Auto Train Discounts - Passenger w/ Disabilities (and Companion)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dovecote

OBS Chief
According to the latest info on Amtrak's website, on the Auto Train, only passengers traveling with their own wheeled mobility device (wheelchair or scooter) qualify for the passengers with disability discount. Does anyone know if this is a recent policy change? Back in May I booked a trip and was able to receive a 15% discount on the passenger fare, companion fare, and the accessible bedroom. My wife has mobility issues but is able to get around without the need of a wheelchair.

Not sure the reasoning, unless Amtrak has had trouble on the Auto train with passengers with questionable disabilities, so they decided to offer the discount only to whom they feel are truly disabled. Just a guess, but the Auto Train operates different from the rest of Amtrak.

The disability discount is different than booking the Accessible "H" Bedroom in a Sleeper.

For the discount:

"Amtrak offers a 15% rail fare discount to adult passengers with a disability (deaf or have a hearing loss, passengers who are blind or have a vision loss, passengers with a disability who need a wheeled mobility device)." "Amtrak also offers a 15% discount for persons traveling with a passenger with a disability as a companion. Those designated as companions must be 18 years of age or older." "You must provide written documentation of your disability at the ticket counter and when boarding the train."

"The discount extended to passengers with disability and companions is not valid with Saver Fares and may not be combinable with other discount programs (senior, AAA, Student Advantage, NARP, etc.)."

"On the Auto Train, only passengers traveling with their own wheeled mobility device (wheelchair or scooter) qualify for the passengers with disability discount."

Accessible Bedroom:

"... reservations for accessible bedrooms may be made only for passengers with a disability who travel with a wheeled mobility device."

"Passengers booking an accessible bedroom accommodation will be required to certify that they require one or more of the accessible features of the accessible room accommodation in order to book and receive the discount."

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but the AT is a bit more stringent in that the disability discount does not apply unless you are using a wheeled mobility device. On the AT no scooter or no wheelchair, no discount. You could be a coach passenger with a scooter or wheelchair and be in LL coach.

"On the Auto Train, only passengers traveling with their own wheeled mobility device (wheelchair or scooter) qualify for the passengers with disability discount."

Even in the ADA guides the feds publish there is a lack of clarity (what a surprise) They reference manual mobility aids separately from "other powered mobility devices"

From an operational standpoint powered makes a big difference, many of them are very heavy and some cannot fold and take up quite a bit of room, on the other hand, a Segway can be used in some cases, and they are vertical and can stand in a corner. There are plenty of people who do not have an ADA covered disability who may use a device (often for a good reason) but they may be treated differently. I might need a n assistive device if I have a badly sprained ankle, but since it a short duration illness it is not generally protected under the ADA.

According to the latest info on Amtrak's website, on the Auto Train, only passengers traveling with their own wheeled mobility device (wheelchair or scooter) qualify for the passengers with disability discount. Does anyone know if this is a recent policy change? Back in May I booked a trip and was able to receive a 15% discount on the passenger fare, companion fare, and the accessible bedroom. My wife has mobility issues but is able to get around without the need of a wheelchair.
Let me clarify that this past May I booked a northbound Sept Auto Train trip with an Amtrak agent. I informed the agent of my wife's mobility issues (wheelchair not required) and asked if she and I would be eligible for the "passenger and companion disability discount". The agent said we would both qualify to receive the discount. Additionally I asked if the "H" room is reserved would we receive it at the current roomette rate along with a 15% discount. The agent said yes to that as well. I booked the trip and indeed received the discounts confirmed by the agent.

Now fast forward to the present. I am planning for the return southbound Auto Train trip. The guidelines indicate the discounts received previously are not applicable. So my question specifically is has the disability discounts on the Auto Train change between May and July? I ask this due to my concerns that I may have issues during the check-in process on my Sept trip. The agent may notice my wife does not have a wheelchair and question why discounts were issued to the fares.

Let me clarify that this past May I booked a northbound Sept Auto Train trip with an Amtrak agent. I informed the agent of my wife's mobility issues (wheelchair not required) and asked if she and I would be eligible for the "passenger and companion disability discount". The agent said we would both qualify to receive the discount. Additionally I asked if the "H" room is reserved would we receive it at the current roomette rate along with a 15% discount. The agent said yes to that as well. I booked the trip and indeed received the discounts confirmed by the agent.

Now fast forward to the present. I am planning for the return southbound Auto Train trip. The guidelines indicate the discounts received previously are not applicable. So my question specifically is has the disability discounts on the Auto Train change between May and July? I ask this due to my concerns that I may have issues during the check-in process on my Sept trip. The agent may notice my wife does not have a wheelchair and question why discounts were issued to the fares.
Seems to me if you have you ticket in hand, the agent won't question it. If the rules did change, than you would be "grandfathered" into your present ticket. If the ticket agent made a mistake, well, that's not your fault.

Seems to me if you have you ticket in hand, the agent won't question it. If the rules did change, than you would be "grandfathered" into your present ticket. If the ticket agent made a mistake, well, that's not your fault.
I don't think the rules have been changed; at least not during 2017.

There is the rule of "You must provide written documentation of your disability at the ticket counter and when boarding the train" so there is some non-zero chance that the Conductor would ask for such documentation. I would make sure I had it with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back