Attempted Theft of Conductor's Backpack in Springfield MA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Dow

Train Attendant
Not sure what train it was, but guessing it was a NE Regional that terminates at SPG since there were no passengers aboard.

News summary

How does the Amtrak police have juristication if the locals were the ones charing the man with the crime?

How does the Amtrak police have juristication if the locals were the ones charing the man with the crime?
The locals can charge with local crimes, ie: trespassing and larceny. The Amtrak police can further charge railroading and federal charges. He must be back in the locals' hands, though, because he going to be arraigned by them.

And, yes, jumping off a train is stupid, but not suicidal. No indication how fast it was going, but anything under 10 mph is certainly a get away route that can be planned.

And it is creepy. I was just thinking to myself yesterday what a modern day train robbery would look like...

Last edited by a moderator:
And it is creepy. I was just thinking to myself yesterday what a modern day train robbery would look like...
Can you think about some rain (but not heavy downpours) for the parched areas of the country, especially where there are fires? :)

Not sure what train it was, but guessing it was a NE Regional that terminates at SPG since there were no passengers aboard.

News summary
What would the benefit be? They don't exactly carry money in their backpacks, do they?

I guess trying to attribute some kind of clear motive to a stupid crime is probably pointless. (And I agree with those who say the thief should face federal charges)

News summary
What would the benefit be? They don't exactly carry money in their backpacks, do they?

I guess trying to attribute some kind of clear motive to a stupid crime is probably pointless. (And I agree with those who say the thief should face federal charges)
I think this dude knew exactly what he was doing:

Joseph Wnek, 27, was uninjured from the jump, but he was charged with trespassing and larceny in excess of $250, according to Springfield police, who charged the man before before turning him over to Amtrak police.
There is a lot of cash on the train. From room upgrades to other cash transactions on board, lots of money exchanges hands. Didn't think the conductor handled cafe car or diner money, but maybe so. They can sell tickets on board to individuals, too.

Thanks. I did not think about room upgrade money and the like. (I've seen too many people on the runs I take trying to do a room upgrade, only to be told they're all sold out!)

I didn't realize the conductor would keep cash in a backpack. Maybe they need AmSafes?

I'm thinking that there might have been a walkie-talkie, or possibly a laptop, in there. Cafe receipts would also do it, I suspect, depending on whether this was the LSL, the Vermonter, or a Regional.

Also...I don't think that any train going through SPG uses a diner, so I suspect it was the cafe.

The locals can charge with local crimes, ie: trespassing and larceny. The Amtrak police can further charge railroading and federal charges. He must be back in the locals' hands, though, because he going to be arraigned by them.

And, yes, jumping off a train is stupid, but not suicidal. No indication how fast it was going, but anything under 10 mph is certainly a get away route that can be planned.

In most states, railroad police officers (usually titled Special Agents) have both jurisdiction and arrest power in any state in which their railroad does business. They can, and do, detain, interrogate, and arrest suspected criminals on RR property or for alleged crimes that occurred on RR property.

In other words, a RR Special Agent has arrest powers both on and off RR property in connection with criminal acts against the RR company or criminal acts committed by individuals while on RR property.

They are sworn law enforcement officers required to maintain the same or better qualifications and certifications in the same manner that state and local law enforcement agencies require of their officers.

edit: typo

They are quite reassuring men and women to have around!

News summary
All employee manuals such as NORAC, timetables, paperwork, tickets collected, and a handful of other things. In Philadelphia the Septa conductors have a set place to put them but they never use it. They either use the seats or the vestibules. The seats where it's wide open for the public to go through but at night they can fill out some paperwork. But why not put it in that locked box?

Not always. Years ago while in the Navy, I had to arrange for the transportation of a young sailor's remains home. He was on a train that was approaching his station. He decided to leave before the train stopped. At an estimated 7 mph he did so, slipped on some gravel and tumbled head first into a concrete abutment. Wasn't pretty, but it was fatal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back