Auto train derailment south of Deland 3/26

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hang in there. North of ORL, coming to Church Street.
It was moving pretty slowly but I saw it. WOW WOW WOW! Thanks for heads up.
I took some photos that turned out pretty poorly. I had to jog home and made it with 2 minutes to spare. I am now wide awake, but thrilled to have seen the Auto Train in Orlando, right down the street from where I live. 😍
BE57B43C-40FC-4D2A-9BE7-F569083ACAF6.jpeg

Attachments

• 17205A89-B01D-4E14-B7DB-26678575799B.jpeg
    17205A89-B01D-4E14-B7DB-26678575799B.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 36278BB9-7ECC-4743-8A5A-3C1A841217B5.jpeg
    36278BB9-7ECC-4743-8A5A-3C1A841217B5.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 1E25E057-07B4-4999-9E4A-11426600F730.jpeg
    1E25E057-07B4-4999-9E4A-11426600F730.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 22
  • F962CCF7-CB70-4674-BE73-872813ACAE06.jpeg
    F962CCF7-CB70-4674-BE73-872813ACAE06.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
It was moving pretty slowly but I saw it. WOW WOW WOW! Thanks for heads up.

source.gif

Well done, commander!

That was a long detour. Wow.

Track a train is showing 53 approaching Gainesville, Fl (Waldo) at 5PM eastern This is rare mileage for the Auto Train. I guess this is to get around the Deland derail from yesterday. How will they finally get to Sanford?

South of Waldo, take a left at Plant City and head eat to Auburndale, where they turn north and head thru Orlando and up to Sanford. Back in to Sanford, I think..

Does anyone know how they unloaded the auto carriers in Sanford? Did they drive autos in reverse through the carrier?

I find it extremely hard to believe 294 pax were on the train. I could see 2 or 9 or 4.

Why would that be? It appears that in spite of the current panic over the virus, there are SOME people who are taking logical precautions and going on with their lives.

Holy Crap!
Has the Auto Train ever had a derailment before??
I've been tracking the departure/arrival times, as we plan to join the snowbird crowd next year.
When I saw that NB & SB trains were cancelled, I knew something unusual was up.
Now the wife has a reason to fear the train; she already fears air travel - Aye Yai Yai !o_O

Why would that be? It appears that in spite of the current panic over the virus, there are SOME people who are taking logical precautions and going on with their lives.
Taking "logical precautions" means Social Distancing ( at least 6 Feet apart) and Staying @ Home except for Essential things.

Riding on a LD Train right now fits None of these criteria if you believe the Scientists and Medical Professionals.

Shut 'em down!!!Stay @ Home!!!

I find it extremely hard to believe 294 pax were on the train. I could see 2 or 9 or 4.
Snowbird migration. The southbound is empty (1-or-2 diner seatings) and northbound FULL (4 dinner seatings)...been on both. The Villages empty this time of year. All those old folk are returning to NY & NJ, COVID-19 Ground Zero!. As to why the top of the highest risk group would go back there is beyond me when they're in a safe gated Florida community.

Snowbird migration. The southbound is empty (1-or-2 diner seatings) and northbound FULL (4 dinner seatings)...been on both. The Villages empty this time of year. All those old folk are returning to NY & NJ, COVID-19 Ground Zero!. As to why the top of the highest risk group would go back there is beyond me when they're in a safe gated Florida community.
They are migrating for Easter and to avoid Florida's 9 month long summer. It is already in the 90's here in Orlando, and The Villages can be warmer. The Villages may not be so safe. They just started testing there, so the results should be in soon.

They are migrating for Easter and to avoid Florida's 9 month long summer. It is already in the 90's here in Orlando, and The Villages can be warmer. The Villages may not be so safe. They just started testing there, so the results should be in soon.
And, if they don't OWN in Florida, and are renting or using timeshares - they will have to leave and go home.
I feel sorry for any of those traumatized by the derailment on top of the anxiety we're all already facing. And I feel really sorry for any who incur auto damages that will complicate their transportation issues back at Lorton. (praying for all involved)

Has the Auto Train ever had a derailment before??

Yes, and with fatalities .

Derailment of Amtrak Auto Train P052-18 on the CSXT Railroad Near Crescent City, Florida April 18, 2002

"The train derailed in a left-hand curve while traveling about 56 mph. The train was carrying 413 passengers and 33 Amtrak employees. The derailment resulted in 4 fatalities, 36 serious injuries, and 106 minor injuries. The equipment and track costs associated with the accident totaled about $8.3 million."

Here's another link & video: Amtrak train derails near DeLand

Hmmm...glad I canceled my trip! The train was half full so if they're lucky, the last 8 auto-carriers were empty. But...imagine if those were for "Priority"!
I'd guess if your car was throw on to it's side...the bodywork along would render it "totaled".
* On a train derailment INS CO will generally "total" anything that goes off the tracks even minimally damaged

Back