Atlantic Coast Service discussions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

I love riding backwards and, if in a roomette by myself, sometimes will switch seats just for variety. If sharing, I’ll offer to take the seat facing backwards.

I have avoided bedrooms for the reason (aside from the cost) that, oddly since I’m fine with riding backwards, I have a hard time adjusting to sleeping “sideways” instead of having my body moving in the same direction as the train.

I may have to get used to it, though—I would have trouble going down the hall to a bathroom at night (heck, I don’t find it easy in the daytime!😁) and will probably save up and get a bedroom in the new Viewliners to have my own bathroom.

I love riding backwards and, if in a roomette by myself, sometimes will switch seats just for variety. If sharing, I’ll offer to take the seat facing backwards.

I have avoided bedrooms for the reason (aside from the cost) that, oddly since I’m fine with riding backwards, I have a hard time adjusting to sleeping “sideways” instead of having my body moving in the same direction as the train.

I may have to get used to it, though—I would have trouble going down the hall to a bathroom at night (heck, I don’t find it easy in the daytime!😁) and will probably save up and get a bedroom in the new Viewliners to have my own bathroom.
I also used to be more comfortable sleeping in line with the forward motion. I also liked parting the curtains to peek outside when I woke up during the night, especially when the train was stopped at a station.

But I don't have a choice now since I need the H-room.

finleyd

Train Attendant
Leaving next Saturday, in a roomette on 9110, can anyone confirm if this is a Viewliner I or II. It really doesn't matter to me but I will bring an extra pair of shoes if its a II. Last time the bathroom got a little messy.

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Leaving next Saturday, in a roomette on 9110, can anyone confirm if this is a Viewliner I or II. It really doesn't matter to me but I will bring an extra pair of shoes if its a II. Last time the bathroom got a little messy.
Usually it is a I but it maybe a II. No guarantees. So I would bring appropriate footware.

Oreius

OBS Chief
I’m booked on the Silver Star in December, going in a Bedroom in Car 9110. What has the consist been like lately? Is 9110 a VL2? I’m hoping to be finally able to ride in one. Have they resumed traditional dining? Just curious…

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
I’m booked on the Silver Star in December, going in a Bedroom in Car 9110. What has the consist been like lately? Is 9110 a VL2? I’m hoping to be finally able to ride in one. Have they resumed traditional dining? Just curious…
9110 is usually a VL I.

They have not resumed traditional dining as of 11/26/22.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
I just saw a very late Silver Meteor 97(27) pass through Orlando (between WPK and ORL).

Consist: 1 engine (because I think it had engine issues causing the delay), 3 coaches, cafe, dining car, V1 sleeper (9710) and V2 sleeper (9711), baggage, deadhead V1 sleeper.

BBoy

Train Attendant
True!!!!!! My brother and I are on that consist right now as we speak.

Currently we are again stopped right now between SBG and WPB. Train is having brake issues.

In Okeechobee.

One of the engines we left in FLO for the Auto Train to pick up and take back up north.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amtrak709

Service Attendant
I think on the Silvers, Crescent and the LSL New York Section, two Sleepers are pretty stable now.
jis or all: To the best of your knowledge, is the Crescent running stlll with just Viewliner 1 sleepers? Trip soon ATN-WAS-ATN and I frequently upgrade as a non-ADA passenger to the H bedroom if available--a space I have always loved in the Viewliner 1 but NOT SO MUCH in the Viewliner 2 because of the toilet location (have never seen it on the Viewliner 2--but have been told on this forum's discussion). Thanks!

Oreius

OBS Chief
9110 is usually a VL I.

They have not resumed traditional dining as of 11/26/22.

Oh Well. At least I’m in a Bedroom with my own potty and shower. I haven’t had any problems with the flex dining either. This is a free trip.

My parents are coming along in May when I ride the Star. We are both in Car 9111. If that’s the VL2, then it will be very nice for my parents as I got them the H room. I’ll be in a Roomette for that trip.

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
jis or all: To the best of your knowledge, is the Crescent running stlll with just Viewliner 1 sleepers? Trip soon ATN-WAS-ATN and I frequently upgrade as a non-ADA passenger to the H bedroom if available--a space I have always loved in the Viewliner 1 but NOT SO MUCH in the Viewliner 2 because of the toilet location (have never seen it on the Viewliner 2--but have been told on this forum's discussion). Thanks!
IIRC Crescent is still all Viewliner I usually, except for the Bag-Dorm. I don;t recall whether they sell any of the Roomettes in the Bag-Dorm to customers on the Crescent as they do on the Cardinal.

