the 10th. very late arrival of equipment.

Edit: after speaking with our (most excellent) SCA, we are awaiting a new crew and then (hopefully) back on our way with significant delays). She said someone tried to beat a train at a crossing, therefore here we are.

The freight train derailment on the A Line was the result of the freight train colliding with a road vehicle at a grade crossing putting 20 freight cars on the ground,

The latest update from our conductor is that the crew on 92(9) timed out, so Amtrak is sending management (his words) south to bring the train to Hamlet so that crew can leave the train, and then a new crew will be taking our train onwards after 92 heads out of Hamlet. His announcement ended with "feel free to call the 800 number to let them know your situation, maybe they'll have more information than we have to give you." It's clearly gonna be a long day, cafe car attendant just make an announcement that she is telling a break because it's been a long, hard day and she doesn't want to get sick (I can only imagine what it's like there). But hey, there is heat and power and cell service and so far, food.

Edit: If nothing else, the onboard crew is doing better than usual updating passengers. On the downside, they don't have much to offer and you can hear their own frustration with that. Still waiting as of 11:28AM for a fresh crew to get 92(9) into Hamlet, then out of the station so we can (hopefully) get moving again.

Last edited:
The latest update from our conductor is that the crew on 92(9) timed out, so Amtrak is sending management (his words) south to bring the train to Hamlet so that crew can leave the train, and then a new crew will be taking our train onwards after 92 heads out of Hamlet. His announcement ended with "feel free to call the 800 number to let them know your situation, maybe they'll have more information than we have to give you." It's clearly gonna be a long day, cafe car attendant just make an announcement that she is telling a break because it's been a long, hard day and she doesn't want to get sick (I can only imagine what it's like there). But hey, there is heat and power and cell service and so far, food.
Good to have someone like you on the scene to keep us posted. Thank you for your continued periodic updates!

Latest update for 97(9): Conductors said that a CSX crew will be coming on board and taking the train to Florence. Since I can't imagine we'd be backtracking again, and involves a CSX crew, I'd guess that it is over different trackage. The more ominous part of the announcement was "when we get to Florence we'll figure out the game plan from there. We don't want to give you any information that will turn out to be wrong." We'll see what actually occurs

The combined 92/98 just passed us headed out of Hamlet. Interesting to see the two lashed together that way - with the motive power for one right after the baggage car of the other. First time I've seen that and wish I got it on video (wasn't expecting that!).

The latest update from our conductor is that the crew on 92(9) timed out
You'd think they'd have been able to figure that out sooner. :rolleyes:

The combined 92/98 just passed us headed out of Hamlet. Interesting to see the two lashed together that way - with the motive power for one right after the baggage car of the other. First time I've seen that and wish I got it on video (wasn't expecting that!).
Waiting to see it pass by the Ashland railcam. Should be about 10-15 minutes after departing Richmond. Looks like it'll be after dark, though.

Last edited:
That is exactly how they combine 29 and 49 when necessary too.
Latest update for 97(9): Conductors said that a CSX crew will be coming on board and taking the train to Florence. Since I can't imagine we'd be backtracking again, and involves a CSX crew, I'd guess that it is over different trackage. The more ominous part of the announcement was "when we get to Florence we'll figure out the game plan from there. We don't want to give you any information that will turn out to be wrong." We'll see what actually occurs
I guess you will get some trackage normally not traversed by Amtrak, the route from Hamlet to Dillon where it joins the A Line.

Well, at least it's daytime and it will be something different to see. Looking at things, if they do this it means we'd be on the Andrews Sub to Dillon - which looks like a slow ride but at least moving somewhere? Unless that game plan changes - we've been at Hamlet station for a while now.

Well, at least it's daytime and it will be something different to see. Looking at things, if they do this it means we'd be on the Andrews Sub to Dillon - which looks like a slow ride but at least moving somewhere? Unless that game plan changes - we've been at Hamlet station for a while now.
This suggests that the A Line might be close to be available at Lake City SC where the derailment occurred. Lake City, marked by the Red marker in the map below, is between Florence and Charleston.

1673375380822.png

Last edited:
This suggests that the A Line might be close to be available at Lake City SC where the derailment occurred. Lake City (marked by the Red marker in the map below, is between Florence and Charleston.
That is what I was wondering and might explain why we have been sitting at Hamlet station for well over an hour now...perhaps they are waiting to see if they tracks will be passable before they cut back over to the A Line as opposed to staying on the S Line. I do wish they would be forthcoming with some kind of information so I can give my bride a better update than "I guess I will see you when I see you." Communication with passengers is most certainly not a strength for Amtrak.

That is what I was wondering and might explain why we have been sitting at Hamlet station for well over an hour now...perhaps they are waiting to see if they tracks will be passable before they cut back over to the A Line as opposed to staying on the S Line. I do wish they would be forthcoming with some kind of information so I can give my bride a better update than "I guess I will see you when I see you." Communication with passengers is most certainly not a strength for Amtrak.
Perhaps they’re waiting for information from CSX. ;)

I'm surprised they're considering a Dillon detour this late. Seems it would be faster just to continue on your normal route especially since I suspect the A line will have lots of delayed freights waiting for a track to open. It's about 40 miles to Dillon and another 30 to Florence - probably close to a couple hours. AutoTrain may have used the only available Amtrak crew on the S line.

I'm surprised they're considering a Dillon detour this late. Seems it would be faster just to continue on your normal route especially since I suspect the A line will have lots of delayed freights waiting for a track to open. It's about 40 miles to Dillon and another 30 to Florence - probably close to a couple hours. AutoTrain may have used the only available Amtrak crew on the S line.
Beats me. They just backed us out of the station to the very same place we sat for most of the night and called all the SCAs to the Cafe Car, which is closing for service. Conductor walked through the car and someone asked what was going to happen and he just said he'd make an announcement to the whole train...and then an announcement was made but no one could hear it because the volume was so low (and none of the SCAs are currently nearby) so I guess we shall wait and see. Perhaps it's on to whatever Plan C might be at this point.

Final update - bustitution to final destinations for all.
Aaargh! But it is better than no alternate service provided, which tended to have become their go to playbook in the Anderson years.

I guess they will somehow get the consist to Miami by some route by late tonight. Not having to deal with passengers will make it a somewhat more achievable task I suppose.

Oh ... I didn't know that it ran empty from NYP. So really, it's a private train. This would be a good candidate for an "extra section", if only Amtrak had enough equipment and staff to make it so.
I thought, from a previous thread we had on the subject, that the WPB Safety Patrol was getting away from this annual train(s) excursion, and switching to flying?

My grandson is a member, and he is flying later this month…🤷‍♂️🤔

Aaargh! But it is better than no alternate service provided, which tended to have become their go to playbook in the Anderson years.

I guess they will somehow get the consist to Miami by some route by late tonight. Not having to deal with passengers will make it a somewhat more achievable task I suppose.
Seems so. Not my first rodeo with a bustitution but wish they had decided this sooner. Guessing it was not easy finding charters bit not looking forward to 8 hours on a full bus😐

Reactions: jis
Seems so. Not my first rodeo with a bustitution but wish they had decided this sooner. Guessing it was not easy finding charters bit not looking forward to 8 hours on a full bus😐
Did you find out from your SCA what is happening with them? That might give a clue as to what is happening with the consist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back