Auto train derailment south of Deland 3/26

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is when it started doubling to its car carriers. It is still on the outskirts of the facility.
Thanks. I still have my "indoor" clothing on now, and will wait until I hear from you before I put my "outdoor" clothing on and make my way to the tracks. It is 91 degrees outside, so I do not want to arrive too early and stand in sun.

Thanks. I still have my "indoor" clothing on now, and will wait until I hear from you before I put my "outdoor" clothing on and make my way to the tracks. It is 91 degrees outside, so I do not want to arrive too early and stand in sun.

It is definitely heading your way. It is by Longwood. I would think 15 mins or so.

Yeah, and since you had enough notice, perhaps you took some video!!! It is already by her so hopefully, she won't have to jog home this time either!!šŸ¤£
Although I had enough notice, the train was traveling faster than I expected and I got delayed because of the zoom virtual birthday party for my great nephew. It is hard enough for me to multitask, but really hard when it involves technology and losing a signal in a stair well, having to mute, when I was outside, yada yada yada. I was a few blocks away when I saw the train. Although I was not right there, I did see it. I did see the car carriers after the first engine, which surprised me. It looked like only one engine in the rear, but I could be mistaken since I was a few blocks away and there was traffic on the road. It seemed like 52 was traveling faster than 53 the other day.
Sorry no video (since I was zooming at a birthday party at the same time - they knew I was outdoors but not why), but I took one photo and will try to post from my phone.
Again, thanks for the heads up. It is rare that I have 2 things to do at the same time (especially during a "stay at home" order by our city), but today I did. :(1CA694F6-15FB-4AA2-9C0A-F2CE5FDE81E2.jpeg

Edit: Pretty poor photo of the train which is too far to see, but pretty good photo of "For Lease" sign. Sorry, I failed, but I tried.

Will it go through Plant City or is that south of where it turns north?

There's a rail cam at Plant City

Again, thanks for the heads up. It is rare that I have 2 things to do at the same time (especially during a "stay at home" order by our city), but today I did. :(

Edit: Pretty poor photo of the train which is too far to see, but pretty good photo of "For Lease" sign. Sorry, I failed, but I tried.

It's ok Penny. At least you got to see it and hear it. Unfortunately, not everyone as understanding and wants to weigh in on the situation:

šŸ¤£ ;)
Will it go through Plant City or is that south of where it turns north?

The auto pain will turn north prior to Plant City but if it makes you feet better, the lite engine that is leftover from the tow move may pass Plant City...twice.

Waiting in Wildwood now

It left LKL a few minutes ago.

So do they reverse in Lakeland and ditch the spare engine there or continue further west to the alternate track?

Once it clears the wye, they cut the tow engine off and the engines on the rear will pull it to LOR. By doing this, they make sure the automobiles are properly pointed for unloading.

Fortunately this weeks derailment was relatively minor, as such things go. I talked with a friend of mine who had some inside information, and provided the following update to some friends of mine yesterday as follows:
  • Appears it was a track issue / sun kink (or track defect), but no official cause yet
  • Train was doing 40 MPH when it went into emergency
  • Derailment occurred south of the De Land Amtrak station
  • That track is owned and maintained by SunRail, though they do not operate on that section between De Bary and De Land
    • Apparently CSXT had to help out as SunRail had no protocol in place or contacts to bring in Hulcher (or what-ever crane / re-railer service they brought in)
  • 10 carriers derailed, 2 upright, 8 on their sides
  • There were 90 vehicles on the 10 cars, and these included the passengers who paid the priority loading premium.
  • Amtrak had 90 rentals at Lorton upon 52ā€™s arrival the next day, and big $$$ in vouchers etc. for the passengers, plus Amtrak reps, Amtrak police and some EMS (just in case)
  • All told, 28 rail cars arrived Lorton, believe 17 superliners and 11 auto carriers, so they had 21 carriers on departure (assuming the two upright cars were left behind, and the 28 count at Lorton is correct)
Apart from the Crescent City wreck in 2002 I do not recall any major Amtrak Auto Train derailment; perhaps a few minor ones similar to this weeks. I am sure someone could elaborate on that. The original Auto-Train Corporation had several major wrecks from1971-1981.

As for Crescent City, here is the damage list of the superliners: @=scrapped, *=wrecked/out of service and returned to service in 2003 or later (list is from Amtrak Superliner):

04/18/02 - train 52 Crescent City FL - sleepers 32074 - 32084 - *32090 - @32100 (New York), Deluxe sleepers *32501 - 32502 - *32503, AT Lounges *33100 - 33101, coaches *34120 - @34125 - @34126 - *34129, diners 38052 - *38054. Cars with no indicator likely returned to service in 2002, not sure when 32502 and 32503 returned.

The list is not in standing order. Trans-dorm 39002 was the lead car and not in above list. If it derailed it was upright, and as I recall the lead sleeper was derailed but upright (and perhaps another, leaning), then the following sleepers and 1st class lounge and diner were on their sides, followed by a general pileup (the three cars which were scrapped were in the middle of that). I had been at that exact spot photographing 52 twice before that wreck (pre-superliner) and had parked where the general pileup occurred.

32501 Palm Beach was not returned to service until March of 2011, after $2.1M of repairs funded by the stimulus package back then.

32501 Palm Beach after wreck
View attachment 17166

32501 Palm Beach May 2011 at National Train Day Tampa Union Station (early AM before crowds), same side, after rebuild and $2.1M:
View attachment 17167
Did I miss the information re" personal item in the cars on the wrecked autoracks? Valuables, other items that would have been in the individual autos? Were those recovered yet?

It appears that 52 and 53 (28) ran and didn't have to detour, which implies the line has been reopened since the wreck. So why is today's train detouring?

Back