Austin Amtrak Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
During the Historic "Big Freeze" the past week, the Austin Amtrak Station ( Ex- Mopac/ Now UP owned) had Busted Water Pipes and extensive Flooding occur.

With the Texas Eagles/ Sunset Ltd Cancelled for a Week, this gives UP time to repair the Station IF a Plumber can be booked.

Thousands of Buildings, Homes and Apartments suffered the same malady and Plumbers are booked up for Weeks.????????

Once the Eagles resumed Service, Austin may be one of those "Platform Stations" for awhile!!!

Last edited:
During the Historic "Big Freeze" the past week, the Austin Amtrak Station ( Ex- Mopac/ Now UP owned) had Busted Water Pipes and extensive Flooding occur.

With the Texas Eagles/ Sunset Ltd Cancelled for a Week, this gives UP time to repair the Station IF a Plumber can be booked.

Thousands of Buildings, Homes and Apartments suffered the same malady and Plumbers are booked up for Weeks.????????

Once the Eagles resumed Service, Austin may be one of those "Platform Stations" for awhile!!!
A sad thing about Amtrak is that it is so starved for funds repairs take a long time to get done. :rolleyes:

BTW... hope you are doing ok and back at your home?

BTW... hope you are doing ok and back at your home?
Thanks, got everything back on Sat,2/20, except Austin has to Boil their Water, and had to throw out all my Fridge and Freezer items and restock as Austin and Texas starts its recovery from " The Big Chill".

The Management Co. fed us Supper last night from a really Cool Food Truck.

The Big Thaw is on and the Sun is shining as Temps go back into the 60s/70s and no Freezing in the Dark!

And I get to spend my 77th Birthday @ Home !

How are your plumbing skills? Maybe you could help? :)

I'm glad you're okay, Jim, and happy birthday. I hope to see you in Chicago.

Back to the subject of this thread. Do you expect UP to feel any urgency about fixing the station? The pessimist in me can imagine UP deciding it's just not worth repairing.

A sad thing about Amtrak is that it is so starved for funds repairs take a long time to get done. :rolleyes:
I suspect that it is UP's job to repair their station building in Austin. IIRC Amtrak is just a tenant. Not that it reduces the jeopardy much, necessarily.

Thanks, got everything back on Sat,2/20, except Austin has to Boil their Water, and had to throw out all my Fridge and Freezer items and restock as Austin and Texas starts its recovery from " The Big Chill".

The Big Thaw is on and the Sun is shining as Temps go back into the 60s/70s and no Freezing in the Dark!

Happy birthday friend... glad you can spend it in your home! 😊

Happy Birthday Jim!!!.png

That's a nice landlord.

I suspect that it is UP's job to repair their station building in Austin. IIRC Amtrak is just a tenant. Not that it reduces the jeopardy much, necessarily.
Its the Restrooms that are affected, and the City requires businesses that serve the public to make facilities available, so I would guess that UP probably has Crews that do plumbing,electricsl etc. so itll get done fairly quickly.

Plus it's a Crew change spot for engineers and the Agents are there from 8am to 21/421 arrives in the evening( except on Thursday during the 3 Trains a week Schedule, when the Statikn is closed).

Back