Auto Train information/help requested

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpl100

Train Attendant
Hello, We are planning to take the Auto Train Northbound next April. I believe will will book a roomette. I notice there is an option for paying a fee to have one's car be in the first 30 to offload. That got me to wondering how many cars are on the train and how long the wait would be if you were in the last ten. Also, how is it determined who is the last off? Are the first ones to get on board the first ones off (or last ones off) routinely.

If anyone has any tips for first timers on the Auto Train or about roomettes in general, we would appreciate any insights.

Is there a certain time of the year that Amtrak usually puts the sleepers on sale? And, if I book now and there is later a sale, will they credit me the difference?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Also, how is it determined who is the last off? Are the first ones to get on board the first ones off (or last ones off) routinely.
The offloading is not determined by the timing of vehicles getting on. From what I have seen and heard, the only way to guarantee your vehicle to be among the first offloaded is to pay the fee. If you wait until the last minute, you likely will not have that option. I am guessing the northbound Auto Train in April will be pretty full since many snowbirds leave Florida that time of year.

I can confirm - other than the priority offloaded vehicles, there is no rhyme or reason to which vehicles get unloaded first (or last). A busy auto train can take 2-2.5 hours to fully unload.

This was for the old schedule, but I never did priority northbound. The scheduled arrival time was such that being first off would just put you right into the teeth of DC rush hour traffic. I never minded waiting an hour or two; traffic usually was lighter if I left the station at 10am rather than 8.

If you do not have to be at your destination in a hurry, I would not bother with the priority off load.

The roomettes are very narrow bunk beds about 30" wide. If close confined areas bother you, the roomette is not for you. The top bunk your nose practically touches the curved ceiling.

The top bunk your nose practically touches the curved ceiling.
Don’t think the top bunk is that bad, but is a bit coffin like. So if close quarters bother you, you might consider two roomettes across the aisle from each other (call Amtrak to help with that) or, better yet, spring for a bedroom that sometimes has reasonable prices. Good advice to not pay extra for priority offloading unless you’re on a tight schedule. A weekend arrival is better if you want to avoid worst of DC traffic.

They do have pop up sales no specific time. Last winter I got coach seating at $29.00 each way. The original price we paid was $89.00 each way.

I keep checking the prices after I make the reservation and call Amtrak if the price drops and they issue you a credit that you get to use within 1 year.

We are regular users as we own 5 weeks at a timeshare resort and the dates are fixed so we can book our travel early.

I wouldn't bother with priority off-loading unless you had to have it. It took only 35-40 minutes for my car to be off-loaded and by the time I got on the road, the D. C. traffic was, maybe, less hectic. Even then, I took the wrong exit, got into downtown Washington where I did not want to be and lost. Thank goodness for Onstar!

On my only Autotrain trip I paid for priority on the Southbound trip and it was nice. Coming back Northbound the priority spots were all taken up so I had normal offboarding. It was fine. I'd say i waited about 20 mins to get my car and I was one of the last people to go. LIke others said if you have a time crunch pay for it (before it runs out) just to be safe.

Don’t think the top bunk is that bad, but is a bit coffin like. So if close quarters bother you, you might consider two roomettes across the aisle from each other (call Amtrak to help with that) or, better yet, spring for a bedroom that sometimes has reasonable prices. Good advice to not pay extra for priority offloading unless you’re on a tight schedule. A weekend arrival is better if you want to avoid worst of DC traffic.

Is there enough space on the top bunk to turn over?

Is there enough space on the top bunk to turn over?
Yes, plenty of room for that as well as raising your head up on pillows to read, but don't try to sit up straight! I usually unhook the straps on the edge of the bed. Probably not the safest thing but haven't rolled out yet! But it makes it a lot easier to slide into bed if you have to get up at night.

Is this true of all Superliner roomettes? (Lower floor has more upper bunk headroom than upper floor upper bunk)
Lower level upper berth:
1655842611436.png

Upper level upper berth:
1655842665010.png

The difference is the flat ceiling on the lower level, vs. the curved ceiling due to the roof line on the upper level. I don't know whether there's a difference at the edge nearer the hallway, but there does appear to be more height near the wall.

On my only Autotrain trip I paid for priority on the Southbound trip and it was nice. Coming back Northbound the priority spots were all taken up so I had normal offboarding. It was fine. I'd say i waited about 20 mins to get my car and I was one of the last people to go. LIke others said if you have a time crunch pay for it (before it runs out) just to be safe.
Is there a best time to arrive for priority? I've paid the exorbitant priority-unload fee for an upcoming southbound trip. I've ridden the auto train twice before, without priority. In both cases I was one of the first to arrive and be loaded and, what was a surprise to me, was one of the last to be unloaded. I guess they use LIFO not FIFO. Does anyone have similar experience with the priority unload? I paid the fee because time is important this trip and I don't want to be the last priority unload. Thanks.

Is there a best time to arrive for priority? I've paid the exorbitant priority-unload fee for an upcoming southbound trip. I've ridden the auto train twice before, without priority. In both cases I was one of the first to arrive and be loaded and, what was a surprise to me, was one of the last to be unloaded. I guess they use LIFO not FIFO. Does anyone have similar experience with the priority unload? I paid the fee because time is important this trip and I don't want to be the last priority unload. Thanks.
Priority unload means you will be one of the first twenty vehicles unloaded from the train. There is a fee for this, and you must reserve this when you buy your ticket. If you pay for priority unloading you will be one of the first twenty vehicles unloaded regardless of when you check in (just be sure to check in before the cut off time).

If you do not pay for priority unload, your vehicle will be unloaded at some point after the priority unloads, and there is no rhyme or reason to it in terms of check in time. Again just make sure to check in before the cut off time and hope for the best.

The only real advantage to checking in early (besides making sure you don’t miss the check in cut off time) is that dinner reservations are taken at the time of check in. If you have a specific preference for your dinner time you are more likely to get it by checking in early. Late check ins generally have no choice; they get whatever seating times are left. If you are traveling coach or you don’t care when you eat, then there is really no benefit to checking in early.

Well I paid the ridiculous ($79! - and I'd thought $50 was too high) priority-unload fee for the southbound trip. I don't think it's worth the price. The trip, however, was nicer than other auto train rides I've taken - the car steward was great and there were Amtrak chocolates in the room. Not so on the northbound today, it was back to the usual spartan -not even a box of tissues- setup. We did get in 30 minutes early, however, which was nice.

Back