Auto train derailment south of Deland 3/26

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made it to Lorton you mean. They had rental cars waiting and $100 vouchers to help them get home and I would imagine they got refunds as well. It was 89 affected cars.

Thanks, yes -- LORTON :D

I'm just picturing all the after effects --- getting vehicles back "home", repaired when necessary - and all that luggage and such which people were separated from.

Something tells me we'll never hear the entire story. We obviously needed some forum members on there to give us their experiences in that regard. Though, I would not wish that upon anyone!

We're looking to have the WC Van put on a Auto Carrier. Around $1000. Get on Jet Blue or Allegiant $200-300 for 2 and be home in three hours (Syracuse). NO good choices, germs in airports, etc. Love Florida but there's no place like home with Family, at this time.
Please stay home. Essential travel only means just that: essential only.

True, essential should not be equated to house arrest. YMMV, but common sense must play a role, unless you're in China (or similar) and the government chains the door shut to your building.

We're looking to have the WC Van put on a Auto Carrier. Around $1000. Get on Jet Blue or Allegiant $200-300 for 2 and be home in three hours (Syracuse). NO good choices, germs in airports, etc. Love Florida but there's no place like home with Family, at this time.
Sending best wishes your way - I hope things work out.
Please keep us posted.

I just noticed today's (4/1) Auto Trains are cancelled in both directions. ??

Condo owner said he would extend lease but no details, yet. Supposed to be out today. Area we live in, Syracuse not hit as hard as NYC. Where we are Broward County, Florida no Picnic Area. Governor is shaky, at best. We're doing everything you're supposed to do. but TV says worst coming, and Body Count rises. Like being back in Vietnam. If we weren't in high risk group, we'd be home. Making sense of Risk/Reward at this time, and not endanger other's. Time to watch Cuomo's news conference.😷

Condo owner said he would extend lease but no details, yet. Supposed to be out today. Area we live in, Syracuse not hit as hard as NYC. Where we are Broward County, Florida no Picnic Area. Governor is shaky, at best. We're doing everything you're supposed to do. but TV says worst coming, and Body Count rises. Like being back in Vietnam. If we weren't in high risk group, we'd be home. Making sense of Risk/Reward at this time, and not endanger other's. Time to watch Cuomo's news conference.😷
gwolfdog - hang in there; we're all pulling for you.
Thanks for keeping us posted.

Still haven't seen/read/heard anything about today's cancellations ??

Taking "logical precautions" means Social Distancing ( at least 6 Feet apart) and Staying @ Home except for Essential things.

Riding on a LD Train right now fits None of these criteria if you believe the Scientists and Medical Professionals.

Shut 'em down!!!Stay @ Home!!!
"Shut 'em down" means shutting the economy down. I hope you have plenty of cash, ammunition and food cached. If this silliness keeps up much longer, it is gonna get really ugly.
I've been through over 70 years of these epidemics, pandemics, outbreaks, whatever. Taking care of oneself, cleanliness, sanitary and prophylactic health measures will keep you out of the woods. Flu shots every year, and general hygiene work wonders. Alcohol in hand wipes does no good against a virus. Bacteria, yes.
I'll pass on being cooped up in an an aircraft or even a cruise ship. If you keep your guard, keep your overall health in check, even if you come down with the virus, you will survive.

"Shut 'em down" means shutting the economy down. I hope you have plenty of cash, ammunition and food cached. If this silliness keeps up much longer, it is gonna get really ugly.
I've been through over 70 years of these epidemics, pandemics, outbreaks, whatever. Taking care of oneself, cleanliness, sanitary and prophylactic health measures will keep you out of the woods. Flu shots every year, and general hygiene work wonders. Alcohol in hand wipes does no good against a virus. Bacteria, yes.
I'll pass on being cooped up in an an aircraft or even a cruise ship. If you keep your guard, keep your overall health in check, even if you come down with the virus, you will survive.
What you say is OK for YOU! But this country is Full of Morons that listen to Quacks in the Media and on the Net and dont Care if they Kill Us All!

