Auto Train discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The consist of this train would make it seem the train had at least 40 total cars. It may be that Amtrak has a policy to not back the train to a better location. As well where would the conductor locate on the car carrier to monitor the reversal.? As well there might have been another train on the track blocking reversal to aa suitable location. Now if CSX could have attached loco(s) to the rear to sitable location then that might have been possible.

It may be Congess can pass a law exemptig HOS in passenger emergencies? Lots of luck !!

Someone who was on the said Autotrain reports that Amtrak is giving 100% refund with an apology, no questions asked.
Great. Now the rest of us have to subsidize the irrational whiners. They got 20 hours of free lodging and food. What more could they want Amtrak to do? Granted, the comm. from staff onboard sounded horrendous but that’s worth a $200 voucher at the absolute most

Just want to share that my wife and I were on the northbound AutoTrain that had to be rerouted due to the derailing in Lake City, South Carolina. We also had several delays and were routed through Columbia SC and Hamlet SC. And we got a lunch with a heated stew and a snack in the late afternoon. However, we arrived at our destination - Lorton, Virginia - at 7pm on Tuesday, September 10, eleven hours earlier than the southbound train arrived in Sanford, Florida. The feeling among passengers on our train was that Amtrak was doing as well as it could given that the derailing was something it had no part in causing. The crew was communicating with us throughout this experience. An announcement was made around 9 pm on Monday that there had been a derailment north of Savannah and that we would have to wait several hours at Savannah before we could proceed on our alternate routing. Another announcement confirming this was made around 11 pm and then, observing quiet hours overnight, the next announcement was made at 7 am when we were in Columbia, SC. Regular announcements were made after that throughout the day until our arrival in Lorton.

I did receive, and I assume the other passengers did as well, a phone message from Amtrak after we arrived in Lorton advising that we would get a credit voucher - the announcement did not indicate how much the credit would be.

Last edited:
Although I am in some agreement with Palmland's assessments, one must realize and remember that the Auto Train is a somewhat unique movement as far as a passenger train. Its length, number of axles, and unique consist make it so. Add to that the detour that caused it to vary away from its Florence SC crew base; the Hours of Service Law which is non-negotiable and cast in stone; and the special certifications needs by Auto Train T & E crews--all these factors combine to create the situation for this spectacular delay. While this situation is not necessarily a frequent occurrence and one cannot be expect it every day, Amtrak should plan for the average occurrence and then work around the clock to mitigate passenger discomforts and concerns.
I know that those of us who post occasionally or regularly on AU over the past months have often been quick to criticize Amtrak operations deficiency on a variety of issues, but if the many reports of irrational passenger behaviors during this week's Auto Train reroute due to the CSX freight derailment are even partially accurate, perhaps we need to rethink or refocus our criticisms. Unless you were actually a passenger or crew on the Auto Train movements involved, one does not really know all the details and can only review those reports of irrational behavior by passengers. I personally don't know what to think about the issue. As a railfan I would be interested in the details but I suspect that will really never happen.

I did not think pets were allowed on the Auto Train.
I assume they were service animals.
I have taken the train for 16 years now and never have seen a pet aboard.

Great. Now the rest of us have to subsidize the irrational whiners. They got 20 hours of free lodging and food. What more could they want Amtrak to do? Granted, the comm. from staff onboard sounded horrendous but that’s worth a $200 voucher at the absolute most
If this is how you truly think, this is an absolute joke. 20 hours of free lodging and food? Is this satire?

This is a delay of 20 hours while the train trip was supposed to take no longer than 18. And due to the uniqueness of the auto train, it is not possible for the people to leave and seek alternative transportation. This was not trains, planes and automobiles where you could hop off and try your luck in other ways. You were at Amtrak's mercy. Amtrak is responsible for this and this is the very least they could do.

In Europe, air carriers must pay you a €250 COMPENSATION if they bring you 2 hours or more late. Even if a ticket was cheaper. That's it! And that's how it should be. In terms of trains, you are entitled to 50% of fare if train brings you in 2 hours or more, and 25% if 1 hour or more.

It seems like we have a long way to go as a country in fight for passengers rights.

I did not think pets were allowed on the Auto Train.
I assume they were service animals.
I have taken the train for 16 years now and never have seen a pet aboard.
My recent post- saw at least 3 owners with dogs waiting to board including this one with two

On our recent AutoTrain trip we were surprised to see several service dogs. This included two chihuahuas seated next to us. I was surprised that the handler encouraged us to pet them, She said they had received certification after training courses but it was hard to tell as one tried to climb in my lap. But we were glad to get our dog fix!

I asked how the dogs relieved themselves and she said service dogs are allowed off the train at the Florence, SC service stop in the middle of the night and the SCA wakes them up before arrival there. I do wonder what happens when the train is delayed significantly as one trip we experienced.

Sounds like the train did stop in an accessible place. From RPA hotline:

“Unlike the hapless Wolverine passengers this past Fall, these AutoTrain passengers had heat, power, food, water, and working toilets throughout this incident. They were stopped at a small station in Denmark, SC, for about seven hours while the train waited for a new crew to replace the staff who had run out of service hours, which means any genuine medical emergencies (had there been any) could have been addressed safely. Extra food was put on, with pizza brought on board in Savannah, GA, and more breakfast food put on the train in Jacksonville, FL. Crews handed out snack packs, too”

Is the auto train consider a freight train as well because of the cars it travels with?
AFAIR Auto Train is considered a freight train operation by the engineer. All passenger cars ( all north American) have a valve to set brake to freight.. That setting is because the auto carriers only have the freight brake setiing. Freight operation limits the trains to 70 MPH max speeds on CSX..

While I do wonder about the toilet situation, it seems to me the larger issue is ultimately that people simply do not understand rail travel well.

