Auto train Coach Dining after 1/20/20

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MDRailfan

Will the Cross Country Cafe on the Auto Train be the same menu as the National Cafe menu? I noticed that even the sleeper menu has been removed from their link. If it is different, when might they post it? I did not care for the cafe salad on the SS a few weeks ago. Was wilted!

We just don’t know.

Wilted salad is unfortunate, but it is a Vender, Transportation, or storage issue.

Of course the important issue was the quality of the food served to you, and not what when wrong or where. Multiple areas to fail when dealing with a short shelf life.

Last edited:
We just don’t know.

Wilted salad is unfortunate, but is a Vender, Transportation, or storage issue.

Of course the important issue was the quality of the food served to you, and not what when wrong or where. Multiple areas to fail when dealing with a short shelf life.

Regardless, the cafe car menu has a lot to be desired..Will stop before and pack things to eat in cooler bag.

Going on next LD trip next Nov(coming home 2 days before Thanksgiving) and taking 91 going and 98 return both in sleeper so here's hoping they change the current sleeper menu..If not I hope it tastes good!

Oh, I got the lower price on 91 before it catches up to SM's prices. Did not realize that different sleeping cars has different prices/points. 12 car on mine was cheaper than 10 car on 98 and 11 car cheaper than 10 car on 91. I guess that's what they mean when they say online..."2 at this price".

The great Banana Famine?

Missed that one. Really we do have a coming issue with a blight, but not yet. Not sure how or why Amtrak would cut banana from the menu as there cheap, and plentiful.

The great Banana Famine?

Missed that one. Really we do have a coming issue with a blight, but not yet. Not sure how or why Amtrak would cut banana from the menu as there cheap, and plentiful.

To save a dime!!! As a "commuter" on the AT...I offered to swing by the COSTCO and buy them a crate of bananas! LOL But "no"...by some regulation I couldn't. Like giving them a DVD from RedBox.....they stopped movies so as to not pay "royalties". As all the old amenities disappear, and the rates go up...wonder where all that money is going?!?

What the coach cafe menu will look like following 1/20 is a mystery. There is currently an extremely limited cafe menu in the lounge cars on the auto train (with many less options than even the regular national cafe menu - most people use them for buying alcoholic beverages while sitting in the lounge.) they offer only a few items since everyone gets free meals in the dining car. The main highlight is that you can get a breakfast sandwich if you want something more substantial than what is offered in the continental breakfast. Once the diner goes away they need to dramatically expand the menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back