Auto Train Derailment - Auto Racks (3/29)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the cars strapped down or blocked somehow in the auto racks or just reliant on friction and gravity?
From another thread here, the cars are strap down by the tires.

I'll add my own spin in that they might "bounce around" as far as their suspensions allow them to go.

The cars seem to just be along for the ride .... https://youtu.be/BCkUnz3GxO8?t=2m28s ... no strapping to be seen.

I have seen cars come off auto racks that have shifted and bumped into the next car. The AT station staff seemed to have a good process of taking photos and documenting the damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me if they had to strap and unstrap 200 or so cars, then the loading/unloading would take 3-4 hours to accomplish....
The one thing I know for sure is that I don't know for sure, one way or the other. Seems a bit dicey to just trust to gravity and the parking brakes.

If the possibility exists that my car would not be firmly fastened in place makes me re-think whether I would want to use the Auto Train service.

And, if a car would be damaged during the loading/unloading process or during transit, is Amtrak liable?

If the possibility exists that my car would not be firmly fastened in place makes me re-think whether I would want to use the Auto Train service.

And, if a car would be damaged during the loading/unloading process or during transit, is Amtrak liable?
Yes, which is why they carefully document every scratch, nick, dent, and spot on your car prior to loading it. I was told they chocked the cars but that may have been the end vehicles.

We'll see whether it was equipment or tracks, but my bet is on CSX trackage. CSX has a history of failure to maintain its tracks dating back decades. Track undermaintenance is policy at CSX, and they doubled down on it when Harrison took over.

The day after the derailment I heard the cause was a broken rail, and today I read something about a broken rail. In time we will know. CSX might or might not be culpable if it was indeed a broken rail.

The day after the derailment I heard the cause was a broken rail, and today I read something about a broken rail. In time we will know. CSX might or might not be culpable if it was indeed a broken rail.
Not for the damages to be covered. That is Amtrak’s responsibility AFAICT.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

It was quite a while ago, but I was told in Lorton that each car is secured front and back wheels which I presumed was chocking the tires. Chocking the tires is quick to set and quick to remove. Not sure how secure this method is in a derailment.

If proven, then it was CSX who is not adequately funding track maintenance. Always noticed that Antrak trains on CSX track was always a rougher ride than on NS track BUT the autoracks on the A/T have had problems before with the wheel truck assemblies.. IIRC the train was cancelled for a few days back a few years exactly for that issue.

So, CSX has determined that the money lost from all the possible derailments (freight and passenger) is less that the money it will cost to properly maintain its track?

Not for the damages to be covered. That is Amtrak’s responsibility AFAICT.
Culpability in public opinion and legal liability are correlated but not identical.
Also from a safety perspective, ultimately the one who is responsible for providing the proximate cause for an event is the one that has to fix things irrespective of who bears the responsibility for compensating the victims.

So how did this one end up being resolved? CSX locos haul the stranded auto carriers to Sanford?

So how did this one end up being resolved? CSX locos haul the stranded auto carriers to Sanford?
Someone on FB posted a couple of days ago that CSX was hauling them. They gave the CSX # and maybe the loco’s # but not pics. I assumed they were headed to Sanford.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

But CSX isn't out any money from Amtrak, doesn't the law state that Amtrak bears all financial responsibility on a no fault basis?
Yes, my understanding is that Amtrak indemnifies and holds the railroads harmless for passenger losses. And the RR's hold Amtrak harmless for damage to the railroad infrastructure, etc. That is regardless of who is at fault.

And then bill Amtrak for the work - to add insult to injury?
Or CSX demands the owners of the cars pay, each it a $1,600 freight fee, before turning the vehicle over.
default_biggrin.png

Back