In a world of instantaneous I wanna do me, not being able to just change plans in an instant and jump off the train because it didn't meet your hopes or expectations causes its own kind of crisis. (It's almost like saying, "Give me a parachute. I want to jump out of this plane, now. I don't want to divert and have to change planes at another airport with the rest of the pasengers due to whatever issue we're experiencing. Oh, a find me my checked bag to take with when I jump out of the cabin, too!)

It's, similarly, like how my Congressman, Mike Quigley, views long distance passenger rail due to a trip he took from Washington to Chicago a few years ago. It had the typical Indiana delays and was 16 or 18 hours overall. (An extent of time he rolls his eyes over and repeats.) Of course, he's used to flying between Reagan and O'Hare fairly fast and on his own self important schedule. So this was the sort of pain which turned him against Amtrak, save high speed corridor service (which he supports and is willing to invest towards.)

Of course, we all expect good and on time service when traveling by whatever form of transport. But it isn't always possible. In such situations patience is a virtue, but it can be abused. Problems are inevitable. It's how they're responded to that counts. Yet reasonable passenger response counts, too.

Alas, as a friend once said, "Taking the train is sometimes like searching for something misplaced at a library. You'll end up with what you were looking for, but you'll get there EVENTUALLY."

Last edited:
Sounds like the train did stop in an accessible place. From RPA hotline:

“Unlike the hapless Wolverine passengers this past Fall, these AutoTrain passengers had heat, power, food, water, and working toilets throughout this incident. They were stopped at a small station in Denmark, SC, for about seven hours while the train waited for a new crew to replace the staff who had run out of service hours, which means any genuine medical emergencies (had there been any) could have been addressed safely. Extra food was put on, with pizza brought on board in Savannah, GA, and more breakfast food put on the train in Jacksonville, FL. Crews handed out snack packs, too”
With Denmark being a small station and the Auto Train being a long train, I could see where the passengers in the last cars might think they were in no-man's land. :D

It's, similarly, like how my Congressman, Mike Quigley, views long distance passenger rail due to a trip he took from Washington to Chicago a few years ago. It had the typical Indiana delays and was 16 or 18 hours overall. (An extent of time he rolls his eyes over and repeats.)
That's funny, because the scheduled running time is about 17 hours. :) I guess he should have been properly briefed by his staff.

With Denmark being a small station and the Auto Train being a long train, I could see where the passengers in the last cars might think they were in no-man's land. :D
Very true. This screenshot of a google map shows the large station in the lower left (it's waiting room is open for the Star). AutoTrain would have had to stop short of the highway crossing so passengers would have been looking at woods. But otherwise it was certainly a good spot for the crew to deal with the situation and receive supplies for the train.

Denmark is interesting in that it was originally on the route of the 'Best Friend of Charleston' which later became a Southern Ry line. Presumably since the Southern was there before the Seaboard (CSX) the station you see is oriented in that direction and the area of the abandoned track is visible between that staion and the adjacent covered platform. About a half mile away the Atlantic Coast line had its own station for their line between Florence, SC and Augusta and route of an Augusta connection to the Champion (now abandoned).

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 9.11.22 AM.png

Today’s (1-13-2023) edition of the Rail Passenger Association’s Weekly Hotline has a good account of all the things Amtrak did right during the recent Auto Train incident:
saw that article too and was very fair to Amtrak. I am a member of RPA and even though it is a small amount, I urge others to support this Association. It may be the only voice we have. Good article about Freight Train/Amtrak dilemma in this hotline.

The problem with RPA report is that there was two Auto Trains jammed up. They did not report on both, so it hard to understand which train had the bigger issues. Report from one train can easily get confused with the other. Yes the south bound was later, but the north bound had issues too.

saw that article too and was very fair to Amtrak. I am a member of RPA and even though it is a small amount, I urge others to support this Association. It may be the only voice we have. Good article about Freight Train/Amtrak dilemma in this hotline.
I saw the 1/13/23 Hotline Report by Jim Mathews which [RPA encourages membership but all hotlines are also available free online.] The AT and Amtrak’s image was hurt by the ridiculous “hostage … no food” comments made on National morning talk shows and New York Post.

In the past, I’ve read that the RPA encourages members and anyone else to write to Senators, Representatives, the Secretary of Transportation. Such that the higher-ups know the real story about the Auto train’s recent disruptions and how Amtrak and CSX handled it.”

BREAKING NEWS —the RPA has decided to have its fall 2023 meeting in MERIDIAN Mississippi. That would be on the Crescent and if traveling from New York Penn it would arrive in Meridian a little after 4AM - let’s see how the dining goes on the trip.

Last edited:
Hey all -

Question about bedrooms on the Auto Train (if this question was asked and answered at some point in the past I apologize). In the all bedroom configuration, are the bedrooms still set up like every other Superliner (specifically, shower/toilet in-room)? It's been a while since we traveled on the Auto Train and I can't remember, and the only diagram I can find for the "deluxe sleeper" configuration doesn't show the toilet/shower in room (but shows 4 toilets on the lower level). Thanks!

In the all bedroom configuration, are the bedrooms still set up like every other Superliner (specifically, shower/toilet in-room)?
Yes, they are the same. Of course in the all bedroom sleeper there are no roomettes upstairs, but four roomettes downstairs. Our last trip we chose a roomette rather than bedroom to save some money since it's a relatively short trip. We called customer relations to specifically ask for the 5240 car - one of the all bedroom cars. That way we were in one of the roomettes on the lower level and, since there are only four in the car, there was very little use of the toilets and the shower. So - no waits, limited foot traffic, and they were very clean during the trip. I believe the other all bedroom car is 5241 (53xx for the southbound train). But, we still prefer the bedroom for the extra space and convenience of in room facilities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back