Auto Train Meals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It wasn't just side, it was entree also. Everything is about costs. less choices, lower costs.

If less choices means less customers than lower costs may not be a good idea.

But I mean if it works for Amtrak and McDonald’s it must be the right way? Lol

McD here is just the basics - no frills, including salads. About 6 burger choices, a couple of chicken things and fries. Pretty much what was laid out in the link posted earlier. Fortunately they've retained hot tea here - more of a staple of the Canadian breakfast than in the US. ;)

If less choices means less customers than lower costs may not be a good idea.

But I mean if it works for Amtrak and McDonald’s it must be the right way? Lol
I never said it works, I only said they were doing it....If you make a menu smaller, but keep quality high on what you do serve it can work in many cases...one of the main thing you see in common on the different restaurant rescue type shows is shrinking the menu, and putting out a good product

I never said it works, I only said they were doing it....If you make a menu smaller, but keep quality high on what you do serve it can work in many cases...one of the main thing you see in common on the different restaurant rescue type shows is shrinking the menu, and putting out a good product

It can certainly work - in-n-out is a good example of a small menu. But I don’t think McDonalds improved their quality, they just lowered their menu items.

If they turn around and start showing per-store profits like chik-fil-a and in-n-out than they made the right decision.

Same with Amtrak... if the average Amtrak rider is pleased with the current food service and it encourages them to ride in the future and tell their friends to ride Amtrak as well.... great. They made the right call.

They have improved quality in some areas, the shift from frozen to fresh on quarter pounders, for one, and a few years back they changed to a better coffee blend. Time will tell, they are too large to be nimble.

As a McDonald's customer for many years, I agree that the quality has improved as well as the pre-Covid menu selection. The All Day Breakfast was a winner and increased business. As an example, their Fries are good, but having a Hash Brown Potato wedge once in awhile in place of the Fries was welcomed by me. I wonder: is Filet o'Fish still available?

Never cared for the all day breakfast - I wish they'd offer some regular food items (burgers/fries) in the morning !!

McD here is just the basics - no frills, including salads. About 6 burger choices, a couple of chicken things and fries. Pretty much what was laid out in the link posted earlier. Fortunately they've retained hot tea here - more of a staple of the Canadian breakfast than in the US. ;)
I'm curious - do the Canadian McD(s) have packets of malt vinegar for the "chips"/french fries.
I remember the first time my Canadian cousins visited us in Maryland, they were in disbelief that our McD did not have vinegar.
That's how they eat their fries, with salt & vinegar. I must admit that once I tried it, I liked it - & I add vinegar whenever it's available.
I also like salt&vinegar potato chips! :)
As to Auto Train - I don't expect 5-Star Gourmet Food onboard, but a decent hot dinner, and breakfast would be greatly appreciated,
commensurate with the premium in the costs of the bedrooms.
BTW - I didn't think anything at McD was a "healthy" choice- IJS :p

I'm curious - do the Canadian McD(s) have packets of malt vinegar for the "chips"/french fries.
I remember the first time my Canadian cousins visited us in Maryland, they were in disbelief that our McD did not have vinegar.
That's how they eat their fries, with salt & vinegar. I must admit that once I tried it, I liked it - & I add vinegar whenever it's available.
I also like salt&vinegar potato chips! :)
As to Auto Train - I don't expect 5-Star Gourmet Food onboard, but a decent hot dinner, and breakfast would be greatly appreciated,
commensurate with the premium in the costs of the bedrooms.
BTW - I didn't think anything at McD was a "healthy" choice- IJS :p
They do have packets of white vinegar for fries. Malt vinegar was offered during their short trial of fish and chips at some locations. It didn't stick.
6e38738ffc8b6bf0422cf2dbeb39f990.jpg

Malt vinegar was offered during their short trial of fish and chips at some locations. It didn't stick.

That's consistent with my usage. I always thought that the Malt Vinegar being offered, was for the fish part of the Fish&Chip entree (Arthur Treacher's, Long John Silver's, but never McD's). I guess I am one of those dumb "southerns" (living south of the Canadian boarder) who has it wrong.

Either vinegar will work on the fries, but I do prefer the malt vinegar on the fish 😀
I used to like to eat at Arthur Treacher's Restaurants, and used a lot of their malt vinegar on Fish/Chicken/Fries.......YUMM!

Either vinegar will work on the fries, but I do prefer the malt vinegar on the fish 😀
I used to like to eat at Arthur Treacher's Restaurants, and used a lot of their malt vinegar on Fish/Chicken/Fries.......YUMM!
There's still some Arthur Treacher's in business - saw a video the other day about them. They're now part of another chain.

There's still some Arthur Treacher's in business - saw a video the other day about them. They're now part of another chain.
I'll have to search for one.
Any in Florida ??
Arthur was a Good 'Ol Chap! I liked his part as the Constable in Mary Poppins :)

Things fell into place for me, I retired at 56 1/2 (reduced pension, but keep medical, optical, dental and prescription for life) So I teach classes to apprentices and journeyman skill enhancement courses in the electrical industry, and coaching education classes for USA Hockey. It's on a when I want to do it basis, so I can set my own workload, and it sure helps keep me from becoming a broccoli..

Things fell into place for me, I retired at 56 1/2 (reduced pension, but keep medical, optical, dental and prescription for life) So I teach classes to apprentices and journeyman skill enhancement courses in the electrical industry, and coaching education classes for USA Hockey. It's on a when I want to do it basis, so I can set my own workload, and it sure helps keep me from becoming a broccoli..
I do some teaching on the side, also.
I'm an adjunct faculty for the local community college, and I hope to continue with that in retirement.
This year has been an anomaly, obviously, but hope it will pick up again soon.
ET:)

Back