Auto Train Early Arrival at Lorton

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota 400

Engineer
What to expect as a Sleeping Car passenger?

How will I know that we will be arriving early? (Sometimes the arrival seems to be an hour or more early.)

How will this early arrival impact the service of the continental breakfast in the dining car?

If the early arrival does impact the service of breakfast, how/when will I know that?

Will an early arrival require that we leave the train soon after arrival in Lorton? (My guess is that it will so that cars unloaded can be promptly claimed.)

What to expect as a Sleeping Car passenger?

Sleep...hopefully.

How will I know that we will be arriving early? (Sometimes the arrival seems to be an hour or more early.)

When you wake up, they'll tell you. If you don't wake up, they'll wake you up and tell you.

How will this early arrival impact the service of the continental breakfast in the dining car?

Service still begins at the same time but ends earlier.

If the early arrival does impact the service of breakfast, how/when will I know that?

They will make announcements and your attendant will tell you. You will also receive a final call.

Will an early arrival require that we leave the train soon after arrival in Lorton? (My guess is that it will so that cars unloaded can be promptly claimed.)

It depends on how early you arrive. If you arrive too early, the station staff may not be on duty. That typically occurs if you're greater than +90". Otherwise, yes, you will detrain soon after your arrival.

Going south, I ask the sleeping car attendant to make sure I'm up when we go through JAX. That leaves time to shave, shine, shower ... and have breakfast.

In a similar reasoning, I have a GPS Alarm app on my phone, and would set it to go off at JAX. Basically, I find this app very helpful since over night, Amtrak's progress can be all over the place. I don't want to woken too soon, nor too late. And I hate to add it that I am not all that confident in the attentiveness of others.

In a similar reasoning, I have a GPS Alarm app on my phone, and would set it to go off at JAX. Basically, I find this app very helpful since over night, Amtrak's progress can be all over the place. I don't want to woken too soon, nor too late. And I hate to add it that I am not all that confident in the attentiveness of others.
I appreciate your reply. I agree as to not being confident in the attentiveness of others. I don't have a smart phone. So, my flip-type cell phone does not provide me with such an app.

What time does breakfast service begin?

It begins at 6a.

That's a good idea. Going North, when should I ask my SCA to do this?

That depends on you. Breakfast doesn't require any type of reservations and probably won't take too long to eat since it consists of muffins, cereal, etc.

If you're running early or on time, I would suggest asking the attendant to wake you as to pass Richmond. That should give you roughly 90 minutes. If you need a lot of time in the morning, you can ask them to wake you as you pass Petersberg.

As an 8-times-a-year AT'er...I've seen it all.
#1 - you DON'T want to arrive early. They're unionized...don't come to work til the appointed time, so if you arrive early you'll literally sit on the track til they show up!
#2 - "breakfast" is cereal, pre-packaged pastry, a banana maybe. All available on a counter in the lounge car. I wouldn't set an alarm for it!!!
#3 - "breakfast" "time" varies depending on arrival time. They may start early/end early...or...not!
#4 - you will "leave" the train ASAP.

1 - you DON'T want to arrive early. They're unionized...don't come to work til the appointed time, so if you arrive early you'll literally sit on the track til they show up!

Actually, the personnel that handles the vehicles are subcontractors that aren't unionized. They are on a schedule and do not arrive early.

Private businesses hate overtime I suppose.

LOL Could you imagine getting a phone call in the middle of the night: "ummm...we want you to come to work now...NOW!". LOL 'Course on the Late side - I've had the chicken dinner in the lobby of SFA...leaving at 9:00PM! Now...there's some "overtime"!

LOL Could you imagine getting a phone call in the middle of the night: "ummm...we want you to come to work now...NOW!". LOL 'Course on the Late side - I've had the chicken dinner in the lobby of SFA...leaving at 9:00PM! Now...there's some "overtime"!
Those of us who work in healthcare definitely can imagine getting calls in the middle of the night to come to work. I don't think it happens as much now as it did a few decades ago, but I'm not sure.

When I travelled on the Auto Train in October, AT was averaging 15-30 minutes late most days (including the days I travelled.) There were some slow orders in Florida from what seemingly tie replacement work between Palatka and Deland at the time that was holding the train up most days.

If you're running early or on time, I would suggest asking the attendant to wake you as to pass Richmond. That should give you roughly 90 minutes. If you need a lot of time in the morning, you can ask them to wake you as you pass Petersberg.

Thanks for your reply. I am not at my best any more most mornings and like to take my time in getting awake and prepared for the day. "Earlier" is better than "later" for me usually.

There is still track work being done south of Palatka at some of the grade crossings near Barberville/US 17& SR 40

My brother drive a truck that uses that route on some days and he was informed of some long detours he will have to make due to grade crossing renovation

As an 8-times-a-year AT'er...I've seen it all.
#1 - you DON'T want to arrive early. They're unionized...don't come to work til the appointed time, so if you arrive early you'll literally sit on the track til they show up!
#2 - "breakfast" is cereal, pre-packaged pastry, a banana maybe. All available on a counter in the lounge car. I wouldn't set an alarm for it!!!
#3 - "breakfast" "time" varies depending on arrival time. They may start early/end early...or...not!
#4 - you will "leave" the train ASAP.
What workers, unionized or not, would arrive early? Why would they?

Breakfast on the Autotrain going South is served in the dining car for sleeper passengers but it is described as a "Continental Breakfast" with no cooked dishes. Expect it to be coffee, juice, rolls/bread, cereal, and a fruit. Its pretty basic but it has always been this way.

Thank you for your reply. I will be on #52 going North, so I assume that the dining car will also serve breakfast for sleeper passengers. A continental breakfast is fine with me; that's my usual breakfast anyway.

As an alternative to the continental, the lounge car does sell microwaved breakfast sandwiches. I believe these are the same brand as those served in flex dining and in the corridor cafe cars. I think that’s the only choice. The cafe menu is rather small on the auto train as everyone gets free meals. (At least until January)

The location of the food service area may defer depending on which lounge car you get. Most of the lounge cars on AT are former converted superliner dining cars. The food service area is upstairs on these. However at least one of the sleeper lounge cars in the auto train fleet is a former sightseer lounge. On this car, the food service is downstairs. But the menu is the same regardless of which car it is.

Last edited:
As an alternative to the continental, the lounge car does sell microwaved breakfast sandwiches. I believe these are the same brand as those served in flex dining and in the corridor cafe cars. I think that’s the only choice. The cafe menu is rather small on the auto train as everyone gets free meals. (At least until January)

The location of the food service area may defer depending on which lounge car you get. Most of the lounge cars on AT are former converted superliner dining cars. The food service area is upstairs on these. However at least one of the sleeper lounge cars in the auto train fleet is a former sightseer lounge. On this car, the food service is downstairs. But the menu is the same regardless of which car it is.

Thank you. Very helpful information.

...maybe Richmond? I'm usually up by then.

Going North last January on the Silver Meteor and detraining at Washington, I arose just before arrival at Richmond and had plenty of time to bathe, dress, and get ready to leave the train. I'll do that again this January on the Auto Train.

Back