Auto Train fares as low as $9 + your vehicle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$9 coach. $209 for the car. The Auto Train is the only long distance train I have never taken. if there is a sale on the price of the car and Amtrak will allow you to ride without a car,I'll do it.

I live in NE Pa and I would travel to South Florida. It's a 4 to 5 hour drive to get to Lorton and another 4 to get to Fort Lauderdale.

I think a sleeper is $109. That's $318 for the trip,which is $150 cheaper than than the biggest rip off on Amtrak,the Silver trains in a roomette from the Northeast to Florida. By taking the auto train in a sleeper you are getting full service dining.

if there is a sale on the price of the car and Amtrak will allow you to ride without a car,I'll do it.

A sale price for transport of one's car? I doubt it. What they do to transport the car is labor intensive. It's my understanding that one cannot make an Auto Train reservation without a car.

It says rooms are refundable -25% fee - does that still apply with COVID fee waiver?

Reason is I am not 100% sure when I want to do the trip, it may have to be moved by a day or two. In which case, sure, no change fees, BUT no more promo, if I find out in April that my June trip has to be moved by a couple of days, I would prefer to be able to cancel and not be out of over $100 for cancellation fee.

Last edited:
If I call Amtrak Guest Rewards, and ask for them to put me into two roomettes under this promo, do you think they will. I already have existing coach reservations for 4 people.

$9 coach. $209 for the car. The Auto Train is the only long distance train I have never taken. if there is a sale on the price of the car and Amtrak will allow you to ride without a car,I'll do it.

I live in NE Pa and I would travel to South Florida. It's a 4 to 5 hour drive to get to Lorton and another 4 to get to Fort Lauderdale.

I think a sleeper is $109. That's $318 for the trip,which is $150 cheaper than than the biggest rip off on Amtrak,the Silver trains in a roomette from the Northeast to Florida. By taking the auto train in a sleeper you are getting full service dining.
Hi Sidney, I am pretty sure Dakota 400 is correct, Amtrak stopped allowing non-automobile traveling passengers on the Auto Train several years ago, I am sorry to let you know that.

Back