Even Trump is now saying 100,000-250,000 will Die, I dont want innocent people that are trying to do the right thing for Society to be among them!

I choose to believe the Scientists and the Health Care Workers!! YMMV

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure where to begin. Your profile indicates you're 73 years old, so you should be very concerned about the current health crisis.

Nobody actually wants to shut the economy down. I am acutely aware of the devastating effects quarantining/social distancing/isolation is doing to the both the U.S. and global economies and how it will continue to get much worse. However, we as a country need to look at why the economy is crashing so much and who is keeping it running. We have been in a bull market for years and a recession was bound to happen. I agreed with many financial experts who predicted 2020 would bring a recession. It looks like COVID-19 kickstarted that. Now, who is keeping the economy running? The service industry and "blue-collar" workers, including those who are continuing to deliver (often needless) goods to consumers safely cooped up in their house while the workers are out there risking their lives just so they can have food to put on the table, first responders, healthcare, transportation, freight railroads, truck drivers, grocery stores, tech support, defense, pharmacies (which includes medical marijuana dispensaries), food banks, shelters, vets, mail, limited restaurant services, bike shops, and utilities. Notably off this list are liquor stores, which are currently considered "essential" but some states are thinking of closing them, for a multitude of good reasons IMO.

Maybe we should consider actually paying these workers what they're worth and providing basic needs like healthcare, paid sick leave, and other benefits instead of prioritizing stock value and profits over seemingly anything else.

While COVID-19 is not as contagious like some other diseases such as measles, its infection rate is still about 10 times that of the seasonal flu, and that's with a large portion of the population (at least in the U.S.) vaccinated. In addition, the death rate is high for certain age groups, the immunocomprimised (a larger percentage of the population than many think), and new data is starting to come out about a larger portion of younger people being hospitalized and dying from the disease than was previously thought.

Make no mistake, this is an incredibly dire situation and the United States, a developed country with the biggest economy in the world, is exceedingly unprepared for it. However, this isn't going to turn into the apocalypse some are fearing (ammo and other panic buying). Why? Because of the workers I mentioned above keeping the essential tasks running.

So please, take this seriously. If you'd like to have more debate, let's move this to the general discussion here or on private message. Thanks!

I just want to bring this back to the Auto Train derailment and the continued service disruption.
What is Amtrak saying, regarding when regular Auto Train service is expected to be restored??
Today's schedule, once again, shows CANCELED !

I just want to bring this back to the Auto Train derailment and the continued service disruption.
What is Amtrak saying, regarding when regular Auto Train service is expected to be restored??
Today's schedule, once again, shows CANCELED !

Amtrak only stated that it was canceled on 3/31 and 4/1 so it is obviously expected to operate today. I haven't seen anything from Amtrak saying they are canceling the Auto train for today or any other day.

After a search, the only place that mentions the Auto Train is Dixielandsoftware.net, and that isn't an Amtrak operated site.

So once again, can you point to an Amtrak issued statement that says the Auto Train is canceled?

Are you even riding this train? Did someone from Amtrak notify you your reservation is canceled?

Amtrak only stated that it was canceled on 3/31 and 4/1 so it is obviously expected to operate today. I haven't seen anything from Amtrak saying they are canceling the Auto train for today or any other day.

After a search, the only place that mentions the Auto Train is Dixielandsoftware.net, and that isn't an Amtrak operated site.

So once again, can you point to an Amtrak issued statement that says the Auto Train is canceled?

Are you even riding this train? Did someone from Amtrak notify you your reservation is canceled?
I got this from the Amtrak Site - under Train Status:Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 8.24.28 AM.png

Ok....and as we posted on this board, the Auto Train departures were canceled on 3/31 and 4/1. You are posting the ARRIVAL information for 4/2. If the train (which operates overnight) doesn't depart on 4/1, how could it possibly arrive on 4/2?
Yes - I realized that after your last post.
thanks!

Back