Keith1951

Train Attendant
I remember when roomettes had toilets traveling from NYC to MIA. Now, I dont see any roomettes with a toilet. Have they stopped putting toilets in all the roomettes?

zephyr17

Engineer
Viewliner Is from the 1990s have in room toilets. The fairly recently delivered Viewliner IIs do not and have a toilet down the hall, which I prefer.

Whether you have a toilet in your room will depend on whether the equipment assigned for your sleeper is a Viewliner I or II. For example, on my recent trip from NYP to CHI on 49, both NY sleepers were Viewliner IIs. On last year's trip, 4911 was a Viewliner I and 4912 was a Viewliner II.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
I remember when roomettes had toilets traveling from NYC to MIA. Now, I dont see any roomettes with a toilet. Have they stopped putting toilets in all the roomettes?
Most of the Silver consists currently have one sleeper with toilets in roomettes (VI) and one sleeper without toilets (VII). It appears that the 10 car is now VI and the 11 car is VII, but, of course, that could change.

Oreius

OBS Chief
I’m onboard 91 right now. And there’s a special treat. My car is a VL2!! It’s Roanoke River. I am pleasantly surprised!

Attachments

• DC2D48AE-EE5B-453C-B6F0-EE0B9FA13126.jpeg
    DC2D48AE-EE5B-453C-B6F0-EE0B9FA13126.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 750BFCB3-6FF1-424D-8CEF-7ED491DBDE5A.jpeg
    750BFCB3-6FF1-424D-8CEF-7ED491DBDE5A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 51301F17-58BE-4AA9-A779-A3B5CA7617B9.jpeg
    51301F17-58BE-4AA9-A779-A3B5CA7617B9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Oreius

OBS Chief
This is the consist of 91: 3 Amfleet 2 coaches, 1 Lounge, 1 Viewliner 2 Diner, 2 Viewliner 2 sleepers, and a baggage car. My sleeper car’s name is Roanoke River, and 9111 is Westfield River. The Diner is named “Montgomery.”

Interestingly, I saw Silver Star 92 pull into DC just as we left. It too had 3 coaches, lounge, diner. But Car 9210 was a VL1 Sleeper and 9211 was a VL2. I must have finally got lucky this time! 😁

Attachments

• 8419DAA2-1EC1-4D65-8D56-87221CA439B9.jpeg
    8419DAA2-1EC1-4D65-8D56-87221CA439B9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • A608AD0C-2037-493A-B6DC-97A909574E2E.jpeg
    A608AD0C-2037-493A-B6DC-97A909574E2E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 0E243D3B-AB48-4C7E-BAFE-CAA6FCD5FAC6.jpeg
    0E243D3B-AB48-4C7E-BAFE-CAA6FCD5FAC6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Anderson

Engineer
Eventually I think, if they are really serious about an overnight train on the NEC extending into Virginia or beyond, they would be better off running an honest to goodness full fledged LD train. Maybe they could rejigger the schedule of the existing LD Palmetto and have it originate.terminate at Boston, and at the other end extend it to JAX and have it carry Sleepers, Diner etc.. But of course more equipment will be needed for such.
I think you've got two options here:
(1) Run the NEC portion as a day train. For this, you'd extend the Meteor to BOS (this was done for a bit back in the 70s). Given the scheduled times (IIRC the Meteor hits NYP at about 1115 and leaves at 1515) the equipment sits overnight regardless, so hitting BOS at 1515 and departing at 1115 (allowing four hours) wouldn't actually "waste" a set. The bigger issue, IIRC, is the yard situation in Boston plus the question of spare equipment. There's also the issue of "blocking" space all the way from WAS to BOS, especially given frequency limits in eastern CT. A variant of this might run over the Inland Route (which I think is mostly state/agency/Amtrak-owned, and picking up any stray portions might be feasible) - going with the 5.5-ish hours for the old Inland Route trains, that'd put arrival into BOS around 1645 or so (there's probably some time savings from track upgrades on the NHV-SPG section, and some stops could be skipped) and a departure around 0945 (ditto). Again, the question becomes one of capacity controls - but I'd like to think that Amtrak could partially handle this manually to avoid blocking out through traffic, and I'd hope that 13-14 hours was enough time to comfortably turn a train. I'd hope.

(2) If you extend the Palmetto, you'd probably want to rejigger the schedule. Probably a "better" option would be to extend the Shoreliner somewhere further south (I might suggest CLT as a southern terminus, and you can pick which line you run it on). Honestly, extending the Shoreliner to CLT and having folks transfer at WAS (or doing through cars) wouldn't be absurd, and at that point you're looking at needing...three sleepers, maybe?